Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 78 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 330 reviews
on March 29, 2009
I'm going to use the first few lines from my review of the original. In 1974, Ronald DeFeo brutally massacred his entire family via shotgun blasts while they were sleeping in their beds. One year later, the Lutz family moves into the same house. With 3 kids, it was too sweet a deal to pass up and was exactly what George and Kathy were looking for. And then just after a few days of moving in, strange things begin to occur. Most notably with George and also with their only daughter Amy. While George is beginning to go insane, Amy has made a new ghostly friend.

I think the remake did an ok job in the story, but way overboard with the typical scares. While the original had a sort of drawn out story, it had the subtle scares. The remake though has a bit of better story at first, but uses the typical Hollywood scares that most of us are used to by now. The best thing I liked about the movie was them showing George Lutz (Ryan Reynolds) going crazy. It was more in depth and Ryan played the part really well. It was actually funny in a dark way listening to Ryan talk crap to the family sometimes, because to him it seemed like he was ok, while they were the ones being idiots or badly behaving. I really think Ryan gets a lot less credit than he deserves as an actor. Sure he gets put into comedy roles such as Van Wilder and Waiting, but I think he can act. When he told one of the boys to hold the wood while he chopped and then grabbed his face and got all evil looking, I looked at my buddy and said "Dude, that would be really scary to see as a 12 year old if not now". I also like how the story leaves out a lot of the priest parts that I didn't like from the original. I also thought the children's scenes were a lot better than the original and made me feel for them a bit more.

What I didn't like though was the typical jump scares that felt unnecessary, but somehow I understand why they are there. If they weren't there, I could see people getting bored with the movie. Not everyone, but a lot. There were a few good ones though like when we see Jody sitting with Amy during one scene and the mom doesn't see her. But man they used way too much of her to try and scare us. Sure, little dead kids are scary, but come on. I liked how it was left to our imagination (sort of) in the original if she was there or not. The remake gives us no doubt. At least they didn't use some bad effects as her eyes outside a window this time...heh. And the ending was horrible... the way they wrapped it up was just bad. I almost thought I was watching 13 Ghosts in the end while George Lutz was walking past cages. Then he sees the main killer ghost... ridiculous.

In the end, I'd give it a rent. I liked it just enough to buy it, mainly because of the character development of George Lutz and also some of the scenes. It can be a good movie for some though, and probably a fun date movie if you like horror.

P.S. - They ruined the `Get Out' scene (my favorite scene) in this one in my opinion. It was so fake compared to the original.
55 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2014
I'm not a fan of modern horror. It seems like most stories today overuse CGI or just want to sicken the audience with as much gross out shock gore as the studio can stuff into the film. This is not the case with Amityville Horror. I wasn't sickened to my stomach, but I did gave genuine chills while watching. It was good and creepy as a horror movie should be without the extreme misuse and abuse of CGI. Felt the actors were believable enough too.

I would definitely list this under one of the better remakes of classic movies, and would recommend to a friend.
on January 4, 2014
as others have said, this is not just a re-make of the first movie, but a stand-alone version of the story by itself, and should be viewed from that aspect. josh brolin and rod steiger did very creditable jobs in the first movie as George lutz and the priest. all in all, I like the character portrayals by all the actors in this, the 2005 version. heavier into the special effects than the first movie, but that's technology for you. I especially liked the two little girls in this, the dark haired ghost girl (great makeup) and the blonde chelsea lutz girl, playing off each other as opposites (dark and light, death and life). great "making of..." segment and actor interviews. hit girl scores again.
on March 19, 2017
Perfect!!!
on March 1, 2017
Great
on May 24, 2017
Good
on August 6, 2014
Well being a fan of this type of movie I thought it was pretty good. The building of suspense was good and kept me entertained throughout the movie. For a remake I was impressed by it. I thought the acting was good by all the actors in the movie. Now if you go into this movie with the original firmly in your mind you may not enjoy it all, take it for what it is a movie and you might enjoy it. I would recommend this to a friend.
on August 30, 2016
hi amazon. for some reason THE AMITTYVILLE HORROR movie i receved today dosent work for my blu ray players . it says its source A but my players are source B. i don't know how to change it . any advice
on November 9, 2015
Great horror movie based on true events. It's that good that I've watched this multiple times. Definitley a good buy. Kept my full attention and gave me just what's expected of a scary movie.
on April 12, 2015
RARE 2005 VHS! This is collectible, and very great. However this is a scary movie, I don't recommend this movie to non-brave people. However, if you are brave enough, then go for it!