Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 17, 2011
My requirements were simple:

Good points
1.) Good Quality - This product is made from durable poly plastic. Not flimsy at all.
2.) Wall mountable - This product is wall mountable
3.) Hold at least 40M (131 ft) of 12mm Garden hose - This holds 45M (150 ft) of 16mm with room to spare
4.) Spare parts available - Yep this has that too with 2 year warranty
5.) Easy to wind - This is very easy to wind thanks to the large crank handle

Bad points
1.) The US and Australia standards for fittings and hose sizes are different, this made life interesting for the inlet hose but a quick trip to the local hardware store and about $2.75 later and that problem was solved.

Looking at hose reels in Australia I struggled to find a good quality hose reel that would meet all my requirements, looking outside Australia and Ames filled the spot.

Australia is really in love with Chinese made products just because they are cheap. If you look at the common consumer brands such as Hozelink, Neta, and Pope, I found that nobody makes a good quality product that is of solid construction, they all have skinny aluminium tube construction with flimsy plastic sides.

The Ames cost me less than one of the local products and it's better, that for me was a no brainer.

I now have my Ames hose reel mounted and it is by far the best product that I have ever bought for that purpose.

Would I buy another one, damn right I would.
[...]
on November 24, 2012
The manufacturer uses a black plastic pipe to connect the bit of hose that connects to the water source to pipe water into the main hose. Unfortunately, the black pipe is so narrow that it creates a lot of back pressure. This back pressure forces a good amount of water out of the smaller hose despite o-rings (spraying irritatingly all over the place) instead of out of the main hose. Yes, water does come out of the main hose, but when almost half of the water comes spraying out of the wrong place....it makes this hose reel useless.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on August 17, 2012
I own 2 ames hose reels that on going on 8 years old. They are now discontinued and I needed another reel for a new faucet I installed. I ordered this hose reel expecting it to be the same quality as my other Ames hose reels. Well boy was I wrong. As soon as I opened the box I felt how flimsy and poorly built the item was. When i mounted it on the wall, the whole reel flexed back and forth as I rolled the hose up. The plastic was smoother and felt much cheaper- almost like the plastic used to make plastic storage bins. What a shame, oh well. I'm sending this hunk of plastic back to amazon.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on July 31, 2012
This hose reel does its job and can be used wall mounted or freestanding which is a nice option. When you first put the hose on the reel it's a good idea to lay out the full length of the hose to remove any twists or kinks. Then just roll it up and you're done. My heavy duty 100 foot hose fit with room to spare. 2 year warranty is a plus if parts are needed. I've found that Ames products are better than the others I've tried.
on March 24, 2012
So happy to get this hose reel. Even better that it came already assembled, although I have to say that I was disappointed in the packaging (which came half open with the box dented in a couple of corners. It's a good size--larger than I thought for my 1-car garage, but still It's lightweight and really easy to roll. Looks durable so hopefully it's as durable as it looks.
on July 27, 2011
I purchased this hose reel to replace a competitor's lower quality model. I had another Ames EasyReel elsewhere on the property and it has held up well. This hose reel is sturdy and durable, came with all promised parts and was easy to install. Ames stands behind thier products, includes a complete parts list, and offers phone or email warrenty service. A good reel for the money.
on March 15, 2013
Product poorly made, hose attachment cheap plastic resulting in leakage. Quite costly for this poor quality. Better off just winding it and leaving it on its own.
3 helpful votes
on August 22, 2013
I always bought the hose reel that was enclosed in the box.
This is so much better! Easy to move out of the way to sweep
and clean. The box was always hard to navigate, but not this
one. So easy to wind up the hose when done also.
on June 19, 2013
It broke in the first week at the bottom. Not very sturdy. I was disappointed. Does not stay grounded unless your feet are on base, and the base breaks! I would not recommend.
on October 11, 2012
I was looking for a very simple hose caddy that did the job. I was happy to discover the Ames True Temper Hose Caddy. It is perfect for a small space and I'm very happy that at the end of the season, I can carry the hose and caddy into my garage all neatly in one piece!
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.