Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 838 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,206 reviews
on July 31, 2016
Let me start this review by saying I'm a pretty big John Green fan. I started with Paper Towns, which I got as a gift, reading it in one sitting. I liked it so much that I went out and bought Looking for Alaska and read that in an all-nighter session, too. I loved Alaska. It covers the meaning of life while introducing three unforgettable characters: Pudge, The Colonel, and Alaska. And no, I didn't have to Google the names.
Everyone always talks about A Fault in our Stars, but I was more curious about Green's sophomore effort, An Abundance of Katherines. Unlike Paper Towns and Alaska, I didn't read this in one sitting. It took several sessions for me to get through this.
At first, I liked it well enough. We've got Colin, a depressed wannabe protege who has just been dumped for the umpteenth time by a Katherine, who is being pushed to get out and live by his lazy, underachieving friend, the comic relief character, Hassan. Hassan doesn't have a job and he has taken a year off before going to college. The two decide to take a road trip. Of course?
I'm not going to go through the plot, but let's just say it's very forgettable in comparison to Alaska. Will Colin learn that there is more to life than getting dumped by girls with the same name and find a cool new girl (perhaps with a different name)? Will Hassan learn the meaning of hard work?
Throughout the book we get a bunch of flashbacks to Colin's past relationships, but I can't say I was enthralled by these sections. They feel a bit pointless, and while some flashbacks are funny (like Colin getting dumped immediately by Katherine 1), most scenes just tend to drag because I found myself not caring.
Let me explain, the reason I loved Alaska and Paper Towns was because the characters were so lovable, but here, meh, I just didn't connect. Sure, Hassan is funny, but he feels one-dimensional. His shtick wore thin relatively quickly. Colin, well, I just found him to be a whiny s***, to be honest. He's a loser, like Pudge, but without the charm and mannerisms that made me connect with that character.
I think the main problem is that John Green wrote this in third-person, as opposed to first-person. The writing feels more distant. I just didn't buy what I was reading. Whereas, even the scenes in Alaska that felt made-up at least had a lovable humor or character developing aspect to them. Here, everything kind of feels forced.
That's not to say I hated this book or anything, but in comparison to Green's other work, it feels clunky. And the ending, while nice, doesn't have the same moral impact or twist as his other works had. Overall, I'd skip this unless you're a Green Completist.
on January 26, 2016
Really enjoyed this! John Green is one of those authors I recommend to anyone because his books are just always well done. This was my third John Green book, I read TFiOS and Paper Towns first, and I was not disappointed! The plot is simple because this is definitely character driven, but that being said all the characters were fleshed out beautifully and the friendships and romances were all relatable and believable. Colin was funny and it was great reading from his POV. Definitely recommend to all!
on March 2, 2017
The book "An Abundance of Katherines" by John Green is a story that follows Colin, a young man who just recently graduated high school, through his road trip journey with his best friend Hassian. I have been wanting to read this book ever since I read "The Fault in our Stars" by John Green. When I read the book in7th grade, I praised the story and John Green himself. Since I remembered how much I enjoyed "The Fault in our Stars", I decided to read "An Abundance of Katherines". I expected to be blown away by the story, but instead I was surprised at how predictable and uninteresting the writing actually is. As I look back to when I read "The Fault in our Stars", I remember that it is also predictable and corny, which must have appealed to my younger self. I would recommend that those with a below an eighth-grade reading level read this book. I say this because the book is not challenging or intriguing, and it seems as if younger kids would enjoy the book rather than a high school student. An idea the author deals with frequently is the characterization of Colin, and how he is a prodigy and a genius. This fact made the reading more interesting since Colin is awkward and a know-it-all. The format of the book was interesting because of the graphs, math formulas, and scholarly facts Colin would whip up at any given time. This still did not make up for the dull plot of the story itself. Overall, I am glad I did end up reading the book so that I recognized that the stories I have read by John Green are predicable and unexciting. This story in particular, in comparison to John Green's other work, is not captivating. I think that one of the big problems with the story was the fact that it was written in third-person. This made the story less personal and relatable to the reader, and made me unable to really connect with Colin.
on March 1, 2017
Love every story John Green
on April 7, 2017
A little boring sometimes.
on April 25, 2017
Beautiful condition
on June 9, 2016
dislike it was so boring after I predicted he was going to be with Lindsey it all went left with the math stuff.he was dumped time after time and really didn't sit back and say maybe i am the problem it became so boring worst John Green.i am shocked at the good reviews because i am an avid reader.i understand he was trying something different with a smart character but Colin,Lindsey and Hassan were cheesy and annoying.
on December 16, 2014
John green knows how to write.
on September 11, 2014
A strange plot, not very likable characters, and many, long, boring passages. Maybe this was supposed to be a complete fable, or a metaphor for something deep. Well, if it was, I completely missed it. Colin is a child prodigy who has been dumped by 19 girlfriends, all named Katherine. Now I knew that coming into the book and shame on me for not casting it aside right then and there but I'm a sucker for road trip stories and this one started out that way.....but not for long. Colin and buddy Hassan wind up in Gutshot, Tennessee, where Colin meets a charming young miss and her rube boyfriend, also Colin. No, the girl's name is not Katherine. Then not much happens for 150 pages or so. Thankfully, this is a very slim book and after another 50 pages give or take, it ends with not much of a climax. Not cute, not charming, not interesting.
on October 8, 2015
I think I made the mistake of becoming a John Green fan by reading The Fault in Our Stars first. After that, I knew I would read anything that came from his mind, including tweets that are limited to 140 characters. He's brilliant, no question.

An Abundnce of Katherines was one of his earlier books, and after reading his most recent first, it shows. He's grown a lot as a writer. The book reads well, it does pull you in as you hope any book you begin will, but it's also predictable. The predictably is clever, and all things John Green, but I felt like I've read the idea of this story before, only by different authors and maybe not as intelligently written.

Some of that may have to do with the mathematical thereoms that are thrown into the story. Although it made it interesting, it was distracting as I've never been much of a math person.

It was easy to see that in true John Green fashion, he went to great extents in writing this book. He did his homework and enlisted those who had knowledge of things he didn't.

If you're a John Green fan, and if you are reading this I'm sure you are, I would suggest it, but I wouldn't expect it to leave you the way The Fault in Our Stars, Looking For Alaska or Paper Towns did.