Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,297 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,389 reviews
on August 4, 2010
I am somewhat knowledgeable about weather stations and I found that for under $40 the Ambient Weather WS-1170 is a great buy. I found that temperature, humidity, and barometer all had accurate readings. It uses a frequency of 433MHz that doesn't interfere my other wireless stuff.
I made a video review if you want to see it.
5150+ comments| 1,311 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2010
AT LAST, an indoor-outdoor weather station that is simple to set up, easy to re-program if you choose, easy to read, and reliable. And it costs much less than the other brands that I tried and discarded. I tried a Lacrosse wireless weather station and ended up throwing it out. It was an engineering nightmare whose set-up was so complicated and counter-intuitive that it was impossible without the instructions. And it needed to be set-up anew everytime you changed the batteries. Heaven help you if you lost the instructions! The Oregon weather station required specialized tools. I have a lot of optical equipment with screwdrivers of all kinds and sizes, but none worked. I sent the Oregon station back. The set-up of the Ambient is simple and intuitive, with almost everything being done for you. All you need is a standard philips screwdriver. Basically, insert the batteries and it does the rest. Re-setting is simple. The Ambient display is also clear and easy to read. Not so the Lacrosse. Others make the same complaint about the Oregon. The Ambient weather station actually works, and that tells you everything you need to know. The fact that it is much cheaper, delivery is timely, Ambient keeps you informed about the packgage's whereabouts, and confirms delivery are all pleasant extras. Good to find a company at last that treats customers as if they actually matter.
44 comments| 655 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2015
This is the second Ambient Weather WS-1171-B barometer that we've had. We had the same problem with both of them; the outdoor portion stops working after 6-9 months. I purchased the first from Amazon, and it malfunctioned after about 6 months. Amazon was kind enough to replace the first one with the second one in January, and the outdoor portion has stopped functioning again. We've tried changing batteries, the usual troubleshooting stuff. Though I appreciate the replacement, I'd prefer to have something else that might last longer than these have.
on April 2, 2014
Numerous attempts over 24 hours at syncing the remote did not work. Removed and replaced batteries with another set multiple times and still no connection. Returned to Amazon.
The feature set seems good, if everything worked, never got a chance to find out. The size of the unit is OK and the snooze/light button on top could be handy. The display is a little hard to read, and overly complex with large areas devoted to graphics that don't really contribute to the information/function.
Also, the unit I received was not the one advertised on the website. The description is for the WS-1171A, which is the latest product model that includes re-sync with the "+" button among other useful features. The unit shipped was WS-1171 and did not include the new features.
Other reviewers have commented on returning this product multiple times to get one that functions but I don't want to be the quality control department for this company.
Overall, my impression is not good and I would not recommend.
My husband and I are weather/temperature junkies, and we own Oregon Scientific and La Crosse stations as well as this Ambient one, for the atomic clocks as well as the weather. When one of our Oregon Scientific outdoor transmitters failed, we decided to buy a new unit instead of just a replacement transmitter. We tried and returned a LaCrosse unit for not properly transmitting. failing to set the atomic clock even after several days, and being too difficult to read. Although we hadn't heard of Ambient, we decided to take a chance on it because of the other reviews. We are really glad we did.

This unit is accurate. The temperature and humidity readings are are within a couple of degrees/points of our other units, but this slight variation is due to different placement of the transmitters. When a transmitter from another unit is placed in the same location, the two match exactly. The default display is fairly easy to read in a well-lit room. There is a bar on top that you can press for temporary LED light backlighting in dimmer conditions. The green LED light is uneven, although the entire display is still readable/entirely visible even in a dark room.

If you are looking for a midsize weather station with an atomic clock, this may be your product. Other, generally more expensive, brands offer topnotch larger units (I have a large La Crosse that I adore), but this one offers both value and utility.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann
on February 16, 2017
Replaced another i had that was several years old that we had come to depend on. Was hoping it would pair with the old sending unit, but it wasn't having any part of it, not sure why. Once i switched out the old for new outside sending unit and let it find each other, took a couple of hours for the temp and humidity readings to lock in, it was off to the races and has been spot on ever since.
on January 29, 2016
VERY DISAPPOINTED IN AMBIENT! I have had this product for less than 14 months and after calling the Ambient customer service, I was told that I would have to buy a new remote, the warranty is only for a year. After a cold spell in the Atlanta area the outdoor reading froze at 34 degrees. The remote was hung in a screened-in porch area so no rain, wind,etc. would it. I should have known this was not a good product, when it would give a beep every few minutes for no reason, then stop and start again maybe days later. The remote is almost half the price of a new unit. Needless to say, I will not be buying any more Ambient products. Two stars because, I still get time, indoor temp and humidity, as well barometric pressure, but the main reason for purchasing it: OUTDOOR READINGS. Don't WASTE YOUR MONEY IF YOU WANT IT FOR THE OUTDOOR TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY!
on June 2, 2015
After researching and shopping for months, I picked this set; what a mistake!!! They can write all sorts of technical stuff and claim all these options, features, adaptability, but in the end, it was a piece of junk that never received a signal from the sensor unit. The main base we used anyway, or tried to in the home, but it would not give the alarm when the temps/humidities were reached! Glad I nevr put it into my incubator! We only used it a few months but it stopped working and with changed batteries, it refuses to work. It had corrosion showing in the battery case, though both sets of batteries we used were fresh and new! When we checked it's readings with that of a professional HVAC man's meter readings; we found a deadly 6 degree temperature difference and a 12 % humidity difference! That is enough in an incubator to fry those embryonic eggs to death, while having too much moisture for the eggs and membranes inside to dry properly to allow a successful hatch, even if the embryo did succeed in surviving deadly temperature! I will never buy anohter Ambient product.
on September 30, 2011
The Ambient Weather WS-1171A wireless 'advanced' weather station has it all - indoor & outdoor temp's, indoor & outdoor humidity, dew point, barometric pressure, and so much more! There is a 24-hour graph displaying the rise/fall of the barometric pressure over 3 hour increments, 4 different forecast display symbols: rain, cloudy, partly-cloudy & sunny - with changes based on the barometric readings over the past 24 hours, as well as other data; I appreciate this function, as it has been right 'on-the-money' so far. The station also has an atomic clock with alarm, and a green backlight for night-time viewing. Another important feature is that the station gives you the ability to adjust and calibrate certain readings. Out of the box, the temp's were accurate, the indoor/outdoor humidity was off just slightly though, so, I initially adjusted it based on the "WeatherBug" readings for my area; Humidity can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, so I ultimately adjusted the humidity by buying the Ambient Weather RH75CALKIT 75% RH Humidity Field Calibration Kit through Amazon, and now the humidity is accurate for my locale. I recommend that anyone who does purchase this superb weather station to also purchase the humidity calibration kit; It is very simple to use, and can be reused if you move to another geographic location - over time it is natural for the humidity readings to 'drift' somewhat, so I do recommend recalibration of the humidity settings at least once a year. As far as the wireless feature of the station, it comes with a very durable and high quality remote sensor, which also displays the temperature and humidity. I have the remote sensor positioned about 20-25 feet from the weather station, and have had only an occasional glitch with regard to the reception of data it transmits. Another thing - read the instructions carefully when setting up the unit, i.e., the batteries need to be installed in a certain sequence to ensure proper readings, allow about 6 hours (or more) for it to synchronize itself, after that, proceed with calibration. With regard to calibrating the barometric pressure - I referenced various National Weather Service station checkpoints for my area (Nevada) to get an average, and then proceeded to adjust the barometer based on those various readings - "WeatherBug" came in handy for this. All in all, I am quite pleased with this product, it has had splendid reviews, and the price was truly exceptional - kudos to Ambient!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 7, 2011
Pretty Easy to set up. Did have to make some minor adjustments to the humidity levels. I really like the small outdoor "remote" unit that sends me data on outdoor temps. Looking forward to putting it through it's paces this winter.
I did learn one thing............ dont put the oudoor transmitter in close proximity to the indoor station when setting things up. I took the batteries out, put new ones in and left the outdoor unit next to the indoor unit. Couldn't figure out why I was getting lines on the indoor display rather than what the outdoor unit was showing ( the indoor temp and humidity...i wanted to test the units to see if they read the same thing) Then I read a small note in the instructions that the if the unit's are too close together, the will interfere with one another AND/OR if the outdoor unit is too close to metal objects.......so dont hang the outdoor unit on the outside of your metal front door.
The only dislikes I have are just a matter of personal taste. I wish the first display on the left of the unit was the Temperature then the Humidity. I wish the barometer bars started showing their readings going from left toward right. That would give you a better indication of what has been,to where it is now. Just seems making the display run from right to left is backwards to me. The other station barometer displays I've had in years past ALWAYS flowed from left to right. The other is the Snooze light. The upper part is nicely lit, but the lower half is somewhat dark. The light itself might be partially obstructed by the display board......an assembly issue. The light should be evenly spread out over the entire board. Other than that, I'm enjoying my weather station.........that's why the 4 stars out of 5