Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7 reviews
on April 5, 2000
Charles Erskine Scott Wood's "The Poet in theDesert"---"I have come to the lean and stricken land//Whichfears not God, that I may meet my soul..." Wow, now there's a place to start a survey of a century's poetry (or almost, since Volume 2 doesn't go all the way through to 1999 in poetic samplings.) Only this isn't a desert. It's a feast. : )
A new poet for me was Frances Desmond (excerpts from "Chippewa Music") and I wish there were more than 2 pages of her brief, subtle, lovely poems that made me think of Japanese haiku. A poet worth seeking out for lovely moments of reading like "it will resound finely//the sky//when I come making a noise".
Who is generously represented? Frost, WAllace Stevens, W.C. Williams, Pound, H.D, Marianne Moore, Millay. T.S.Eliot!-- 14 poems and 50+ pages for his works.
There were other new names for me (I guess I"m not as widely read poetically as I would like. As someone who appreciates spirituality in poetry, finding Anna H. Branch was a treat--"Ye stolid, homely, visible things//Above you all brood glorious wings" and "It took me ten days//To read the Bible through--//Then I saw what I saw,//And I knew what I knew."
The unfortunately named Adelaide Crapsey nevertheless has poems of sober beauty and lyrical melancholy---"Keep thou//Thy tearless watch//All night but when the blue dawn//Breathes on the silver moon, then weep!//Then weep!" Glad to meet her at last.
For those who enjoy odd little pleasures, there are forty pages of poetry by that singular personage: Gertrude Stein. "I have tried earnestly to express//Just what I guess will not distress//Nor even oppress or yet caress" --or how about?-- "What do you think of watches.//Collect lobsters//And sweetbreads//and a melon,//and salad,"
I'd rather collect poetry....to read while I eat that lobster and melon.
An enjoyable and varied collection for any American reader. It was rather more fun than Volume 2, but then, when you have Ezra and Gertrude and Wallace S. and VachelL. and T.S. and H.D., you are bound to have a ripping time.
*Mir* END