Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,775 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,631 reviews
on July 15, 2017
Soon after I started reading this book, I got the nagging feeling that I wanted to be deeper into it than I ever was and could get myself, as though I wished I were 50 pages or so into the future. There is some really inventive imagery, but Shadow just wasn't driving me aa a lead character, and while Gaiman clearly knows his mythology and some of the common insights behind pantheism, I feel he didn't transform or bring new insights into that realm ultimately.
on November 16, 2016
After seeing the movie when it first came out and then buying it when it came out on DVD/BluRay and found out it was a book first, I had to get it. I wanted it in Hard Back as I am huge reader and have a large library and prefer to have them in Hardback form as they last longer. The book did not disappoint. The movie was excellent and the book is even better and am super happy w/ it.

I have read several book by Neil Gaiman and this is by far one of the best if not the Best Novel he has ever written. Such a great story and for those romantics out there you will really love this book, as it shows that anyone can find love in even the most remote of places and really teach what love is, etc. Enjoy!
on July 19, 2017
Another Gaiman classic. More a teen book than a kid's book (it would be more kid appropriate if the sex wasnt in it- but you can skip that easily enough if you are reading to your kids. Not being a prude here, but if reading to 8/9 year olds, you would likely feel better skipping the sex part (just a few paragraphs).

Fantastic imagery, great book, good humour, wonderful fantasy.
on October 11, 2012
Neil Gaiman writes stories of many different kinds. This is, by far, the happiest, nicest, prettiest story I've read from him. It is a fairy tale, written almost by the rule. But, being from THE Neil Gaiman, it had to be terribly epic as well.

This book is... it's fantastic by all the definition of the word. It's about what happens in the lands where fairytales come from. About how the people from our world vaguely interact with them. About how our lullabies are songs of great power or wisdom in 'that' world. It's a story about betraying princes and lost heirs to the Throne. About immortal love. About secret wars.

I'm not exaggerating. It's all in there.

This book also has that "that" which made The Lord of The Rings, epic. There are lots of charactes that come in and out of the story. Characters with backgrounds you can almost glimpse, before they flee into the background once more. You can almost feel that world, behind the main story. A living, breathing world.

Written in perfect victorian style, it's a story you won't be able to put aside, so I recommend the reader to be ready. Don't start this book if you won't be able to finish it immediatly. For every minute you pass not knowing what became of young Tristran Thorn, will be a minute of wishing you didn't stopped reading.

For remember...

Tristran Thorn
Tristran Thorn
Does not know why he was born
And a foolish oath has sworn
Trews and coat and shirt are torn
So he sits here all forlorn
Soon to face his true love's scorn
Wistran
Bistran
Tristran
Thorn.
on July 12, 2017
I felt the writing was very articulate, but not too high brow. It was very readable. The main character was a likeable guy, but I felt I never really knew him. The defining moment that happened prior to the book opening was never really explained. Overall I felt like there was no middle to the story. You just meandered along trying to figure things out and then it's the finale. Even the finale was anti-climactic. I'm not really sure what happened. I could see how this might be a compelling tv show with the visuals, but it left too much to my imagination. It was well written and it flowed along fine, but I wanted more depth.
on January 21, 2016
So you've seen the movie, you're bored, think this is a sure thing, "meh" "good to fall asleep on..." Wrong! Exiting book, nothing like the movie, really captures your imagination, you cannot predict what will happen, very complex developed characters. Hopeful, suspenseful, light hearted, thoughtful, it has it all. Neil Gaiman is a master storyteller with a limitless imagination. You cannot guess what will happen page after page, you think you can predict it but you'll find yourself wrong. Give it a try, you will love it.
on August 12, 2011
Except for the fair that is held in a mysterious meadow once every nine years, the people of Wall never cross the wall into the faerie meadow.

Dunstan Thorn meets a beautiful, enslaved woman at the fair and nine months later a baby is delivered to his doorstep.

Dunstan's son, Tristran, grows up not knowing his heritage. When he falls in love, he rashly promises his beloved that he will do anything for her. Not really taking him seriously, she asks him to bring her back a falling star.

Tristran sets off into the land of faerie in search of the fallen star, only to discover that the star is a sharp-tongued young girl. Their journey exposes them to great danger from a witch and the surviving Stormhelm brothers, who all are willing to harm the star for their own benefit. Along the way, Tristran's good heart leads to help which comes from unexpected places.

The writing is witty and lyrical. A couple of sex scenes make this more appropriate for mature readers.

The audio version is especially delightful as Neil Gaiman reads it himself.
on April 11, 2015
Dear Reader;

I don't usually like Gaiman as a story teller; that said strangely I do enjoy his stories. Besides if Terry Pratchett liked him enough to collaborate occasionally then I'm obviously missing something so I keep reading his work trying to find out. Secretly, I believe it is because he is clever, humorous, and has a killer vocabulary and I just don’t see it… no accounting for taste

I did like this book mostly because it a bit different from the film which I recommend over this book… But that’s me, what can I say? However, if you like Mr. Neil’s works then buy and enjoy.

Regards,
Scott C.
VINE VOICEon March 27, 2010
In a previous review I said that Neil Gaiman's writing style reminded me a lot of Douglas Adams and now I wonder if I was more correct than I originally thought. American Gods is a story about the Gods and mythical characters of various pantheons and folklores living in America, mere shadows of their former selves. Taking on the roll of semi leader is Odin himself who now eeks out a living as a con artist. `In Life, the Universe and Everything' Douglas Adams had Arthur Dent meet the actual Norse god Thor at a party and in one of his final books, `The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul' Adams explored the idea of Norse gods living in Britain in a greatly weakened state. Odin, in particular, had descended into a condition where he lived only for the luxury of a nice hospital bed and an attending nurse. So is it just a coincidence that Douglas Adams and Neil Gaiman wrote about nearly the exact same topic? There is also a tie-in with Gaiman's later book, The Anansi Boys, as Anansi the Spider is featured in this book as an aging black man with yellow gloves and wonderful stories. Regardless of whether this is an homage to Adams or merely some cosmic coincidence this is an absolutely fantastic book. You could also argue that American Gods is a continuation of the theme established in the 1984 film The Neverending Story where the power and ultimately existence of fantasy creatures are dependent on peoples beliefs or lack thereof.

Between Douglas Adams and Neil Gaiman, Adams had a much keener wit but Gaiman is a better storyteller, in fact he is one of the best storytellers I have ever read. Gaiman's first novel, Stardust, was a good but flawed effort but the other two I've read including American Gods' have been spectacular. Gaiman is one of those writers who makes it look effortless with a light breezy style. He manages to bring the reader into his world which is always just slightly askew from our own.

My biggest and perhaps only issue with the book is that it reads like the directors cut of a film with all the deleted scenes left in. At just shy of 600 pages I would say that trimming the book down to a leaner 400 or so pages would have tightened up the story significantly. There are even a few side stories completely separate from the main one that, although well written, could be jettisoned with no loss to main plot. If you just can't get enough of Gaiman's writing you may want every sentence retained but personally I found these occasional diversions unnecessary and even the main plot felt like it could have used some tightening. Still, I never found it ponderous despite its length.

I read this entire book during a two week trip to Asia saving at least a quarter of the book for the flight home and it definitely made the journey easier. This one is a page turner and I was more than pleased with the ending. From my experience endings are the hardest thing for a writer to pull off and after nearly 600 pages Gaiman had damn well better deliver. Although I'm giving Gaiman top marks its unlikely I will read it through a second time. It has neither the brevity of a Douglas Adams book or the grandeur of a series like Lord of the Rings but with some serious trimming might make an excellent film.
on December 16, 2013
Stardust is a phenomenal read... for those who saw the movie, please don't expect the book to have the same happily ever after that the film provided, OR the slapstick comedy. Certain characters' roles were reduced, some greatly expanded (Captain Shakespeare is a different character entirely, is barely mentioned, and is certainly not a cross-dresser). The final climactic battle between Tristran and the witches never occurred, etc. Instead, you get a sense of true adventure, a realistic romance, and a truly old-world feeling to the story, that brings you back to the visceral time when Disney had not yet relegated tales of wonder to small. children. Please read this.