Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on May 8, 2017
Odd, like an Edgar Allen Poe tale. Only this one is not recommended. I see I have seven more words required, there you have it.
on October 31, 2016
I loved this movie the first time I saw it. I watched it with my children, but a few short years later, my youngest son and a grandson died in a car wreck. Now, I have other grandchildren, but I still long to see those who aren't with us.

Losing a child or a grandchild will always be with you. Yes, I picked up the pieces, but the counselor I went to told me you never get over it. You just learn to live with it..
First let me say that this review contains spoilers. This is a pity. The only reason I placed these spoilers in this review is that the product description here already lets the cat out of the bag as to the ending. This is a pity.

Anyway....

I first read this story years and years ago. It was one of the many short stories we had to read in a special advanced English course I took in high school. Like most kids of that age I felt I was being force fed a bunch of stuff I had absolutely no interest in and must admit that I fought it. Over the years I have forgotten most to many of the numerous stories we read during that year, which is sort of sad when you think about it, but I have to tell you that this offering from Ambrose Bierce was not one of those that I consciously or unconsciously shuffled either to the back of my mind or out of it completely. No, no - far, far from it! This one has stuck with me throughout the years and I was delighted when I found it as a free Kindle download.

A Confederate man; a planter in northern Alabama during the Civil War has been captured by Union Solders. He has been sentenced to death and the story begins on a railroad bridge as the man stands on a railroad bridge with a rope noose about his neck about to be hanged. The board he is standing upon is tilted and he begins to fall.

This entire short story takes place in the doomed mans mind as he falls to the end of the rope. The reader at this point does not realize this and we watch in sickening slow motion as the rope breaks, the planter hits the water, is shot at, makes a daring escape, struggles through the woods and finally finds himself going up the steps of his home to the loving arms of his wife...snap..white searing light!

As the story progresses in becomes more and more surreal and the reader starts getting hints that not all is as it seems. When you consider when this work was written and published; around 1891, this is a rather remarkable ploy. You know something strange is going to happen but it is not until the final line; the final word that your suspicions are confirmed. Now I have never been hung. I probably should have been on a few occasions, but so far I have been fortunate. I am not at all sure that that much would go through a persons mind during the last three for four seconds of his or her life but that is rather moot. Whether this would actually happen is beside the point. The great thing about this story is that the author had the ability to make it quite real.

This story deserves to be read closely. In truly great short stories what is not written is quite often just as important as what is written. All great short story writers have this ability and Bierce most certainly had it going when he wrote this one.

In many ways this is a haunting story; anyway it was to me. While it most certainly cannot be classified as a horror story I can most emphatically tell you that it horrified me when I first read it. It had the same effect as several of the stories Poe wrote; the impact on my mind was just as great.

The quality of the Kindle download is quite good on this one. It will take you 15 or 10 minutes to read and it is free. It is most certainly worth your time.

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks
1010 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2017
Interesting read!
on November 20, 2015
What goes through the mind of someone about to die? Here is one answer from one man...there is probably a variation of this story
for every one who stands on the gallows.
on May 5, 2015
Buy for "The Occurrance at Owl Creek Bridge". This is real writing skill. Other stories just a bonus.
on July 13, 2016
This story had me going I really thought he had escaped!!!!! Short and to the point I enjoyed this quick read.
on October 16, 2015
Its been at least 45 years since I read this book but bought it for a 13 year old excellent reader. He's liking it so far.
on September 21, 2015
Loved it when I first read it (30 years ago) and loved it even more this time.
on December 26, 2013
Fantastic 19th century psycho short story. A Twilight Zone episode. This will truly make you think, which is a good thing.