American Idol Season 2: All Time Classic American Love Songs CD
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Frequently Bought Together
Stefan Grossman ~ American Idol Season 2: All Ti
Interested in visiting your favorite contestants from the second season of American Idol? Then this is the album for you, but be forewarned that something is lost in the translation from the small screen to the compact disc. Simon Cowell's scathing comments and Paula Abdul's head tossing add to the human drama; without those visual embellishments, the recorded version falls flat. Sure this is a talented bunch, but the material is mundane, with few of the finalists straying from the traditional arrangements. But when they do, it's sometimes worse. Ruben Stoddard's rendition of the Carpenters hit "Superstar" reeks of misplaced sincerity. The best cut on the disc is Kimberly Caldwell's throaty cover of Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly With His Song," which gives the song some well-needed grit. And while Julia Demato's voice is no match for Etta James's full-bodied version of "At Last," Demato gives the classic a fetching kittenish spin. --Jaan Uhelszki
Top Customer Reviews
Unsurprisingly, Clay turns in the best performance on the CD, effortlessly bringing a new sound to the classic "On The Wings of Love" .. his voice is just naturally perfect. Good to see he's stopped over-annunciating his words quite a bit.
The surprises on here were the really good quality of performances delivered by Kimberly Caldwell (she sounds great on "Killing Me Softly") and the under-appreciated Charles Grigsby. When he sings "Overjoyed" he actually sounds like he means it - and it sounds great. I hope these two find success outside of the largely-fixed American Idol.
Unimpressive were Julia Damato (she makes the soulful "At Last" sound like a country song sang at a picnic) and the heinous Corey Clark (his vocal cords sound stretched beyond the limit and in danger of snapping through most of "Open Arms"), and Lashundr.....err..... Trenyce sounds OK on "Let's Stay Together" but she DOES have a good voice, and could have chosen a more fitting (though preferably non-Whitney) song to sing.
Kimberly Locke will also put out a great CD, I'm sure, as will Ruben. Overall worth the investment, but skip the cheesy group numbers..
1. What the World Needs Now-(4/5) now the thing in this song is that it is well done but it really wasn't the greatest rendition I have heard but it is definetely good because the different vocals. Kinda cheesy at the end with Julia.
2.Superstar-(4/5) Now I am not a fan of ruben but I must say that his voice is amazing for this song.
3.On the Wings of Love-(5/5) Clay sang this song like no other. He makes any song sound amazing. His vocals are phenomenal.
4.At Last-(2/5) I am not sure but I think Julia was cute but her vocals didn't seem that great on the show and this song was pretty but it doesn't sound like her....vocals are decent.
5.Three Times a Lady-(5/5) This song is awesome for Josh. I can't believe that he sang this song so well. His country tone is heard a little bit but not obvious. This shows that he really can sing. Vocals are good.
6.Let's Stay together-(4/5) Now trenyce has great vocals and I am happy that this song is on there but it is the only upbeat song. Her live version is better. What is Trenyce's last name?
7.Back at One-(4/5) Rickey really surprised me with this song. I can't believe that he pulled off this song so well. His vocals are great his upper register sounded great.
8.Killing me Softly with His Song-(5/5) Now I have to admit that this version of the song is just superb. I can't get over that she sang this song. I have fallen in love with this song and her singing it. Her vocals are ontact. This song shows her upp register very well.
9.Open Arms-(2/5) Corey has a ok voice but it kinda gets on my nerves and I love the song but I didn't like his vocals on this song.
10.Read more ›
1. What the World Needs Now-The kids sound great, but I HATE THIS #&^(*^#( SONG! What a sappy piece of junk. The melody is simplistic, the lyrics banal and trite. Pavoratti couldn't sell this one, and neither can the Idols, though they sure try. No stars.
2. Superstar-Rueben. Nice. Very Nice. It's a little too long, but it really shows off Ruben's soulful voice. One thing that annoys me-why does he always say "And your guitar...And you sound so sweet and clear" its "And your guitar-it sounds so sweet and clear." Annoys me every time. I'm petty I know. 4.5 stars.
3. On the Wings of Love-Clay. Outstanding. Perfect or close to it. He hits every note and really shows off that incredible range. 5 stars.
4. At Last-Julia. Hmm, where was this girl on the show? Julia proves she does have a great voice. Anyway who could sing this and not pale in comparison to Etta James would be doing good. Julia does that and more. Impressive. 4.5 stars.
5. 3 Times a Lady-Josh. Another surprising performance-Josh does really well here. No pitch problems, and none of that fake twang he sported on the show. Just pure emotion. Confused by the reviewers who say he's singing for his wife-listen to the words, this is a breakup song-but a great interpretation. 4 stars.
6. Let's Stay Together-Trenyce. Trenyce does something I thought would be impossible, she makes me like this song. Tina Turner, one of my favorite singers, couldn't do that.Read more ›
Superstar-Ruben-Rubens velvet voice is in full effect on this beautiful ballad. Many predict he will win. 9/10
On The Wings of Love-Clay-Clay is the winner in my opinion. His stunning tenor sounds effortless. A cheesy song yes, but Clay makes it his own and he sounds incredible. Its nice to finally have his voice on CD. 10/10
At Last-Julia-What a disappointment. He basically ruins this Etta James classic. She should have done Breathe by Faith Hill and should never ever sing this song again. 1/10
Three Times a Lady-Josh-Josh is a very likeable performer with a nice, rich voice. Perfect song for him, and he sounds great. 8/10
Lets Stay Together-Treynyce-Her sultry powerful pipes are missing on this version. Her live version blew me away, but she still has star quality and I would buy her cd the day it came out. 8/10
Back At One-Ricky-I have to admit I was never a fan of Ricky Smiths, but he sounds wonderful on Brian Mcknights stunning ballad. He basically imitates every note and riff, but thats pretty impressive considering Brian Mcknight is one of todays most gifted vocalists. 8/10
Killing Me Soflty-Kimberly Caldwell-I've always like Kimberly Caldwell. Shes fun and funky with a great voice, but something is not coming across on this recording. Could have done better. 7/10
Open Arms-Corey-Clay sang this for his Top 12 performance and he did it 10 times better.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Love it. My first album disappeared and I was so glad to be able to buy it again.Good choice and good songs!Published on June 7, 2014 by funbunn40
Some better songs would of gone down, better on this CD.
Clay is the best and the song he sang is tops.
Season 2 of american idol (in my opinion) had the best talent. the biggest voices and broke all stereotypes. Read morePublished on June 29, 2007 by PHUNKlamb
Seriously, this CD is BAD. The only song that I can say is any good is Ruben Studdard's rendition of Superstar. Read morePublished on July 17, 2006 by laurie
This cd is obnoxious. The artists all seem to compete by seeing how many notes they can add into one syllable. I have never heard so many slides on the notes.Published on September 24, 2005 by Karen Ensign
I really enjoyed this CD.
They picked good songs to sing and the vocals were good.
God Bless The USA was really good at the end!
As a professional singer and Voice Teacher, I am so thrilled to see how American Idol has given the art of singing such a jump start in these last few years. Read morePublished on August 9, 2005 by Ariella Vaccarino- creator of "Voice Lessons To Go"
What can I say? Love it, love it, love it.
Easy to like songs, great vocals, well done job all round.
In particular, Kim No. Read more
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Look for Similar Items by Category
- CDs & Vinyl > Blues > Contemporary Blues
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Adult Contemporary
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Dance Pop
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Oldies > Baroque Pop
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Soft Rock
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Vocal Pop
- CDs & Vinyl > R&B > Motown
- CDs & Vinyl > R&B > Soul > Blue-Eyed Soul
- CDs & Vinyl > Soundtracks > Movie Scores