Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on April 6, 2015
Difficult to locate places of interest near planned travel routes and destinations. Map showing sites is low-resolution and site numbers are barely legible. Map has no highways or other useful features to orient the user. No correspondence between site numbers and page numbers. Would be much better as an interactive app with geo-location features, than as e-book.
on August 9, 2015
It goes in the glove box. I'm a rock guy/natural wonder guy. I think it will be interesting as we travel the wonderful USA.
on July 23, 2015
If you love geology like I do, you are going to love this book. While I haven't read it cover-to-cover, yet, it looks like Dr. Dickas has compiled a wonderful field guide. The book has excellent color photos for all locations; and there are very understandable explanations of the geology along with colorful maps, cross-sections, and strat columns where helpful. In the Foreword, we learn he's had traveling companions change from "So?" to "Wow!" when told the significance of various sites in Europe. --With this book, you can "Wow" your friends in the U.S.. We can't wait to get out and start seeing the sites!
on December 14, 2015
A wonderful book with wonderful pictures and clear explanatory text. Each site is dealt with by two facing pages... photos and diagrams on the right-hand page, and text on the left-hand page. You can read (and be amazed by) an entry in just a few minutes. This is the perfect bathroom book for the vicarious armchair geologist in the family.
on May 13, 2017
Nicely done. Not too scientific, but definitely not just superficial. I plan to give it to my son, who is a geologist, to use when he travels to zero in on places that might interest him.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 22, 2012
As Dr. Dickas so aptly states in the Forward of 101 Geo-Sites You've Got to See, "we do not all have means or temperament to travel to out of the way places." But such sites abound in the United States. This a working book, one to keep in the car when traveling, but by chair-side or bedside when planning the travel. It opens our own world to us with succinct and erudite explanations of what happened---and continues to happen across our country. The photos and illustrations are an enhancement to the text. It is a "must have" to those of us who find topography most interesting, and have been "rock hounds" since childhood. The glossary is an especially fine feature.
on January 31, 2018
My daughter's boyfriend is a geology major and loves this book. Beautiful pictures and loads of information.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 24, 2012
An amazing effort and daunting accomplishment on Professor Dickas' part in bringing this up-to-date, knowledgeable, fact-filled travel companion book to fruition. It is incisive writing about a rocky subject that only first hand expertise can bring to the written word.
This is readable, informative and exciting Geology at a level most of us can feel comfortable with. I agree wholeheartedly with 7 of the 8 previous reviewers and acknowledge the 8ths respect for the Grand Canyon, but I feel that might have been redundant given all the coverage the Grand Canyon already gets.
This book will end up a best seller in its field. I intend to take the book with me on my next peregrination and check off the sites I am able to visit.
on September 7, 2013
Great reviews of the top geological sites across North America. Well written, with solid explanations on how the formations came about. Fun read when you have a few minutes to spare.
on September 9, 2014
Has good pictures. Descriptions are fairly scientific but I have enjoyed looking thru it especially reading about the places I have seen.