Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: An Offer He Can't Refuse
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on January 11, 2013
I liked the book, it had fun moments but the characters were pretty wishy washy. The male and female lead liked then hated each other with every page. The basis was a stretch and the author didn't try to make it more realistic. The characters could have used better back round development but it was decent for a short, fast read.
on March 2, 2013
I was looking for a good romance book, and this nearly fit the bill with a few hits and misses. Another reader noted that the book didn't work for her because you knew early on that Jackson knew Madison and was in on the scheme to make sure she didn't get the money. In fact, that actually was not bad for me. I liked the fact that Madison really didn't want to do this, but had no choice. She really needed the money for a good cause, and her cousin was just blowing money on gambling. Is it realistic that any woman would marry a perfect stranger to inherit $2 million dollars and not worry about him killing her, raping her, or robbing her blind? Uh, nope, not at all. BUT, it was still fun to read when I wasn't rolling my eyes that is.

What did fall a little flat for me was how it progressed. I liked that he was really working hard at the beginning to get her to choose him. I liked that she chose Collin, but he said no. She instinctively knew something wouldn't work with Jackson. I don't know if any woman would have looked at a guy who didn't need the money and truly thought he was doing this because she was desperate. One, why would he care...he doesn't know her. Two, men generally run from marriage, not volunteer for it...especially with a stranger. And three, no matter what you promised, no where in that promise did it say "to look out for her means that you need to go to extremes like marriage to a stranger".

The supporting characters were great. I loved Chris, Pam, Jamie, Collin, and Jen. You don't get tons of them in the story, but what you get is entertaining. I like how she thought Jackson and Chris were a couple, then gets drunk at her wedding after learning they are not. I like how Jen and Pam teach her how to seduce Jackson and the pool scene one of my favorites. Those that knew what was really going on didn't agree with it, but at the end of the day hoped Jackson would realize what a great woman he married.

What didn't work for me was the fact that he just blindly believed Heather. Even when he wasn't sure he didn't just ask Madison or even follow up by going to the shelter to check on her story. He met the kids, he'd been to her house, he saw her car, he spoke to her best friend, but he still thought she was a greedy money hungry woman? Just because of one party where she was dressed up? Even his brother wasn't supportive of his doing this for Heather...you think he would have been smarter...and he came across as smart except for seeing through Heather. Then the whole not wanting to commit was just annoying...he had every symptom of loving this woman, but it took him to nearly the end to realize he wanted her. Last, the end was also a little abrupt. I expected something more...it wasn't bad, just I didn't understand what happened after he left the office and showed up at her house. He has Adam, a deed, and is just in time to stop Heather on Madison's birthday? Uh, exactly how and when did all of this happen in one day?

So, to sum it up, yes, it was fun reading it, but still had some things that kept it from being a great book for me. I by no means am the majority and expect that others will enjoy it more.
on December 10, 2012
This is the sixth book from Theresa Ragan that I have read and I can honestly say that this is the best one yet. :-) The story of Madison and Jackson, An Offer He Can't Refuse is a drama/comedy that catches your attention on the first page then tugs at your heartstrings throughout.

A great book and a great read. A true winner from author Theresa Ragan.
on December 30, 2012
I'm not as much of a fan as other reviewers. There are fun moments and overall the book is slightly entertaining. However, I found myself feeling frustrated by both main characters. Marrying a total stranger.... dumb. Agreeing to marry a total stranger out of some misguided sense of obligation..... dumber. What kind of moron would do that, because he promised his old mentor he'd look after the mentor`s grasping, phony, manipulative widow? I don't think so. Only get this one if it's free and you have absolutely nothing else to read.
on December 10, 2012
My rating style is pretty simple. A 5 indicates that I love the story and writing style ... and promptly look for other books by the same author to buy. This was one of those books that I rated a five for it had an easy to follow but clever plot and just fun to read.
on December 9, 2012
I've read a lot of romance novels in which one party had to marry in order to inherit, but never one in which the other possible heir sent in a red herring to pose as a groom so he could dump the bride just short of the time needed to inherit. The story and the sexual chemistry between Jackson and Madison kept me turning the pages.
on February 10, 2013
I found the story intriguing, but in the middle of the book it started getting thin with interest. The same event is just replayed in different scenarios and it becomes predictable. However, I found myself wanting to skip through the predictability to see what does indeed happen at the end.
on February 24, 2013
This came up in one of my 'free or reduced price' newsletters, as most of the items that I get for my Kindle do.

This was a quick read that required no brain. There wasn't much to it, just your basic girl-meets-guy, girl-gets-involved-with-guy-despite-not-wanting-to, guy-does-something-to-upset-girl, girl-and-guy-fix-it and happily ever after.

While the two main characters seemed somewhat fleshed out, the secondary and other characters weren't. The storyline had a lot of potential if the author had wanted to create something deeper and more meaningful.

I would consider this a 'beginner story' for the writer and would encourage her to continue finding her 'comfortable area' within the genre she chooses.

Like I said, quick no-brainer. It's not something I'll read again and I'm glad that I didn't pay anything for it.
on February 26, 2013
Madison needs to be married for the three months leading up to her 30th birthday in order to inherit $2 million. Now, Madison wouldn't concern herself at all - and just let the money go to her conniving cousin, but she's involved with a children's charity and it desperately needs the financial help. So she asks Jackson, a complete stranger she meets in a bar, to marry her. What she doesn't know is that Jackson, for his own reasons, was sitting in that bar just waiting for her odd proposal. And it goes from there.

I thought it was a mostly cute story with some really unbelievable aspects - (minor spoiler) such as the fact that no one, and I mean no one, can sign annulment papers and have the marriage ended on the same day. And wouldn't Madison have had to sign them, too?

Overall some fun parts and some eye-rolling parts; didn't hate it but I didn't love it, either. Recommended when you're looking for a light read.
on July 19, 2014
Cute and Sassy female character that is determined to save the day, anyway she can, when it comes to the local charity that she volunteers at. Madison is an Accountant with a reputable company but it is the money she is to gain from a recently deceased relative (of sorts) that she has her sights on. To get the money for the kids and save their future (literally) she must wed. She hardly dates and has no prospects, so her best (aggressive proactive) friend takes her to a speed dating session and later a club to find the elusive new husband. Madison's conniving cousin has other plans for the money and has set someone on the path to stop Madison from getting the inheritance.
The kids at the club are not really on board and are not sure that Madison is making the right choice, so they get involved as well. Great fun read!