Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 21-24 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on September 21, 2014
I was just diagnosed with DID. I have had a difficult time reading this book. I find some of the way things are referred to as infantile. "Singletons" I have an especially difficult problem with. I have tried to read this several times only to find my angry personality comes out and cuts us or tries to harm us in other ways. My therapist who suggested this book has now suggested that I put it away since Michael does not like it and wants to hurt us when we read it. The only comfort I have found in this book is that I know I am not alone and that when I wake up and am not sure where I am I am not the only one who does that. I just find the way we are referred to as "the little ones" as demeaning. We re all different and deserve to be treated as different people.
on January 26, 2016
Wonderful starting book for those with DID/OSDD-1. Those who are already fairly far in therapy may not find much use of this book, but if you are newly diagnosed or struggling with your disorder, I would recommend this book. Everything is laid out for you in a matter-of-fact and reassuring way.
on September 14, 2004
I bought this book with two others. When I got it, I didn't think I was going to like it very much. However, I really enjoyed this book and refer to it often. I much prefer this book to "Stranger in the Mirror". This book explains beautifully the challanges of DID, what it is, and how to cope in a very simple and underestand manner. This book is very clear and full of short personal experiences. I felt that the authors both really understand the DID experience. The one draw back which I think is very crucial to our recovery is the authors own views regarding therapy and therapists which I believe should remain their opinions and not be stated in the book. If I did not have an outstanding therapist, I would be very insecure about getting one after their remarks. The other down side of this book is that I felt that not enough attention is stated regarding integration. I felt as if the author was resigned to keeping the alters as part of her family. That was very disturbing. All in all, I really liked the book because of the information that was presented was clear and simple to follow. I will use this book constantly as a vital reference and just leave what doesn't work for me. I would recommend this book highly.
on September 10, 2015
One of the authors has DID herself and it explains what it's like to live with the condition. While it's meant to be a self-help guide, sort of an owner's manual, it's also something I recommend to people that aren't real familiar with the condition that want to learn more about what it's like to live with DID. I once recommended it to a new therapist, when my insurance no longer covered the therapist I'd been seeing and the new one had little experience with DID, and she said she learned a lot and felt she understood me a lot better after reading it.