Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 62 reviews
on March 3, 2010
I purchased American Vegan Kitchen after seeing lots of buzz about it on a vegan foodie forum. In the week or so that I've had it, I've made a few of the recipes and everything has been outstanding! You want a vegan cheesesteak that everyone (meat eaters included) will love? It's here, along with a killer beer battered onion ring recipe. Craving donuts? Check out the "Darngood Donut Bites!" My family also tried the spaghetti pie, and all of us could not stop eating it (including my 2 and 4 year olds.)
The book has a nice mix of really decadent comfort food recipes as well as many lighter selections, i.e. soups, salads, etc., and some really interesting additions like "Deli Rubenettes," baked jalapeno poppers with lime cream and "quickels" (quick pickles.) There is also a basics section that has lots of good information on essential ingredients and cooking tips.
Without a doubt, American Vegan Kitchen is a great addition for both new and experienced vegan cooks, as well as for those who are interested in experimenting with vegan cooking. Highly recommended!
on September 18, 2010
I'm a fairly new to eating vegan 100% of the time. This cookbook is a big help to me in meal planning and trying new foods. The All-American Incrediburger is great. My picky son asked me to fix the NY Cheesecake, and he does not like anything vegan (when he knows he is eating it). The recipes are easy to follow, the directions are clear, and Ms. Noyes uses ingredients that are common in any vegan cook's kitchen. I highly recommend this cookbook to anyone who wants recipes for good, old American foods that are healthier.
review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon February 27, 2010
The last couple of years have seen a plethora of new vegan cookbooks - many of them quite good. Tami Noyes' book is among the excellent few that stand above the rest. Being familiar with her blog for some years, I knew her book would be noteworthy, but she has truly excelled. We have made a number of recipes, and fed them to family and friends to great praise. The No-Tuna Melt Panini, Incrediburger, and Sloppy Joe are going into permanent rotation in our house. This is fantastic, flavorful comfort food which will appeal to a broad audience, vegan or not. Bravo!
on January 22, 2012
I've had this book for over a year now and have made recipes from every section of the book. I mark up my cookbooks to remind myself what worked and what didn't. In looking back at AVK, every comment I made was positive. I have four kids and they've loved just about everything I've made from here. I think the sandwich section alone is worth the price of the book.

The Chickanini Sandwich and No-Tuna Melt Panini are wonderful. My very picky seven-year-old says the Incrediburgers are her favorite veggie burger in the world! Oh and the Deep-Dish Pizza is so great. The sauce for it makes a great bruschetta topping too! I made the Cheesecake for Christmas and it was one of the best cheesecakes I've had...vegan or not!

Sometimes the recipes are multi-stepped (make seitan before you can make the sandwich), but anyone who does much vegan cooking should be used to that by now. BTW the seitan and sausage recipes are easy and great to have on hand!
on July 15, 2013
Noyes' American Vegan Kitchen is based off of comfort foods you'd find in any diner- except they're all vegan. Muffins, French Toast, Waffles/Pancakes, Stroganoff, Eggplant Parmesan, Onion Rings, Pie... Basically any comfort food you could think of is in this cookbook. Now with that said, Noyes is quite generous with deep frying and sugar in this cookbook so if you're looking for a cookbook which avoids these things, look elsewhere. However, she does an excellent job of mostly staying away from processed meats and cheeses and sticking with whole foods.

My favorite recipes from this cookbook include:
-Cinnacrunch Muffins (!!!)
-Sweet and Crunch French Toast
-Summer Waffles with Lemon Sauce
-Seitan on a Shingle
-Eggplant Parm
-Veggie Fried Rice

I really love this cookbook and if you don't already have an assortment of vegan comfort food, get this. Heck even if you do get this as Noyes tends to put a refreshing, creative spin on old classics. There's still a lot of recipes I want to try from this cookbook and I plan on trying them all eventually!
on July 19, 2011
The pictures on the cover of the book don't do this book justice. This is a true vegan comfort food cookbook at its finest! The recipes included are truly amazing and full of flavor! Where to start? The "Darngood Donut Bites" were so darngood that my daughter has made them numerous times over! The "Mediterranean Scramble" and "Tofu Rancheros" were just a couple of my favorites from the "Rise and Shine" section of the book. From there, my tastebuds took me to the "Soup of the Day" section, and I throughly enjoyed the "Pasta and Bean Soup". Oh don't let the bland name fool you! This soup was so full of flavor that my family finished the entire pot and left NO leftovers! The "All-American Incrediburger" was just that, incredible! The author really knows how to bring all of our favorites from diners and make them vegan without lacking flavor. Finish up your meal with a big hunk of "Pineapple Upside-Down Cake" and you will think you are in vegan food heaven! Hooray for this book and this author for bringing us these wonderful recipes!
on September 16, 2010
The recipes in this book sound amazing. I've only made one so far, the Tuna-Free Noodle Casserole, and it was DELICIOUS! Actually, I've made two-ish. The picture of the Seitan Katsu looked so mouth-watering that the next time I was at a Japanese restaurant, I asked for a taste of their Katsu sauce since I'd never had it and sauces frequently make or break a recipe. Well, I hated the Katsu sauce at the Japanese restaurant. Couldn't understand why anyone would order Chicken Katsu after tasting it. Still, on the strength of the Tuna-Free Noodle Casserole and just out of curiosity, I made the Katsu sauce in AMV. I *loved* it! It has such a delicious flavor. That will definitely be the next dish I make. (BTW, be sure to go look at the photo I've posted of my Tuna-Free Noodle Casserole.)
review image review image
on May 17, 2010
...I can still enjoy delicious meatless dishes from this book. Everybody needs to shake it up and take a break from meat, and this book has great recipes that make it an easy option in our house... like deli ruebenettes, potato skins (killer!), great portobello sandwiches and the tasty cheezecake recipe. The roasted garlic pretzels are really good with a beer. I look forward to trying more dishes and see lots of good options for cookouts like mustard mac slaw and deli potato salad. Looks like they will go great with Incrediburgers! Yum!
on December 9, 2010
Diner delicious just begins to describe the yumminess that awaits you inside this amazing compilation of American classics. If you have followed Tami's blog (Vegan Appetite) then you already know that this gal can cook up a vegan storm. And with 232 pages full of recipes for omelettes, tacos, burgers, stroganoffs, onion rings, and, of course, down home desserts like peach cobbler, apple crisp, cherry turnovers, and NEW YORK CHEESECAKE (!!!) you will be lickin' your fingers after every bite! Oh, and that Banana Split Cake (on page 190) is like...WHOA!
on December 13, 2011
I really like this cookbook, and use it regularly. It has recipes for comfort foods that I might have thought would be hard to make vegan, like ribz and wingz, "cheesecake," pizza, omelettes, vegan sausage links, reuben sandwiches, egg rols, and more. Plus, there are some really fun ideas for things I've never seen elsewhere - cashew cheeze stuffed squash blossoms, peanut-tofu kale pockets, lime-avocado cream in puff pastry. We've given away copies of this to friends because they've asked us for the recipes.