Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 309 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 713 reviews
on March 15, 2017
What a great American legend is Johnny Cash. The video of his cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" is excellent & deservedly award-winning, and Cash's interpretation is flawless. When I was a very young child I heard June Carter (Cash) on The Grand Ole Opry, via radio, and was delighted by her personality and sense of humor. Her appearance on the Hurt video, very shortly before her death (& subsequently his) is extremely poignant. Album has a very fine collection of songs rendered by Mr Cash.
on December 8, 2011
Cash fan since i was a child & my grandparents played him around the house. Appreciation just grew up with me. Don't ever listen to any country music, myself. The man in black isn't at all country to me, he is pure blues, rock, & soul - hard driven, with a voice that states he's been there & knows;
a somwhat dulcimer to barritone, very manly tone. He tells moral stories on occassion, about himself; he makes me think of the concesquences I'm responsible for, and where i could end up. Sometimes he talk-sings to you, you don't walk away unmoved. Subjects he covers: Good and evil, justice (some day), shame of ourselves, being poor, traveling, Death, stuggles of all types, love & how that can bring you to your knees too, & pure happiness, pride, enjoyment of life & it's pleasures. Too many to list. He covers tracks by various artists' (Depeche Mode, & Trent Reznor) for instance. These take on new lives, to become their most poignant with Mr. Cash. He covers every genre & knows no boundaries. Welcome to the Mr. Johnny Cash Experience. Only in America.
Bought "America 4: The Man Comes Around" cd, because they did not have "Unearthed" and it had some of the tracks, along with "The Legend of CASH", i was set. "The Legend" has a lot of older songs as well as, 'Dehlia's Dead', & 'Rusty Cage' (orig. by Sound Garden).
Great production also, it's like you are in his home sitting near by.
on December 1, 2002
Nobody transcends generations of pain and insight quite like Johnny Cash. No matter if you're into rock, country, jazz, blues or even classical-there's a place in your collection for the Johnny Cash who has been making great music on American Recordings for more than a few years now.
The fourth installment on American is "The Man Comes Around." And how. Yes, Johnny covers more songs previously made popular by other artists. Yes, his voice is weathered and broken in all the right places. And this is exactly what makes this CD one to cherish. If Cash's treatment of such songs as Roberta Flack's "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" doesn't move you, try on his take of Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water." If that doesn't do it, you're too jaded and shallow to be listening to anything this emotional and you'd be better off warbling along to something Celine Dion just crooned about for the fifty-seventh time on Lite Rock.
Cash is the original Johnny Cool. Period.
on May 21, 2003
I have heard both Trent Reznor's and Johnny Cash's versions of HURT. Trent's version speaks from a young person's point of view and is fine...but in the hands...and voice...and soul of Johnny Cash, it takes on a resonance and meaning that NIN can't even begin to touch. I have seen the video and listened to the song numerous times and I cry every time. It is particularly heart wrenching now that June has passed...Everyone I know goes away in the end...how much more than one man take?
The other songs are good...and the album is superior...but I honestly listen to it for HURT. This album is the crowning touch to a phenomenal career but HURT is the diamond in the crown...his whole life in one song. People need to get over categorizations. This is brilliant MUSIC, no matter what the genre. This is a brilliant musician. He does not have the best singing voice, but his vocals have more soul in them than ANYONE else out there now. I would put him with Billie Holliday when it comes to singing from the very core of being.
Singers like Johnny come our way so infrequently...we need to hold on to him as long as we can.
on October 31, 2016
I bought this cd for my brother and he likes it. I listen to some of the cd with him and it sounds excellent to me. The sound quality was very good. Delivery service was very good. Thankyou
on April 29, 2016
As a fan of American music, blues, country, rock, heavy metal, jazz and the American story, this album gave me chills. It's not just an old man singing songs and a producer trying to get more music out of him before he dies. He really has stories to sing to us and you can hear the wisdom in his voice. I love the production and instrumentation, or lack of instrumentation sometimes. Cash did what he did best on these last albums, tell the story of American people living, loving, suffering.
on January 18, 2017
Purchased Cd When playing with Windows Media Player, Groove Music Player. All songs are mislabeled.
Amazon sent replacement, same problem all songs mislabeled . Seems to be a Boot Leg Cd!
on May 30, 2017
Great songs played by a legend. Awesome.
on July 26, 2017
Love Johnny Cash and his music.
on February 3, 2015
This album is simply incredible. Hard to believe it took me this long to buy it. I'm so glad I got that little discount offer from Amazon, because I don't go looking for a lot of albums to buy...I have a few artists that I buy regularly, and everything else is readily available on Spotify. I'm very happy to own this one. Taking songs written by (to him) kids and singing them with the voice of age gives them an entirely different vibe. I am NOT into country music, but for the most part, this isn't country music. It's a classic.