Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 14, 2016
Take your health and recovery into your own hands- start by educating yourself. This book is a good place to start. The writing is clear and fairly detailed- very useful for the lay person. The title is some what self explanatory- a step on your journey to regain and maintain motion and body control. More informative if used in conjunction with other books on physical rehabilitation.
2 people found this helpful
on April 12, 2018
Fantastic book. I'm an acupuncturist and for the last 8 years, I've been specializing in orthopedics and sports medicine. There was a bit of a learning curve for me in doing that because in order to do that, I had to go outside of the realm of Traditional Chinese Medicine. I really wish I would have found this book a long time ago, I had to piece together a lot of the material that in it on my own. Had I found it back then, it would have saved me a lot of work. Great resource.
on January 29, 2007
_Anatomy of Movement_ by Blandine Calais-Germain is an excellent book for someone who is new to kenesiology, and also for the beginning and intermediate athlete.

As its title suggests, _Anatomy of Movement_ focuses on the bones, muscles, ligaments & tendons we use when we move. Each major section of the body, such back, arms, legs, etc., gets its own section in the book.

The anatomical drawings are very well done. The book has enough text to explain the drawings, but not so much as to overwhelm the reader. There are drawings showing the directions each muscle pulls in during different types of movements. Those drawings are VERY helpful to understanding the kinesiology of the body.

There was also an extensive section in the beginning on anatomical terms, such as dorsal, dorsiflexion, lateral, anterior, posterior, etc. The sections on the spine, pelvis, & knees were exceptionally well done.

I am not a bodyworker, masseuse, or dancer; but as an engineer who sits in an office chair all day and does martial arts and occasionally yoga to relax, I have developed a keen interest in kenesiology and anatomical studies. _Anatomy of Movement_ didn't specifically tell me the mechanics of any single karate kata** or yoga asana, and it didn't specifically explain why bad posture in a chair leads to a sore back when I walk around -- but it did give me a sound base of knowledge when I started reading other books about specific movements and activities.

** - _Anatomy of Movement_ did help me understand how joint locks on the shoulder work.
14 people found this helpful
on December 1, 2011
Some years ago I incorporated many of these exercises when rehabbing my back after a car accident. The exercises/stretches were practical and effective. I have NO chronic, recurring dysfunction and I credit that in part to staying active with these gentle but purposeful exercises rather than loading up on pain meds and "resting" it. Movement is essential to restoring function! Highly recommend.
13 people found this helpful
on March 2, 2017
I really great book, due to the drawings a person can get a feel for the 3-D of bones & movement. Movement of joints through planes plus muscles used of each kinesthetic movement, add,abduc, flex,ext,
Circum. this book was one of my best resources fo the Mblex exam,
on May 6, 2015
I am giving this book a 5 star before reading it because the first few pages are BOMB! This book includes everything you need to know to succeed in your studies. I am training for my certification to teach pilates on the mat and this is what I am required to read. So excited, the author really knew what he was doing when he wrote this book.
on October 8, 2016
This is a fabulous anatomy book. Lots of information but really easy to access, it's FULL of pictures.
on January 20, 2017
Great book, really helped me with learning my anatomy.
on June 11, 2018
I very like it
on July 12, 2014
Great reference for anyone who wants to understand fully how movement works at the deepest levels in our bodies. A solid foundation and "Must read" for anyone working as, or interested in becoming a personal trainer, physical therapist or deepening their personal knowledge of movement.