Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

An Abundance of Katherines
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 6, 2017
This book is very interesting and fun to read. There was lots of humor, and also lots of math. I found the book to be very relatable to almost every teenager who will read it. I loved the book, it made me think about what my life will amount to. A short summary of the book: Colin Singleton wants to matter, like almost everyone else in the world. He wants to be remembered as a genius, but he can't seem to put together a theory of the only problem in his life. He has been in a relationship with 19 girls named Katherine, but why have they all dumped him? Read and find out his mathematical thinking.
on August 2, 2014
When I had first ordered the book I expected it to be great! I ended up putting off reading it until about 2 months after I had ordered it so then I decided that I should give it a try. I started the book and got confused very fast. The equations and all the anagrams and charts and graphs just screwed up head and I could never understand what was going on! The overall book was amazing definitely one of my favorite John Green books. I just wished he could've made the anagrams and charts and graphs and equations easier to understand! I would totally recommend this book to a friend and here is a word of advice: even if the book doesn't seem as great as you thought it would be keep reading and you will be pleasantly surprise. :)
VINE VOICEon March 2, 2012
The hero of this refreshing coming of age story is Colin, a nerdy kid with a sky-high IQ who has dated 19 girls called Katherine and been dumped by all of them. Actually, it's really 18 -- because Katherine number one, who was his girlfriend for two minutes when they were eight, turns out also to be Katherine number 19.

With his friend Hassan, an amiable fat kid who is nominally Muslim, Colin sets out on a road trip from Chicago to recover from his wounds. Somewhere in Tennessee, they see a sign inviting them to visit the grave of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, whose assassination in Sarajevo set off World War One.

The tour guide for the alleged tomb is an appealing girl their own age called Lindsey Lee and the meeting sets off a new set of adventures. The two are invited by Lindsey's mother, Hollis, to stay the summer and help compile an oral history of the town of Gutshot, TN, and especially the cotton factory Hollis runs which has been reduced to producing tampon strings.

Colin, who loves making anagrams, reads voraciously and has "a piece missing" when it comes to relationships, seems to be somewhere on the Autism spectrum -- although the author never uses that word. He is obsessed by constructing a mathematical formula that will explain how relationships unfold and who will dump whom (a mathematician friend of the author provides a helpful essay at the end of the book to explain how the formula works).

Colin and Lindsey have an obvious attraction but Lindsey already has a boyfriend, a muscle-bound jock also called Colin. How will all this resolve?

I must say I liked this book. It was witty and also got into some of the heartbreaks of growing up and trying to figure out an identity. My one problem is that I did not believe fully in the protagonist. I did not believe that a kid as geeky as this one, with the kind of difficulties he has interacting with people, would have had 19 different girlfriends -- it just would not have happened. And for someone as socially awkward as he is supposed to be, he was quite assured with Lindsey when the time came.

But part of reading fiction is suspending disbelief, and I was able to do this well enough to enjoy the book.
on June 23, 2015
I love how John Green focuses his narratives on quirky smart kids who sometimes have a hard time staying out of their own ways. As I said in my paper towns review I could see a bit of myself in everybody within. I'm more hard pressed to find a connection between me and Colin, but I remember how high school me was a bit obsessed with the how and why of failing relationships. Like Colin, it got in my way time and time again. And reading about characters who worry so much about whether others think they are important and refuse to let their true selves shine certainly should give any reader pause whatever their age and see Lindsey and Colin's issues as their own and remember to live the way that they see fit..
on April 9, 2015
An abundance of Katherine's is a book that has to deal with a prodigy named Colin that believes that love can be based on a equation, after Colin and Katherine number 19 brake up Colin and his friend Hassan go on a trip that proves that love CAN be base on a equation during that trip Colin's explain to you why he only dated Katherine's like the book say's "not Katies or kats or kitties or cathys or ryanns or trinas or kays or Kates or, God forbid, Catherines" but that all changes once he meet Lindsey that's when the turning point happens he realize that love isn't based on a equation, and it kind of gives you the feeling that you can fall in love anywhere, you can't force love, just let it happen. It was a great book. I enjoyed it
on November 29, 2015
(2.5 stars)Colin has always dated Katherines and has always been dumped by them. He is a former child prodigy and is now transitioning to adulthood. He decides to take a road trip with his friend and they end up in a small town in Tennessee. There he begins working on a theorum of relationships, figuring out the factors that determine what happens in a relationship. In their time in town, he makes new friends and figures out more about himself and life and realizes that life may hold more for him that he initially anticipated. The book includes his passion for anagrams, footnotes and mathematical modeling.
on January 31, 2016
John Green puts his fine mind on display so engaging just to follow his word choice and thoughts. As a high school teacher not sure my students really think like his characters in such wry intelligent voices but fun to read. He adds humor, he add all the politically correct skin colors and voices.
He also seems to like car adventures and a hero who is somewhat OCD. His feminine characters are edgy beyond conventional girls but ok. I think he is a major talent and my students love The Fault in our Stars, great Shakespeare allusion. Read on with John!
on December 25, 2014
Sometimes i think some of greens books drag on a little too ling but I still read because I'm a bit intrigued but this one had a great flow and ended perfectly. And at first I thought it was gonna be really dumb if I'm being honest (I mean I've dated like two people only an I'm the same age as Colin and I've only ever met on person named katherine, so the whole premise of the book that this person had not only found, befriended, and dated NINETEEN katherines at first just seems too implausible a plotline for me to consider that the book had real meaning) and while I still think that it's implausible, I'm glad that I didn't disregard the book, and took a chance, because it ended up being entertaining and interesting
on January 7, 2015
Colin just got dumped after graduation by his girlfriend. She was his eighteenth girlfriend named Katherine. All spelled the same. Highly unlikely, right? Colin is also a prodigy, not a genius, and all he wants is to matter but he feels like his talent is fizzling out.

In order to figure out where his relationship with Katherine XVIII went wrong and to get some life experience, Colin and his friend, Hassan, head out on a road trip. They end up in a small town in Tennessee named Gutshot.

Colin comes up with a theorem to measure Dumper/dumpee relationships and predictability all while getting to know a pretty non-Katherine.

This book was so much fun to read and incredibly funny. I really enjoyed it.
on January 12, 2018
Great book! Attracts you from the minute you start ready. Downloaded from kindle, received it quickly