Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 71 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 74 reviews
on December 30, 2012
I saw an article about this book in USA Today and ordered it for my wife for Christmas. It is a wonderful commemorative because it honors my wife's career and her profession. She is now retired. During her nursing career, she was a Navy Nurse, a teacher of nursing at a university, a psychiatric nurse, a head nurse on an orthopedic ward and on a post-partum OBGYN ward. She was a float nurse, taking calls for nursing care anywhere in a large metropolitan area. She ran a pain control program. She was a hospice nurse, and ran a hospice program. She worked all shifts. She cared for the rich and famous as well as the poor and forgotten. If you think she flitted around, she did, because she followed me all over the world as I pursued a military career. Her nursing was rich in loving care, human experience, and sacrifice. Except for the details, you can read about her career and her experiences in 'The American Nurse'.
on September 5, 2016
My friend and I were nursing students when "The American Nurse" was showing in Kansas City- about 9 hours away. We decided that we needed to see this movie. It changed our lives! We were so inspired that we decided to hold a fundraising showing in Fort Worth where we live. All proceeds were donated to a local charity for grieving children and families. Now we are both nurses working in local hospitals. Carolyn captured the very essence of what the spirit of nursing is all about. Everyday time I work I think of the nurses featured and how I want to be like them. To impact a patient's life and to help make them better than when they first became ill. Inspiring!
on November 4, 2012
The American Nurse is a special portrayal of the Nursing profession in America. The photographs and stories give a unique perspective of the varying roles of Nurses across the country. Their stories are heart warming and the photographs are beautiful. The book is a great gift whether you are a nurse or not. It's a must have!
on March 3, 2016
I purchased this book as a gift to my clinical rotation instructor at the end of my final semester in nursing school. She absolutely loved this book and I was impressed with the quality of the pages and photos. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is or knows a nurse.
on January 11, 2015
This is a wonderful tribute to the nursing professional. Many times on television the nurse is not depicted as essential or smart. This book should be read by not only those interested in nursing or have experience as a patient; it should be read by medical professionals to get an idea of how much nurses are needed. Without nurses, physicians and healthcare facilities cannot provide quality health services. Thanks Ms. Jones.
on July 21, 2017
Such a great insight into the cross section of nurses across this country. Beautifully illustrated with fabulous photography.
I look forward to finishing all the different stories in this volume.
on February 20, 2013
Interesting interviews that truly demonstrate both the essence and diversity of the profession of nursing. Every nurse has a fascinating story about their career path and is articulate about the contributions of nursing to the health and welfare of our community. This book is recommended for individuals interested in exploring the profession, as a gift for nurses in your life and just to have. See comments at [...]

Purchases contribute to a nursing scholarship.
on January 28, 2017
I am a nurse manager and have this displayed on a table in my office. Every person who enters comments how great this book is. It displays so much compassion and caring...the essence of nursing.
on December 2, 2012
I bought this as a Christmas gift for a good friend. We are both nurses-I'm retired now, she is teaching. It's wonderful to see that although a nurses roles have changed and expanded over the years, the vocation and dedication remains the same. Although large (and heavy) this is no ordinary cocktail table book. I must admit I read it cover to cover before sending it off! A must read for every nurse!
on January 8, 2013
Every story and image in this wonderful book highlights the contributions professional nurses make every day. It renews the pride and is at the same time humbling to be in a profession that partners and cares for those entrusted to us. Thank-you for this heartfelt and deeply moving tribute to such an honorable group of healthcare professionals.