Consider these available items
AncestryDNA: Genetic Ethnicity Test, Ethnicity Estimate, AncestryDNA Test Kit, Health and Personal Care
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- A FEW SIMPLE STEPS: Discover your DNA story with our easy-to-follow instructions. Simply activate your DNA kit online and return your saliva sample in the prepaid package to our state-of-the-art lab. In roughly six to eight weeks, your results will be ready online.
- TOP-SELLING CONSUMER DNA TEST: From your origins in over 1,000 regions to the most connections to living relatives, no other DNA test kit delivers an experience as unique and interactive as an AncestryDNA kit.
- PRECISE ETHNICITY AND LIVING RELATIVES: A more precise ethnicity estimate with greater geographic detail and in-depth historical insights connects you to the places in the world where your story started—from unique regions to living relatives.
- BUILD A FAMILY TREE: Combine what you learn from your DNA with an Ancestry subscription, for access to millions of family trees and billions of records, for even more insight into your genealogy and origins.
- PROTECTING PRIVACY: When you send your DNA kit to us, we employ industry-standard security measures in every stage of our process, work to protect your data, and give you control over it—with data encryption, secure databases, and easy-to-use controls.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who bought this product.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
Location and Detail Feature
You can see more specific breakdowns of places in your DNA, helping to pinpoint where your ancestors might have lived. Depending on your regions, you could also get a timeline of historical changes with expert-curated content, giving you context about the events that shaped the lives of your ancestors over time.
Location and Detail Feature
DNA Matches Feature
|Genetic Ethnicity||Genetic Ethnicity + Traits||Genetic Ethnicity + Traits + Health|
|Over 25 Traits||✓||✓|
|Next-generation sequencing technology||✓|
|Health & Wellness Reports||✓|
|Family Health History Tool||✓|
|Access to genetic counseling resources||✓|
|Printable report to take to your healthcare provider||✓|
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer : No
- Language: : English
- Product Dimensions : 9.5 x 5.5 x 1.7 inches; 5.3 Ounces
- Item model number : 445
- Date First Available : February 18, 2015
- Manufacturer : Ancestry.com
- ASIN : B00TRLVKW0
Best Sellers Rank:
#69 in Health & Household (See Top 100 in Health & Household)
- #3 in Genetic Tests
- Customer Reviews:
WARNING: AncestryDNA highly discourages the purchase of our DNA kit from unauthorized resellers. To ensure the best experience and service, please purchase directly from AncestryDNA Official. DNA kits that are fraudulently purchased and then resold through Amazon may be deactivated by AncestryDNA, and may not be eligible for a refund. Before you can use AncestryDNA and see your results, you must create an Ancestry account and agree to Ancestry’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement.
Statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
But the test result only says I'm "100% Asian." One giant yellow pie chart just saying I'm just "Asian", nothing else. So, I paid 80 bucks to find out I'm Asian.
AncestryDNA only 4 Asian regions (Asia, South Asia, Central Asia, and Guam/Philippines), whereas they have more than 100 European regions.
Is this some sort of sick joke? I understand that the company may have way fewer Asian samples. But then, they should've notified customers that they can't track Asian people's ancestry at all.
Don't waste your money on this, if you are Asian.
* I found the ethnicity estimate to be just about equal to everyone else. You can get more detail running your own models via gedmatch but for the curious or beginner, this is the easy result. If you just want to know whether you need a kilt or lederhosen or green beer for the next holiday seasons then this works as well, with many particular limitations, as any of the others.
* There's no medical interpretation - most don't anymore. You can get good medical results running your raw download through Promethease for a few bucks. If you want to know medical propensities then Ancestry won't help much on its own.
* The relationship calculations are pretty accurate and the database is huge. Compared to my other tests, this one returned far more and much closer connections. If you're looking for birth parents and such, this is the place to start. Just remember that the calculator is an estimate and other possibilities exist.
- The sampling process was simple "spit in a tube, mail it in" - I much prefer cheek swabs but this gets the job done.
- Time was super fast for me - 4 weeks from mail-in. I have a test out with one company that is nearing 3 months to process.
- The user interface is pretty simple for newbies but doesn't offer much in the way of analysis tools for those who have DNA experience. Gedmatch can makeup for the shortfall in analysis tools if you can get your matches to upload there.
- The ease of creating an attached tree makes for some particularly easy genealogical research to confirm/refute family connections.
- The ease of creating an attached tree makes for some particularly prevalent errors in family trees.
- yDNA and mtDNA predictive markers are hidden in these results if you want to make an effort to dig them out.
- The marketing of this tester has created a large database of folks who were only interested in ethnicity and admixture estimates who have no interest in and won't reply to genealogy queries. Many haven't logged back in since they got their results back.
There seem to be a lot of customers who forgot that molecular biology, human origins and migrations geography, and world history weren't their best subjects in school and were expecting this to return an easy result to "grasp it all" in a few minutes. The more you want to dig, the more complex the understanding will become. "DNA for Dummies" is a master's degree - "All You Ever Wanted to Know..." is a PhD. If you get hung up on needing to understand it all in a few short hours then you're going to get very frustrated. Take it in a little at a time.
Having spent many $1000's on this hobby over the years, I'm very pleased with this $70 investment into understanding who I am and where I came from. Your mileage may vary.
Top reviews from other countries
This is over 20% of the worlds population!!!!!
Anybody who knows this region can attest to how different these peoples are. I get it, this field is still under development. But if they can take the time and effort to differentiate between German and French people, the same can be done for South Asia. The point is, don't waste your money on this test if you are from here until they refine their databases.
Also I complained to their "support" email on this very issue, and no one has bothered to respond - so poor customer service as well.
No health information and no detailed information.....unless.....YOU PAY FOR AN ANCESTRY SUBSCRIPTION.
Of course. Don't waste your money. Get a 23andMe test with soooooooo much more information and a lot more family connections. They aren't perfect either but much more worth the money spent.
I sadly have to agree as after the results appeared in my Ancestry account I was very disappointed to see that they failed to disclose any sign of my Italian heritage at all and even clicking through the Engilsh ethnic breakdown showed absolutely NO connection to any place whatsoever so apparently I am an alien who was dropped here from outer space so I could not recommend this as a service that produces a valid ethnic breakdown at all. Their results graph and click through breakdown are extremely limited, especially after comparing them with other services so from the ethnicity perspective, think they are bordering on false advertising!!
Even the cousin matches seem to be based on the surnames listed in your tree with no attempt at comparing the people between trees to see if there is actually anyone in common! I have managed to find a few actual matches in the cousin match list, no thanks to their matching service, but more to the fact that I have been researching my tree for many years and am fortunate to know someone who is very competent at DNA and family tree research to help me weed out the rubbish from the genuine matches.
Thankfully there are two saving graces with this service:
1. They have a big database to which to compare with
2. You can download the raw DNA file and upload it to services with far superior ethnic breakdown and better graphs
Uploading my Raw AncestryDNA file to the free GedMatch service, immediately displayed my known Italian, Scottish, Welsh and English heritage along with French that I had been hoping to find to confirm a verbal family history plus Irish, German and Swedish which were a pleasant surprise that I will enjoy trying to discover which branch of the tree they belong to! I have also uploaded the DNA file to other free services, MyHeritage that also shows the Mediterranean connection along with LivingDNA whose results I am still waiting for. All these services also include cousin matches who share dna so you end up with a much bigger pool of possible matches than Ancestry alone.
Also on the plus side, you can also upload the file to sites that produce pure health related results from your DNA with Promethese (paid) and CodeGen (free) or Genomelink and learn how your DNA shapes your nutrition, fitness, personality and intelligence traits.
On the down side, Ancestry keeps changing it's build format so that some free services are unable to process their Raw DNA file and do not include the facility to upload Raw DNA files provided and processed by the services named above.
So from that perspective, if DNA testing for fun and to find potential cousin matches is something you are considering, then wait for when they have a cheap special offer available. If you want a proper ethnic breakdown, either use the raw DNA file and upload it elsewhere or use one of the more accurate providers. Note they only do autosumnal DNA testing and NOT Y-DNA testing so you will need to use another service for that.
Need it sooner?
Disclaimer: While we work to ensure that product information is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our Web site. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Amazon.com assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.