Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on January 30, 2012
If you can't find the work you're looking for then you probably shouldn't be applying it to your vocabulary! I was extremely impressed with the quality of this dictionary and the pictures/illustrations are a great addition.
on September 5, 2015
I think it's the best dictionary on the market for it's size and price range.
I have the older publication as well.
Good illustrations, root words, language source and notes.
One complaint. It did not come with a book cover. Small matter but
the hardcover is (or was) white. Had to make my own cover after it started looking dingy.
on February 2, 2016
I'm a poet. This is one of the better dictionaries I've ever owned. This dictionary does not include synonyms or antonyms and this is alright with me because I prefer to use a thesaurus to search for similar and opposite words. The hard-cover is wrapped in fabric and embossed, and the binding is of good quality. The interior is full of color illustrations on bright white paper. The text is small so you might want to consider reading glasses to enlarge the text for comfort and enjoyment. If I ever find this dictionary available without illustrations and with larger text, I will certainly purchase it again and keep this illustrated one for a spare. While I never rely on one dictionary alone, I believe I will be reaching for this one quite often.
on July 27, 2016
A review by Don the Baptist of “The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. Fifth Edition”. While I usually do not write book reviews without reading the text in its entirety, this is an exception to said rule.

I have had this dictionary for about three months, and I am completely satisfied. The user will find an abundance of full color photos throughout the text. In fact, it is easy to look-up one word, and then get stuck reading the definitions of other words. This never happened with my other “jumbo” dictionaries.

Unique to this work are “word histories” and “usage notes” which I find to be both helpful and interesting.

Lastly, with over 2,000 pages, the information that you want is probably within its pages.

Again, I am satisfied with my purchase.
on February 5, 2013
In spite of the negative reviews, this dictionary is, in fact, excellent and exhaustive. Every random word I have looked up so far, I found. There is a free app for smart phones, tablets, etc that is included with your purchase. It is high quality paper and all the words are in blue so they are very easy on the eyes. Would definitely recommend this dictionary to anyone who would like an authoritative reference source.
on February 8, 2012
The title says it all. This dictionary is so chock-full of words/names/slang and photos, that it puts other dictionaries to shame. My husband "fell in love" with the fourth edition of this dictionary at a friend's house and was absolutely delighted when I bought him this one.
on June 20, 2015
It's a great dictionary. Notice for other buyers though: this absolutely does not come with an iOS redeem code. I made the mistake of downloading the iOS app and seeing the line "If you purchased AHD5 in book form, redeem codes are available here: <link>", and thinking I could buy here and get the old two-for-one deal. Wrong. I emailed Enfour Support and received this email:

"Thanks for your email.

The free app codes were a special campaign that was for the launch of
the hardcopy in 2011. This campaign finished some time ago.

The app and the book are sold separately.

Thank you for your understanding."

Still leaving 5 stars because the book form is great. Just a warning for other buyers in the same position!
on October 29, 2015
I have read some criticism of this product, which say things like, "disappointing".

I can only review this dictionary as an ordinary home user with a couple of years of college. Perhaps some professional lexicographer can see arcane flaws that are beyond my ken, I don't know. But AH became my favorite dictionary when I got a free one in 1970 from a bank for opening up a checking account. It was GREAT then and it is GREAT now. The numerous pictures and photos often lend themselves to greater understanding of a word.
on April 18, 2014
My linguistics professor introduced me to this remarkable text. I won't bother stacking superlatives here, but I wish I could put a copy of it into the hands of every high school student in the country (and get them to open it and use it). Every house in America should have a copy, just like the Bible.
on January 21, 2013
I hate to give this product a low review. I love The American Heritage dictionary. The hard copy dictionary is perfect in every way and a steal at the current price offered of $37.50. When I searched it out at a brick and mortar store it was priced at $60.00 It's visually impressive and looks great displayed.

I originally purchased the kindle version as I prefer digital dictionaries. I returned it for a refund (you can do that with kindle purchases if you find them unsatisfactory) within twenty minutes. The kindle version is hairball of data that you have to pull apart yourself, page by page. There is no search function whatsoever. You can access a table of contents alphabetically and from there you must turn each page. So if I wanted to look up Azalea, I would have to start on page Aa, and digitally turn each page to get to Azalea. Whoever was in charge of the kindle version should be fired, it is an appalling waste of time and it is digitally incompetent.

I bought the hard copy here on Amazon after price comparing with brick and mortar stores, motivated mainly by the access code for the android table and/or Ipad app. The app is far more thoughtfully constructed than the kindle version, as you can actually search for words. However, it is entirely redundant because it requires wifi to access the app. Which is irrelevant because AHD.com offers the exact same resource, for free, no access code required. So if you're not in a wifi accessible area (yes they do still exist), its useless, and its useless anyway because if you are in a wifi accessible area, you can access the dictionary free via their website. Additional heads up, even if you are still interested in the app, the access code that comes with the hard copy has now expired.

So all things considered, I would not make this purchase again. I have nothing against the hard copy. It is rather beautiful in a nerdy-book-girl way and I do have it proudly displayed. Yet, in the age of modern convenience I rarely use it, because my tablet and/or laptop are much more user friendly.

Great dictionary, but inadequately updated for the modern age.