Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

American Mary
Format: DVD|Change

on November 10, 2016
The movie was good. Definitely a change of pace from most horror movies coming down the pike recently. It was fun to watch Katherine Isabelle in something that wasn't absolutely horrible. It's been since the first Ginger Snaps movie that she's managed to be in something original. The music was pretty terrible though. It was like an early 2000s movie scored by Jonathan Davis. I honestly kept expecting to hear some remix of Got the Life playing in the club. Seriously bad music. Good movie though.
on November 8, 2017
I saw this film on TV two years ago. I loved it. It is perfect for Halloween or if you are in the mood for something different. The Sosa Sisters wrote and directed the film and from what I seen they have done one amazing job. They are geniuses!
on March 10, 2017
The movie is great in its self. But I ordered multiformat, as it was listed different than DVD or blu-ray, and I only received blu-ray. Otherwise great.
on July 8, 2017
The description of this movie is so misleading. They make is sound like Mary is just greedy....not so. This movie is so much more. There are reason's why Mary is the way she is. This is an excellent female horror flick. No spookie stuff or things jumping out at you or demon's....this is scarier. It's creepy as hell! The other character's in this movie enhance it a hundred percent. This is a good flick to watch around 4:20.
on July 29, 2014
Not a bad movie... And I watch LOTS of movies and many end up in the "bad" category. I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. And that it kept me interested. Whoever says this movie is disturbing and gory is clearly new to horror movies b/c it's not disturbing. Yes there's blood but it doesn't show much of anything actually. I also liked some of the other characters as well, so that made the movie better too. If you like movies that are a tad different, with some likeable characters, watch it.
on August 3, 2013
I wasn't thrilled with this film, but I remain very interested to see what the Soska sisters do next. Horror has plenty of remakes and recycled concepts. So I was happy to see this film for a nice change of pace and style. Fans of body modification should enjoy this for what it is.

The scoring does a fine job enhancing the politely visceral tone as we first meet medical student Mary (Katharine Isabelle) practicing her incision and suturing skills on a store bought turkey. Talented, but finding herself in a difficult financial situation, Mary lets a club owner hire her to play "mob doctor" for cash. This slowly begins to resculpt Mary's moral compass, transforming her from almost naively innocent to readily corruptible.

Shortly thereafter, we meet the surgically distorted Beatress (Tristan Risk), a cartoonishly weird character who pulls Mary deeper into her illegal medical practice. Beatress and her friends are interested in elective surgeries that are refused by doctors because of their extremity. As Mary accommodates these taboo surgical desires, she herself desires more novel modifications to stimulate herself. This swings into body modifications beyond what you'd find leafing through the latest issue of Taboo magazine and she even uses her unique niche skill set to exact revenge on those who have wronged her as she climbs her way into underground subcultural fame.

Needless to say, it's hard to write about this movie without ruining the surprises within.

The acting falls short of the highly effective tone, the dialogue falls even shorter. It's disappointing. I really wanted to take these characters seriously but I found it impossible. I was especially irked by the attempts to depict entitled, egomaniacal surgeons. It was as if someone started the background of a masterpiece with this especially taboo tone, scored and set so well with an underutilized premise, but then filled the foreground with poor writing and stale delivery. I thought Katherine Isabelle did VERY well in Ginger Snaps and her small role in Being Human, but now I'm left to wonder if this rigid performance was the fault of her direction or her own acting. I'd prefer to blame the direction, which failed to impress on several other accounts as well. And Katherine was not outperformed by any other members of the cast.

This film was written and directed by Jen and Sylvia Soska. They haven't done much and I felt that it showed. The inclusion of elective genital modification surgery, rape and surgery addicts felt forced. These concepts are naturally shocking on their own; they don't need to be over-sold. I really wanted to believe that this was meant to be more than another pervy exploitative shock flick. But once I saw how Jen and Sylvia Soska wrote themselves into the movie with over-the-top body modification extremists, it was apparent that they were more concerned with celebrating body modification than they were with telling an interesting story. They may have been passionate about this film. But it strikes me that they never considered how others would view the film without living life through the lens of their subculture.

This review comes with its share of negative criticism, but I'm also very interested to see what else the Soska sisters can do and what kinds of projects they'll pursue. Horror has plenty of remakes and recycled concepts. So I was happy to see this film for a nice change of pace and style.
3 helpful votes
on April 20, 2014
I enjoyed this movie for it's originality. I find that a lot of Hollywood horror is just a rehashing of the same style that became popular with "The Blair Witch", so I am not enjoying the majority of films released in horror nowadays. This also stars Katherine Isabelle who has become a cult classic icon for her roles in "Ginger Snaps" and the many guest spots on TV shows like "Supernatural" and more recently, "Being Human". If you want to find a complete synopsis of the film go to imdb.com
on July 28, 2017
great
on March 15, 2017
great
on May 26, 2015
This was a total surprise. I was upset at what I'd thought would be a simple vengeance plot but then it turned in a new direction and we get to see Isabelle run with the lifestyle she was forced into and make it her own.

I really didn't like the ending (I'm a sucker for happy endings) but I can't win them all.