Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on September 28, 2013
"Once An American Phenomenon"

The authors collect photographs and history of the American Drive-In theaters that once dotted the American landscape. Every town had one, and they drew families in their automobiles out for a movie in their own living room - the car! Perhaps the height of the drive-in theaters came in the 1950s, with monster films and teenagers on dates. Today they are gone, but their memory remains with those who grew up in that decade of fast cars, invaders from Mars, and a neat place for teenagers to neck without parents watching from over the couch. In the book also are pictures of the Snack Bars - remember "It's Intermission Time, Folks" - and the playground up front for little brother to vacate the car while big brother sneaks a kiss from his date.

I came out of the 1950s generation, and remember the drive-in theaters with fond memories. Living in Wichita Falls, Texas, I went to the Seymour Road Drive-In, as well as the Twin Falls Drive-In, and probably several others. I also went to the Brazos Drive-In Theater in Seymour, Texas as well as San Antonia, Texas, but don't remember the name. I do remember the last time I went to the drive-in, it was to see "Damnation Alley" in Grand Forks, North Dakota in the late 1970s. The San Antonio drive-in had "dollar night", and my wife would pop popcorn and make cool-aid, and we went quite often. It was cheap entertainment at the time, and we loved it.

This book will bring great memories back to those who remember them, and introduce those who never knew them to an American icon of a bygone day.
on December 11, 2015
A great book on the old Drive In movie theater and how life was in America in the 50's and 60's
on November 29, 2009
Do you remember the first time you were in a normal theater watching a movie? I don't. But I remember the first time I saw Star Wars was in the drive-in theater while on top of the station wagon. I remember watching Herbie going bananas in a drive-in and the Apple Dumpin Gang in a drive-in. I was lucky enough to visit the Drive-In Theater in the last days of its winter. Kind of.
This book brought back memories. Of course I was not there when it was born, I was not there for the post-war boom or when it went from a Family Night Out to a teenage passion pit, nor did I watch adult films in it. I don't remember getting any food there - I think we brought in our own - but I do remember the playground, the speakers in the window and the star filled sky.
A Drive-In Theater is a part of history, like those old fashion full service gas stations or old fashion diners. When food was fatty, cars were huge, movies were fun, and people liked it that way.
The book is full of facts, photos and tons of humor. So grab it now and visit the nearest drive-in theater! One with second run films, mustard covered hot dogs, and lots of artwork.
on January 31, 2013
I have had this item on my Wish List for just under a year but it was priced like a collector's item because it had been published in 1997! Then the book was re-published THIS YEAR!! It is a beautiful hardback book with fun pictures and great information. I'm an east coast person so I wish there was a higher representation of our theaters (NJ/PA) but it is still a great book! Don & Susan are my new favorite people and I intend on sending them a letter to thank them for the book.

Background: I own two other Drive-In books and have been visiting abandoned drive-in sites, as well as two operating ones. I intend to see at least three open drive-ins this year (in addition to Delsea Drive-In, my regular drive-in).
on June 30, 2017
Lots of drive in memorys
on May 6, 2014
Love this book -- fun read and great coffee table book/conversation starter. Keep one at home and, if you're a professional, i.e., doctor, banker, etc., keep one in your lobby. Makes people "smile" and that's a good thing!
on April 19, 2015
This somewhat "overproduced" volume is nonetheless valuable as yet another contribution to a vanishing American Landmark. From Cornfields to elaborate "Citified Monuments", the Drive-In Theater strutted and played out its part on the American Stage. It will, I think, be missed.
on February 25, 2017
February 25, 2017

Another excellent addition, For My Project With My Family And Ketrina.

Thanks,

Rollin Ressegieu☺
on March 22, 2017
Terrific Book! Love it.
on October 10, 2001
Being a huge fan of drive-ins, I really looked forward to reading this book. The only criticism I have is the sequence of the actual chapter text of the book, and the information inserts that the author has throughout. It is very "chopped" up. Reading the chapter, then turning the page to find there is information pertaining to something else on the next page. The chapter text starts a couple of pages later in some cases, breaking up the continuity. Other than this, it makes for a very interesting read for those who enjoy nostalgia and want to be transported back to a more simpler and fun time.