Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,173 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,620 reviews
on January 21, 2015
This is my favorite movie. Words can't even describe. I found this movie when I was only a little kid, and I used to watch it alone in my room like it was a secret. It felt like it was made for me, and I didn't want to share it with anyone else because it was MY movie. I've talked to a lot of my friends who have seen it, and they used to think the exact same thing. Amelie, although quirky and a little awkward, is touchingly relatable- especially if you yourself are a little quirky and awkward. The storytelling and narration are dry, maybe a little sardonic, and the characters are incredibly vibrant and colorful. There are little touches of the fantastical and science fictional, but somehow that just brings you closer. It's a beautifully spun realistic narrative that seems like a fantasy, which kind of makes you feel like you're as vivid and interesting as the characters. It makes you feel special. It's beautiful. I would recommend you watch it, but I still feel a little possessive of my favorite movie.
on December 24, 2014
Destined to be one of the top classics of all time. Because of the circumstances of her upbringing, Amelie is a loner and shy. There is an elderly fragile artist in a downstairs apartment who she meets and who indirectly gives her advice and comments on her life through a painting he is working on, on which she projects herself onto a girl in the picture. There is a mean man working a market who has an intellectually challenged young man working for him. And then there is the guy who shy Amelie spots retrieving pictures from under a photo booth, and for him she forms an infatuation. When he loses a photo album which Amelie recovers, it becomes Amelie's chance to meet him. Amelie is full of stratagems, as she plots to meet this guy, discover the strangeness of one person appearing over and over in the photo album of discarded pictures, perpetrate some sort of justice on the mean man, and have the traveling gnome bring happiness to her father. You will enjoy this light comedy and be intrigued as these stratagems unfold. See it, enjoy it.
on December 8, 2013
One of my favorite movies of the early 00s, and seeing it again on Blu-ray was a treat. The transfer was solid (I didn't do bench mark tests or anything of that technicality, just watched it on my Samsung HDTV and remembered how it looked in the theatre and the DVD I had, but hadn't watched in like 5 or 6 years). There are some flaws that are revealed, but I think that's a function of how CGI and other VFX compositing and coloring was done when the film was produced.

The story, acting and directing is all top notch, as this film put Jean-Pierre Jeunet at the height of the internationally-acclaimed filmed directors after doing director-for-hire work on ALIEN 4.

Always meant to be a love letter to the City of Lights, Amelie still carries its fairy tale charm (that you'll either love or hate, I happen to love it) and Audrey Tautou shines as the titular character. The director's signature is writ at large on this film, and its style is superbly executed.

The extras on this Blu-ray mimic those from the DVD (at least I think, I don't remember what was on the DVD and I don't want to look that up, because anyone can do that at DVDBeaver or some site like that with better accuracy than I can give).
on January 6, 2013
Movie: This movie is in my Top 5. It's just so whimsical, imaginative and fun. It makes you cry from happiness and you smile almost the entire film. Amélie plays a matchmaker to random Parisians and goes on a journey or self-discovery that she can't stay introverted and alone. You must watch it. I mainly made this review to state some issues on the Blu-ray...

Blu-ray quirks: This Blu-ray does not allow you to press Top Menu or Pop-Up Menu (or anything) during any of the trailers, company promos, etc. The only button that you can press is the Skip forward button, which takes quite a while if you Blu-ray player is older like mine. The blu-ray that I purchased from Amazon does have a menu when you finally get to it that does have a Setup menu, unlike another reviewer mentioned... It has the standard Play, Setup, Scenes, and Special Features, but is not intuitive. It makes you press the left arrow to escape out of menus and doesn't have any explanation onscreen. All of the menus move when you move your cursor and it's just hard to use.

Blu-ray: The movie is beautiful in HD, sounds great with the dts-ma hd 5.1 French audio. It even has a dts calibration tool and dts-hd trailer that I have not seen on any other Blu-ray. I have owned this on DVD from long ago and now finally Blu-ray. It's well worth being in anyone's library!
on February 1, 2014
The creativity shown in this movie is remarkable. I am in awe of writers who can come up with this stuff. There are a lot of great messages about life told from a fresh perspective. At the moment that the protagonist is learning about the unfortunate death of Lady Diana, she accidentally stumbles upon an item which triggers her desire to do a good deed. That leads her to go on to perform several more good deeds for people. You get to know and come to appreciate the various characters in this story--the good and the ones with faults. Finally her elderly wise neighbor nudges her into doing something significant for herself and her own future.
on May 29, 2014
I've reviewed lists that people have posted regarding their "top 10" movies of all time, and Amelie has been on many of those lists. Don't know why I waited this long to watch it. It's so cute and so different. I didn't think I'd like a movie with subtitles but I sure did. Audrey Tautou is so funny as Amelie. After finding a treasure box that was hidden by a former occupant of her apartment, she decides to find him and return it to him (secretly). He is so happy to see it, that Amelie decides to devote her life to her friends, and to making them happy, and eventually, finding love and making herself happy. Every actor gives a wonderful performance. I especially liked her landlady, Madeleine. She's the one that Amelie told, "I'm no one's little weasel"......
Anyhow......just watch it for yourself. I predict you'll love it. It's now on my list of "top 10's".
on March 18, 2013
Admittedly, this movie may be a bit difficult to follow for non-Francophones. There are many, many references that are very cultural and may completely go over the heads of people who are unfamiliar with the French culture and language. But if you, like me, are at least semi-fluent in French and have even been to France (my favorite town is Lyon, not Paris), you may love this movie as much as I do. I only say this because it is a very visual movie (what movie isn't...?), so you will miss out on a lot if you have to continuously feast your eyes on the bottom of the screen to read. That said, I loved watching it on my Kindle with the X-ray turned on, and it had a lot of fun trivia about the making of the movie (for example, that the director had the filming areas cleaned to portray the fantasy-world that Amelie lives in). I didn't know that the first time I watched the movie, and having just freshly returned from The City of Lights, I recall thinking to myself (10 years ago) "Wow, I don't recall Paris being that clean". Well, it isn't. Amelie is a classic, and I've loved every other movie with Audrey Tautou (Dirty Pretty Things) ever since.
on March 24, 2015
By now approaching the status of a cult modern fairy tale, Amelie never ceases to ignite a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling that requires a long drink and a blanket.
Cheesy? Absolutely.
Simplistic? Definitely.
But also light, quirky, playful, 'innocent' and yet somehow strangely gripping and deep.
And of course, like every self-respecting fairy tale, Amelie packs a couple of visually well crafted lessons that give us a glimpse into what it would be like, if we could balance a seemingly dichotomous existence of an adult life with a certain childish innocence, fearless curiosity, and excitement.
on September 6, 2014
Charming. A bit odd, but to be honest with myself, I like the odd a bit. Amelie is a charming but lonely young lady who finds photo album with photos torn and put back together. The quest to discover the owner is on, and on the way she solves her equally quirky, odd friends and compatriots problems and brightens every ones lives. I do not want to spoil this movie for those who have not seen it, but I highly recommend this. French with English subtitles.
on March 23, 2012
Amelie is without a doubt one of the most witty, funny, and universally charming films ever made. This film should be in everyone's rainy day collection. It never fails to warm my heart and cheer me up. People far more eloquent than me have been gushing about the sublime story, acting, and direction for the last decade since the film's release. I'll be content to gush about the Blu-ray version.

WOW! Beyond every endearing aspect of this film in an emotional and intellectual sense, it is a cinematographic splendor of eye candy. I remember being amazed by its visual beauty when the film was first released, the Blu-ray technology is splendidly rendered in this remarkably beautiful film. The colors pop and burst in each seen. The color Green is so present in this film, it's is like a character in its own right. Every hue is magnificently rendered in the Blu-ray version.

As another reviewer noted, there are a lot (six 2+ minute length) of previews on the Blu-ray that you have to fast-forward individually, which is always disappointing on a non-rental disc.

Whether or not to upgrade films to Blu-ray is entirely dependent upon the quality of the transfer. A lot of care and expertise went into this transfer. It is gorgeous! Highly recommended!