Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

An Abundance of Katherines
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 2, 2014
What carried most of this book was Colin's personality, and just listening to him. Otherwise, not much else had me craving to see what would happen next. One of the strongest problems was the large cast of characters, that are all given limited time and limited personalities so that they seem like filler between Colin's breakthroughs. Most of the other dynamic elements seemed to just fall in place, and Colin merely coexisted with them. His relationship with Hasan and their bickering was also a highlight of the book, but their language made every other character seem too bland. I loved hearing from them so much, and following Colin's train of thought, that it seemed every other aspect was just a nuisance of Green to write.
I had to admire John Green for the work he put into writing this, such as the cliff note on remembering the number sequence of pi. He put a lot of love into the little details, that made this book seem real, but almost so real that they seem like they were outright conceived outside of the novel. I think the main issue of this book was spending too much effort on certain aspects that most of the story could not match that level of passion. It was an uneven trip.
I do not think it was the strongest John Green book, but with the few characters he played with, I could see all of the passion and precision he puts into his work. It is hard not to love a book where you can see the author put so much work into. 3.5
on September 6, 2017
This book is very interesting and fun to read. There was lots of humor, and also lots of math. I found the book to be very relatable to almost every teenager who will read it. I loved the book, it made me think about what my life will amount to. A short summary of the book: Colin Singleton wants to matter, like almost everyone else in the world. He wants to be remembered as a genius, but he can't seem to put together a theory of the only problem in his life. He has been in a relationship with 19 girls named Katherine, but why have they all dumped him? Read and find out his mathematical thinking.
on April 24, 2015
I only rated "An Abundance of Katherines" four stars because it was a bit of a hassle to be constantly switching between the text and the footnotes. I wouldn't say this is the best John Green book, despite him being an amazing author, I would suggest someone who's never read a John Green book something more along the lines of "Looking for Alaska", or my personal favorite, "Paper Towns." However, John Green is a brilliant author and I have a lot of fun making connections between this novel and his others. Anagrams are an interesting story element, along with math (footnotes if you need explanation.) I love the diverse, unique, and extremely loveable characters. The plot is good but I feel it could've been executed better. The ending is kind of sudden and doesn't feel very conclusive. But overall it was fun to read little bits and pieces of Colin's Chicago life-especially while sitting in a hotel room overlooking Chicago.
on October 15, 2013
My first experience reading a John Green novel was the well-loved The Fault In Our Stars. It was such a fabulous book that I ran out and bought Looking For Alaska which I also loved. So the next time I made a book purchase, I ended up buying all the remaining John Green books which I have not read, and chose to read this one first. Mostly because it seemed to be getting the worst reviews and I figured if it's really not as good as people are saying it is, may as well read it now and get it over with. But before starting I was still in denial, SURELY I'll like it!

And I did. But I went into it with very high expectations I think, being that my first two John Green reads were phenomenal. So this book felt very lackluster in comparison. It held my attention well enough to get me to finish it, but not well enough that I'd recommend and/or re-read it. The plot just wasn't nearly as engaging, nothing major happened that really grabbed at my attention, and although previously I loved John Green's humor, this didn't felt as funny. Yes there were funny bits, but it just wasn't as entertaining. Also I wasn't particularly a fan of any of the characters except for Hassan.

I'm not exactly disappointed in the novel, but I'm not thrilled with it either. I guess I just don't have strong feelings one way or another for it. Oh, mediocre, that's the word I was looking for. It was a mediocre novel.
on August 2, 2014
When I had first ordered the book I expected it to be great! I ended up putting off reading it until about 2 months after I had ordered it so then I decided that I should give it a try. I started the book and got confused very fast. The equations and all the anagrams and charts and graphs just screwed up head and I could never understand what was going on! The overall book was amazing definitely one of my favorite John Green books. I just wished he could've made the anagrams and charts and graphs and equations easier to understand! I would totally recommend this book to a friend and here is a word of advice: even if the book doesn't seem as great as you thought it would be keep reading and you will be pleasantly surprise. :)
VINE VOICEon March 2, 2012
The hero of this refreshing coming of age story is Colin, a nerdy kid with a sky-high IQ who has dated 19 girls called Katherine and been dumped by all of them. Actually, it's really 18 -- because Katherine number one, who was his girlfriend for two minutes when they were eight, turns out also to be Katherine number 19.

With his friend Hassan, an amiable fat kid who is nominally Muslim, Colin sets out on a road trip from Chicago to recover from his wounds. Somewhere in Tennessee, they see a sign inviting them to visit the grave of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, whose assassination in Sarajevo set off World War One.

The tour guide for the alleged tomb is an appealing girl their own age called Lindsey Lee and the meeting sets off a new set of adventures. The two are invited by Lindsey's mother, Hollis, to stay the summer and help compile an oral history of the town of Gutshot, TN, and especially the cotton factory Hollis runs which has been reduced to producing tampon strings.

Colin, who loves making anagrams, reads voraciously and has "a piece missing" when it comes to relationships, seems to be somewhere on the Autism spectrum -- although the author never uses that word. He is obsessed by constructing a mathematical formula that will explain how relationships unfold and who will dump whom (a mathematician friend of the author provides a helpful essay at the end of the book to explain how the formula works).

Colin and Lindsey have an obvious attraction but Lindsey already has a boyfriend, a muscle-bound jock also called Colin. How will all this resolve?

I must say I liked this book. It was witty and also got into some of the heartbreaks of growing up and trying to figure out an identity. My one problem is that I did not believe fully in the protagonist. I did not believe that a kid as geeky as this one, with the kind of difficulties he has interacting with people, would have had 19 different girlfriends -- it just would not have happened. And for someone as socially awkward as he is supposed to be, he was quite assured with Lindsey when the time came.

But part of reading fiction is suspending disbelief, and I was able to do this well enough to enjoy the book.
on June 23, 2015
I love how John Green focuses his narratives on quirky smart kids who sometimes have a hard time staying out of their own ways. As I said in my paper towns review I could see a bit of myself in everybody within. I'm more hard pressed to find a connection between me and Colin, but I remember how high school me was a bit obsessed with the how and why of failing relationships. Like Colin, it got in my way time and time again. And reading about characters who worry so much about whether others think they are important and refuse to let their true selves shine certainly should give any reader pause whatever their age and see Lindsey and Colin's issues as their own and remember to live the way that they see fit..
on April 9, 2015
An abundance of Katherine's is a book that has to deal with a prodigy named Colin that believes that love can be based on a equation, after Colin and Katherine number 19 brake up Colin and his friend Hassan go on a trip that proves that love CAN be base on a equation during that trip Colin's explain to you why he only dated Katherine's like the book say's "not Katies or kats or kitties or cathys or ryanns or trinas or kays or Kates or, God forbid, Catherines" but that all changes once he meet Lindsey that's when the turning point happens he realize that love isn't based on a equation, and it kind of gives you the feeling that you can fall in love anywhere, you can't force love, just let it happen. It was a great book. I enjoyed it
on November 29, 2015
(2.5 stars)Colin has always dated Katherines and has always been dumped by them. He is a former child prodigy and is now transitioning to adulthood. He decides to take a road trip with his friend and they end up in a small town in Tennessee. There he begins working on a theorum of relationships, figuring out the factors that determine what happens in a relationship. In their time in town, he makes new friends and figures out more about himself and life and realizes that life may hold more for him that he initially anticipated. The book includes his passion for anagrams, footnotes and mathematical modeling.
on January 31, 2016
John Green puts his fine mind on display so engaging just to follow his word choice and thoughts. As a high school teacher not sure my students really think like his characters in such wry intelligent voices but fun to read. He adds humor, he add all the politically correct skin colors and voices.
He also seems to like car adventures and a hero who is somewhat OCD. His feminine characters are edgy beyond conventional girls but ok. I think he is a major talent and my students love The Fault in our Stars, great Shakespeare allusion. Read on with John!