Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(2 star). See all 64 reviews
on October 14, 2011
I am a very big fan of Bill Hicks, and I think that the man was a visionary years ahead of his time. This documentary however seemed to shed less insight into his past than it did give the opinions of his friends. I know that having read the book, seen the Sane Man and other Bill Hicks DVD and that there probably isn't a heck of a lot more to learn so my expectations may have been too high. I'd say that this is worth renting but I'd stray awy from purchasing it unless you are a mega-fan buying it to fulfill a completionist urge.
on June 29, 2011
I concur with the guy from Portland, I had so looked forward to the American release of this film, what a disappointment. This brilliant artist deserved a more insightful reflection. This is a pompous piece of film making, where the makers were more interested in the 'tech tricks' then the subject.

So then I went to the 'extras', where I was excited to see if there was new show footage of Bill's shows I had not seen. There was, in frustrating tiny snippets--- it was a cruel tease.

The idea of Bill having any female relationships was completely ignored. Interesting editorial choice, as women were a central theme to his life.

The interviews with the other Houston comics, and especially with Kevin Booth-- Bill's musical/artistic collaborator, were in fact interesting. And then I got to the 'bonus' where Steve Booth was in Abbey Roads studio remixing Bill's music, I wanted to throw up. How arrogant, he never worked on music with Bill, I really got the feeling this family was cashing in on Bill's wonderful legacy. How pathetic.

IF YOU ARE REALLY interested in finding out more about Bill, I highly recommend the dvd "Bill Hicks Live". It includes 3 great performances, and the documentary "Just a Ride". I also highly recommend Kevin Booth's biography "Bill Hicks, Agent of Evolution", it is a very interesting read and provides real insight into this complex artist.
on January 21, 2016
American: The Bill Hicks Story is a boring documentary about a very interesting man. To put it lightly, this documentary was not what I was expecting. I thought this movie would contain footage and interviews with Bill Hicks, but it's more or less narrated by his friends and family. A majority of this film is animated with still photos and contains very little of Bill's actual stand up routines.

They didn't show his memorable freak outs against hecklers and didn't even showcase some of his best jokes in the film. I thought that this documentary would contain interviews and footage and show more of what a brilliant comedian Bill was. Instead, it's just a narrated, animated story that drags on for too long on useless details.It wasn't interesting, the pacing was awfully slow, and there really wasn't much of a story to tell.

What this documentary needed to include was more footage of Bill Hicks in general, not this campy, animated garbage that we were presented with. I was hoping this video would make my girlfriend more interested in this comedian, instead it put her to sleep while I watched and wondered why I wasted my money on this.

If you want more Bill Hicks, watch his stand up routines. There's no story to tell here except that he died tragically young and was under appreciated by his own country.
on September 12, 2011
I always loved and remembered Bill's infrequent TV appearances. He had that anti-establishment Carlin vibe, but this film spends too much time on the negative and destructive elements of his life. The abbreviated comedy bits included in this film are a poor representation of his humor especially when the film touts him as a legend. Bill was a true talent, this film just doesn't do him justice. Not including his edited Letterman appearance in its entirety was a major omission on the filmmaker's part. Very Disappointing!!!
on April 26, 2014
Decently produced documentary. The problem is that Bill Hicks was never very funny. The result is an awkward celebration of a dead guy who was mediocre at his craft.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse