Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 81 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 95 reviews
on December 2, 2015
This DVD was amazing and incredibly informative. It answered so many questions about the "why" in my own practice and gave me a much better outlook on how yoga is very personal to each individual body no matter how much you might practice. Paul presents the information in a manner that's obvious through use of various yoga practitioners. I was also relieved to finally hear someone say that backbends are lumbar instead of being told they're thoracic and the reasons why. Every yoga instructor should be required to either watch this DVD or take full out anatomy classes to understand what they think "alignment" means. Anyone practicing yoga should watch this DVD to understand where you may achieve a posture or have to alter it.
on January 19, 2014
Two things really stuck with me from this DVD:

1. If range of motion in a pose is limited by compression, it's not going to change. I either need to find different alignment that removes the compression, or accept this is where I am at.

2. Every person's body really is unique. There are some poses I will never be able to move as deeply into as the person next to me. Our bones are different. That's just a fact of life.

Both helped me move away from comparing my practice to the other people in the yoga class. I always knew I "shouldn't", but this DVD explains very practical reasons why.

Paul's presentation style is humorous and engaging. He uses multiple unique people to demonstrate each point, and that makes all the difference in understanding the material.
on July 17, 2010
In many of the reviews many people recommend this as a must for Yoga instructors, but it is as important, if not more important for students to see it. You are the only one that can really tell how your body works and feels. It's important that you know what it is, exactly, that you are feeling. This DVD, is a must see for anyone practicing Yoga, teacher or student. Despite the name, and length, this is not a complete anatomy, but a skeleton anatomy. At first you may wonder why you need to know about the skeletal anatomy. The reason is, that is what ultimately restricts your movement. Tight muscles and connective tissue will stretch over time, but your skeletal structure will remain the same, and you need to work around it. If you try to push pass the restrictions of your skeletal system, you could seriously injure yourself. And that is the whole point of this DVD, to learn what is simply tension that can be worked through, and what is compression caused by the alignments in your skeletal structure.

The DVD contains almost 4 hours of lectures divided up into sections covering the various points of movement in the body, including places that you wouldn't normally think about, like the scapula. Paul starts each section with an overview of what he is going to be covering in each section, then gets into more detailed discussion. He explains the difference between tension, and compression, and how you can tell the difference, so that you don't injure yourself, and get the most out of your Yoga practice. He show how the different joints work, using a model skeleton, and how minor changes in the bone and joints can affect the way the joints move. He then brings up people with differing skeletal structures to show the types of restrictions that you would see in the joints and how they would look in different poses. This is immensely helpful, especially for people new to Yoga. If you are just trying to look like other people doing the poses, but don't understand the difference between muscle tension, and joint compression, you could hurt yourself. What Paul stresses throughout these lectures is not to worry about looking like everyone else. You need to get a feel for your body, and if you run into skeletal restrictions, you need to learn to work around them, which he also covers.

Overall this was a very interesting and informative DVD. I actually learned a lot about some points of compression that I had been fighting against thinking that it would loosen up. I am now working around those restrictions. Paul is a very good teacher and covers the subject thoroughly, while still keeping it interesting and easy to understand. By first showing how the joints work using a skeleton, and then bringing up real people to show how differing skeletal restriction actually look in certain poses, it makes it much easier to grasp the whole picture. I highly recommend this DVD for all Yoga practitioners.
on June 8, 2014
Instead of undergoing total bilateral knee replacements on 9/9/13, this 60 year old cancelled that surgery and began to practice Yoga at a local studio.

Although I have exacerbated multiple endstage osteoarthritis issues in my knees, neck and shoulder since then which TAUGHT me a lot and I am now a student in a Yoga teacher training course; I found this DVD illuminated to me what all the Required Readings on Anatomy did not!

The bottom line I received from this DVD is to LEARN and TAKE from ALL- then pick The BEST for me!

PS: Wabi-Sabi is the Japanese art of finding beauty in imperfections and celebrate the cracks, crevices and all the other marks that time leaves behind. Wabi-Sabi also reminds us that we are all transient beings on this planet and our bodies and the material world are in the process of returning to the dust from which we came. Through wabi-sabi, we learn to embrace liver spots, rust, and all our frayed edges that the march of time represent.
on November 7, 2014
I can't say enough good about this. We watched it in our yoga teacher training and I had to buy it. I have been practicing for several years and always thought that at some point I would just have a break through to move beyond where I thought I was stuck. After watching this and realizing that I was probably just dealing with anatomical restrictions, I have developed a much more loving practice. It seems a little dramatic to call a dvd revolutionary, but for me, this one truly is.
on October 2, 2014
I've been a practicing yogi since the '80s and have studied with many well known teachers over the years. I'm a 200 hour RYT and have been a studio owner and teacher. After watching Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga DVDs I purchased his Anatomy for Yoga. In my opinion it is very valuable information for any yoga teacher or serious student. Worth the price and time invested in watching.
on December 19, 2015
This is just ok. I was expecting a lot more after all the hype about Paul Grilley. I didn't really learn anything that didn't almost seem like common sense for a yoga teacher, and some of the model demos were very extreme.
on June 28, 2017
Needed it for yoga. Interesting material and arrived in good shape.
on June 21, 2015
SO boring but the information is so necessary to anyone! truly anyone, not just yoga teachers can seriously benefit from this film. There isn't really an exciting way to teach Anatomy and I think Paul did a great job!
on February 20, 2011
Paul Grilley is a wonderful teacher. He packs a world of material into his 4 hours of education time that all yogi's can benefit from, as well as PTs, dancers, and other body movement enthusiasts by skeletally explaining why bodies are so different and so why individual ability and range of motion for each of us is so unique to us...due to the nature of our bones, whether genetic or due to other reasons like injury. It is a different kind of anatomy course than the more dry & usual "...this is a femur, this is a pelvis" kind of thing...b/c of how it translates to movement and a pose, but most importantly how we as teachers see the students we work with every day. It is very absorbable & I highly recommend it.