Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Anatomy Coloring Book
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

on December 28, 2002
Buy colored pencils and a good sharpener...some of the drawings and diagrams are TINY. Markers of any size are just too big.
I just took my first exam and have to say that this book made me remember everything...learning by doing is now my favorite way to study, because many of us forget what we read by the time we turn the pages. This is a must-have for anyone out there studying anatomy, because you won't forget what you learn this way.
on July 19, 2013
This coloring book is meh.

I found inconsistent labeling for the same structure (ie. thoracic vertebrae would be labeled "T" on a couple of pages and then labeled "G" on the next).

As I was going through and coloring the "Skeletal & Articular Systems" section, I noticed that there were a couple of mistakes.

For example, on page 17:
-the structure labeled H should be I instead (yellow marrow)
-structure I should be J (nutrient artery)
-structure I^1 should be J^1 (nutrient artery branches)

Throughout the book, I also felt like it was either too hard to tell which structure the labels were pointing to or it would be pointing at the wrong thing. My suggestion is that you use your anatomy & physiology textbook/ lab manual along with it as a reference!
on September 11, 2003
I found this book to be excellent for helping me with my college anatomy and physiology class. I first tried to learn locations of muscles by just looking at pictures. However, for some reason, the muscles would not stick to my mind as easy. I then started using this book and coloring the muscles. In this way, the locations of muscles stuck to my mind and was able to recall them on the test. However, I also highly recommend the following:
Key Facts for Anatomy and Physiology
(ISBN: 0971999694)
I used this book for both my anatomy classes (Anatomy and Physiology 1) and (Anatomy and Physiology 2). Since it was easy to comprehend, my study time was decreased. This book was also to the point and it showed me which facts to study more. In this way, I was better prepared for my college exams while other students were still guessing what was going to be on the test. My advice is to get these 2 book for anatomy and physiology class. Both books are well worth the money.
on March 10, 2004
I purchased this while taking a course in Anatomy, and did much better in the class. What would take the text a chapter to explain, this book explained in a few pages - sometimes in a few paragraphs. It was much easier to understand the organ systems when you could actually see how things worked. The coloring aspect to me at first, seemed rather silly, but it was so much fun that I quickly got past that! I would definately recommend this book to anyone taking anatomy - purchase it with your other texts if you can (I waited till mid semester to buy mine), and start off using it as a study guide - it will definately help. They make many other of these types of books also, so if you are studying biology, microbiology, physiology, and so on, it might also help to get these.
on April 26, 2013
I've had this book about 2 weeks and have colored about 20 pages in it. I work in a medical field and it's a great refresher for my job, considering my last anatomy course was 30 years ago. It's very detailed and explains some physiology, too. I tried several different colored pencil sets with it and like the Crayola 50-pack best Crayola 50ct Long Colored Pencils. You need a hand pencil sharpener also. A 24-color set Crayola 24ct Long Colored Pencils or Cra-Z-art Colored Pencils, 24 Count (10403) would work fine, too; I just wanted a larger variety of colors. Some pages need more than 12 colors so I wouldn't recommend using only a 12-pencil set. (The Cra-Z-art brand seems just as good as Crayola to me; I also have the Cra-Z-art 24-pencil set).
on August 26, 2004
I bought this under the advice of nursing students before me. I love this book, it is highly informative and has helped me memorized the anatomy of the body. Though I'll probably not need to learn the whole book, the parts that I've used has helped. I bought the physiology counterpart as well. You may think $13.99 is steep for a coloring book, but with how many pages it has it is worth it. The book is not just a coloring book, it offers information on the body parts as well.
on August 19, 2002
I just graduated high school, about to go on to college as a biological sciences major. This is a book that is essential for review. It may have a lot of pictures, but the descriptions are just great. It's a very useful learning tool and it adds some fun to Physiology and Anatomy class, where we know there is no fun to be found. I have both the Anatomy and Physiology book and I will keep them as references throughout my undergrad and when I move onto medical school.
on June 14, 2004
I am in college-level beginning anatomy and the instructor was quizzing the class on terminology. He gave the definition or pointed to a body part and we had to shout out the answer. I knew all of the terms while my classmates struggled.
During break, my classmates asked how I knew/remembered this stuff. My answer? "The Anatomy Coloring Book." They blithely dismissed it as kid's stuff, a _coloring_ book. Well, that may be...but *I* know the material.
on July 11, 2007
I used this book with a 5 week course in Human Anatomy and found it to be one of the more effective study tools. Reading the material, coloring the structures and really paying attention to how they all go together absolutely reinforces learning by bringing together several senses- reading, visual, tactile, motor- and yes, even verbal since I talked to myself about what I was doing. Exceptionally helpful, even along with an excellent color atlas, models used in class and cadaver study.

I'd recommend purchasing high quality colored pencils to do the coloring- something like Berol prismacolor or Spectracolor. Markers are too liquid, the color too uniform and the paper too porous to get the clarity needed to understand the edges of the structures. This isn't to say the paper is poor quality- it isn't. It just takes ink too well for the purpose needed to really learn the material.

This is the original anatomy coloring book and is leagues better than any of the others out these- those are poor imitations, in my opinion.

I'm purchasing a second copy of this to use to provide instruction to a freshman in high school who has requested I teach anatomy to her. If I were taking physiology or microbiology again I would indeed purchase those- and I feel like buying the geography one just because I love maps and love the idea of the book.
on July 10, 2016
I purchased this coloring book because my A&P professor recommended it to our class as an additional learning tool. So I ordered it without question. When I opened it, I was immediately struck by how blurry the print quality is, and how small many of the pictures are--it looks like something someone drew with a pen in 1995, (even the text headings are hand drawn) and then photocopied and published in a book but never bothered to update it with the times & technology. I know a lot of people love this book, but it hasn't helped me any more than my A&P textbook or my professor's printed notes/diagrams. I would like it much more if the printing was crisper, not so blurry, and there were larger detail selections to color. I ended up giving this to my 6 and 4 year old children to 'help mommy' with my homework. They love it.
review image review image