Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook: 200 Low-Fuss, Good-for-You Recipes
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School STEM

on February 14, 2013
I bought this cook book in hopes of getting some inspiration on fairly simple & healthy recipes for the slow cooker....I was a little disappointed. I don't really understand using a crock pot for a meal that could just as easily be prepared on the stove in the same time frame. None of these recipes are really fix it & forget it....many of them have steps at 4 hrs, 6 hrs and again before serving. Also....I noticed many recipes want you to pre-cook the ingredients. I really wanted healthy recipes where I could dump ingredients in the cooker in the morning, go to work for 8 -10 hours and come home to a ready meal.
77 comments| 378 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2012
The recipes in this book are obviously healthy for you and I plan to try some when I get the time. The thing is, most of the recipes I've looked out are rather involved. When I use a slow cooker, it is for ease and convenience. I put the dish in in the morning, turn it on and come back to eat it at dinner. I don't need recipes that cook in 3 1/2-hours, or a recipe where I start with some ingredients; take them out a couple of hours later; put in other ingredients, etc. I may upgrade this rating after I've tried a few recipes, because it certainly would be nice to use my slow cooker to make really healthy dinners. This book seems to offer that.
1414 comments| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2014
I'm having a ball with this book. I do concur with previous reviewers that there's more prep/partial cooking required here than in other slow cooker cookbooks. I have family members home most days, so I can cope with a recipe that needs to be loaded in at 2:00 pm and cooks in 3-4 hours, but obviously that doesn't work for every household. I've also had to kick up or adjust seasonings with a few recipes. That said, I truly appreciate the tremendous variety of recipes, the fact that there are no processed food ingredients, and the lower fat content of the dishes. Besides that, the bit of extra effort required by these recipes is more than made up for by the time I save not scrubbing the stovetop and countertops after conventional meal prep.
on January 10, 2013
I am a slow cooker fan....load it up and forget it until your hungry. And for anyone that has to make a lifestyle change to stay inside of heart healthy guidelines, this can be a bit tricky. But this book has shown me that I can have all the flavor and the convenience of my slow cooker too. And brought to you by the poster children of heart healthy cooking. I spent a lot of hours pouring through the jungle of heart healthy cook books, but kept coming back to this one. There are a few others on Amazon that are also great, but this is definately one you want on your shelf, if you like slow cooking.
on December 30, 2012
Ok, I bought this as a gift for someone I work with who now at age 50+ and isn't fond of cooking, must keep to a low salt diet. She loves this book! Her idea of cooking was opening up some ready made food. As we know convientance foods are loaded with salt. Now my co-worker, who still hates to cook, throws all of the ingredients into her slow cooker and comes home to a healthy ready-cooked meal that she says are really good tasting, easy to make, easy to clean up and actually less expensive to make than the heat and eat meals she has made for years.
on October 3, 2012
I got this book recently and have already tried three of the recipes. I appreciate that a variety of ethnic cuisines are represented, and that the directions were easy to follow and the ingredients readily available. And because some of the recipes include steps like browning the meat before putting it in the crock, it doesn't all taste the same (or all taste like stew). So far, I've had Lemony Fish and Vegetable Stew, Flank Steak with Artichoke Ratatouille, and Cuban-Style Pork With Orange. Next up are probably a stew with pork and butternut squash, and possibly the Moroccan-spiced chicken thighs or vegetable curry.
on February 4, 2013
Ok, I have tried two different recipes from this book, and both of them were bland as heck, which was disappointing, since I did the Mediterranean Chicken and then the Moroccan style chicken. The Moroccan style chicken smelled WONDERFUL, with all the spices...but it was just absolutely blah when served. all those spices that I spent time rubbing into the chicken? Didn't permeate it at all, and I let it cook for about 5 hours. :(

I am going to give it one more try, but so far it's 0 and 2 for a score.
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2013
This cookbook is awesome! Tried several recipes and they did not taste like the traditional recipes for crockpots.The ingredients list is short ad items usually in the kitchen.
on June 25, 2013
I found this book at the library first, and kept referring to several recipes to make from it. That decided me that I had to have my own copy so I wouldn't keep the library's copy hostage any longer. I use the bean recipes frequently, as a way to use the abundant quantities of peppers and herbs coming from the garden. They are convenient and very tasty. I especially like that the recipes aren't the standard "Crockpot Conformity" kind you see everywhere, they are different and flavorful, and unique. The crockpot helps keep dinner on the table during the work week by letting things cook slowly while I'm away, and this cookbook is one of my favorite go-to resources to keep dinner interesting. I never liked the old "open a few cans, dump them in, and walk away" versions of cooking in the crockpot, so this cookbook is in a different, much better, league of its own. I refer to this cookbook weekly for new ideas to try out, and it just keeps on giving inspiration. Plus, the house smells great of dinner cooking when I walk through the door!
on December 30, 2015
This is one of those books I regret purchasing because while it shipped Prime I could not return it without paying the shipping cost. The book pretty much sucks (hate to be so blunt but that is how I feel). I wanted a heart healthy book that had easy to make recipes. This is not that book. There is far too much prepping, weighing and cooking - both before and after the cooking. The book relies heavily on things like no salt added beans or fat free sour cream or fat free cheese. Well if I am going to eat healthily I will certainly make my own beans in my pressure cooker or slow cooker so that I can avoid the salt and any other stuff they put in the can. And once you tell me to use fat free substitutes - most of which are made with gross//non-fresh ingredients you have lost me. Ditto with telling people to cook with Worcestershire or soy sauce - even if you are using the lowest sodium possible. I also object to cooking spray in a can. I prefer to use the olive oil that I have in my own sprayer. There is no meal plan and too much meat. I could see lots of people making bad choices. There are too many sweet dishes - heart healthy is not only about limiting fat and cholesterol but also sugar. For instance, why not have a recipe for quinoa, kale, and garlic rather than maple syrup quinoa. Finally, the whole point of a slow cooker is to be able to make things while you are away. I can make many of the things that are in this book faster and more easily (both in terms of cooking and cleaning) and probably healthier than this set of recipes.