Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 15, 2011
This perfectly portable USB Micro cord is 31 inches from end to end when fully extended. (So plan on 28")
It is fairly well designed. There is just enough tension so that it 'sticks' (like a tape measure when you lock it) automatically.
Compared to the Belkin retractable cords that I own, the Amzer cord does appear a little bit loose. Time will tell (and I will update this review), if this tell-tale sign proves ominous or benign (hence the 4 stars).

Note: the "Micro" USB differs from the Mini USB. Make sure you are getting what you want. The Micro is smaller and tends to fit BlueTooth ear-sets and other small devices; the Mini is usually for portable hard drives.

This is the first Amzer product I have purchased. I would have bought a Belkin, but I could not find a Micro USB from them.
on November 11, 2014
These are AWESOME! I've been using them for a couple of years now. I got one for the office, one for my car and one for home. All three continue to function flawlessly. Just be sure you hold an end in each hand and pull out gently to release and let both sides retract equally and simultaneously, and you will be rewarded with a great, very compact and convenient charge cord/data cable. I absolutely love mine and can't imagine going back to the bulky, tangley things I used to use. These are a huge improvement and travel very well in a pocket or handbag.
7/2/16: I purchased 3 of these. One was lost, one is now a little tired after several years (3 1/2 ?) of extensive daily use (doesn't retract completely, but remains quite functional); the third is still functioning perfectly. If they ever die and are available at that time, I will definitely purchase again. They are terrific and I don't want to be without them. Though, I notice they have tripled in price. Ouch!
on June 27, 2012
I purchased this item April 3rd, 2012. It's June 28th 2012. I realize this is an inexpensive product. I have purchased them before and they all end up with the same problem. This one a little quicker than others. As of this morning the retracting mechanism no longer works. I am not abusive to my electronics. I baby them and realize after several of these retractable cables that they need to be treated carefully because they are of such poor workmanship.

I have to say even after respecting the product and not abusing it, carefully retracting and ensuring no twists, turns or jarring when using it is the same cheap product. I'd rather pay 15.00 for one that lasted a year or more (since I've been using phones with micro-usb for 3 years now) and I take my charger in my car, work and home. I use a normal stock charger at home but at work and in the car I use this one. I'm really disappointed. I haven't looked yet but I'm betting there's no warranty on this product and it's yet another waste of my money.
on March 17, 2012
Recently started a new job and was issued the requisite Blackberry. Unlike past BB's that I've received, this one only had one data/charging cable included. I wanted a second cable so that I could have one at home and another at work. In looking at options, came across this retractable version which was appealing because it wouldn't take up a lot of space when I wasn't using it.

Received the cable yesterday and used it this morning to charge my Blackberry Torch 9810 with no issues. It also charged my Kindle Touch without any problems.

Beyond being very compact when you're not using it, the other nice thing is that you can pull out just as much cable as you need while you're charging it so you don't have a lot of extra cable on your desk while it's connected to your computer (or on your counter if you have it plugged into a wall charger). I'm planning to order at least one more to keep in my purse and/or briefcase. Will have to see how it holds up over time, but initial impressions are very good.
Amzer Micro USB Retractable Data Cable - Black
on January 22, 2010
I got this to use primarily with my Motorola Droid phone which uses the Micro USB port. The cable is so small I leave it in my coat pocket and have it with me at all times. The extend and retract action is smooth, charging and data transfers work. Nice price, product works, can't ask for much more.
on January 24, 2013
Bought two of these, both work perfectly.

First, I love how quickly and easily this things locks at a particular length. I very seldom have any issues getting it to "stick" to a particular setting that doesn't require me to pull the whole length of cable out. Very handy in the car.

Second, this ended up being a nice frustration saver. Even with proper wrapping, USB cables can get intertwined in backpacks and hooked on random junk. Now, I just reach in my cables pocket and grab the smooth plastic hunk, which slides out with ease.

Third, I realized after using this how much time I wasted wrapping/unwrapping cables. Now, I just "zip" and it's neatly wrapped for me. AWESOME.
on October 15, 2013
I got this to charge my phone from my laptop during my daily commute. For the first few days it was fine, but after that I started to notice that, when plugged in, it wasn't always connecting my phone to the laptop and therefore it wasn't charging. Upon touching the connector I would find it would connect and start to charge again, but the need to do this became worse over time. A few weeks later and I have to almost constantly apply a little pressure to the connector on one side in order for it to charge. That makes it nearly usess. (Usless would be one star... but I do technically still get some use out of it in a pinch.) I plan to replace this with another device and hope it works out better.
on March 5, 2012
I'm partially disabled so my computer sets on top of my desk where I can reach it. My last build was a small form factor machine that would gobble less space. I have every USB port possible on the front of the box. The wife and I have all sorts of phones, cameras, PDAs and MP3 players, all things we didn't even suspect for the first two thirds of our lives but now find indispensable. Charging, loading and unloading them has always been something of a pain because I always had at least one USB cable draped across my desk. I thought the retractable cable would use less space and it does. It has a "seat belt / window blind" type of mechanism that is very easy to use. Both ends of the cable will extend and retract. After you plug one end into the computer you can pull it out to just a little farther than needed, then let it retract slowly until the mechanism catches. It will then stay at just the proper length to hook to your device. When you are finished, just pull it out a tad and let it retract rapidly. It winds itself up nice and tight. My intention was to just unplug it and store it in my pencil drawer but since the unit isn't all that bad looking and since the face of my computer is already bristling with a dozen different types of USB sticks and SD cards, I may just leave it in the slot.....and get a couple more.
on June 23, 2014
Two or three products that look virtually the same were priced here at Amazon well below half the cost of this model. I was thinking - if the vendor charges more than twice the lower price in a competitive market then then it must actually be sturdier in its build, so I decided to spring for the 9 dollar model. Seemed fine for about a week of daily use (only once extended & once retracted per day) before the spring mechanism malfunctioned. Try as I might to re-set it, it would not retract anymore.
So if you're looking for one of these very convenient and portable ways to transfer data, you might as well get a handful of the less expensive models and feel less like you've been fleeced if one breaks.
on May 31, 2013
Retraction works flawlessly, seems of good quality. Quality of the cable is good. I have had others but I think this is better.

Will update if it fails.

--- Update June 3, 2013 (3 days after receiving the product)

Retraction system failed. I can extend the cable fully but it does not keep extended in the longer position. It does maintain the extension in the middle positions.
Will be shipping back to amazon and a replacement has already been sent.
Flawless return system is making me keep the 5-star rating. Together with the hopes that this is just a defective unit.

--- Update June 8, 2013 (8 days after first purchase)

New cable arrived. Works flawlessly.
Amazon replacement arrived one day after I placed the order. No problems at all.