Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Anchor Hocking 3-Piece Measuring Cup Set
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

Size: Set of 3|Change

Many years ago, I bought a two cup Anchor Hocking measuring cup to replace a cloudy Pyrex one. The Anchor Hocking lasted many years and stood up quite well to dishwasher cleaning. I have a water softener and a dishwasher that heats water to a very high temperature, which are ideal conditions for the phosphorous in detergents to cause glass to leech and discolor. During the time I owned this measuring cup, I went through at least three sets of drinking glasses that were replaced when they got too cloudy. I don't use the measuring cup every day and it does not go in the dishwasher nearly as often as everyday glasses, but it stood up well from my perspective.

Not long ago, my wife knocked it off a counter onto a hard kitchen floor. It broke and needed to be replaced. At the Amazon price, I didn't have to think twice about getting the three piece set, even though I needed only one of them. Having a one quart measure is convenient, as you may realize once you have one. For any tasks that required using a two cup measure more than once, things become easier.

I prefer Anchor Hocking measuring cups over Pyrex because they are easier for me to use. They have the measurements in cups and fractions on both sides, in addition to metric measurements on one side. The Pyrex has the metric measurements on the equivalent side, but you cannot hold it in the left hand and see increments of cups. The AH lets you pour with your left hand while stirring with your right, or pouring with your right or left as needed. The measurements are easy to read no matter which hand you place the cups down with.

Another advantage is that open handles make things nestable. The D ring handles in Pyrex won't allow that, and getting more than two fingers in there can be awkward, especially for those of us without dainty fingers.
66 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2012
These are NOT dish washer safe, the red lettering comes off after the first washing. Totally useless now. Will be returning them.
66 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2011
I had read the reviews on this item before deciding to purchase but I just couldn't believe what people were saying about inadequate packaging and so many items being broken upon arrival. And I thought, "Well, what are the odds it will happen to me?" Usually I trust the reviews I've read so this was a big mistake. They arrived barely packaged at all (they are nested in a regular product box suitable for being on the shelf at the store) but without any bubble wrap or peanuts. These are glass, nested measuring cups and they don't bother packaging them? It seems like a waste since these will just end up in a landfill somewhere. I could hear broken glass rattling before I even opened the box. What's worse is that the box had obviously been opened before and re-taped shut so they were probably broken before they even sent them to me. A very frustrating product experience. I am sure that they measuring cups are fine for use but just based on looking at them briefly I feel that the four cup is a bit too much for my needs and the one cup a bit too small so perhaps I will just buy a few two cup ones even though they won't nest together.
on December 12, 2011
I bought the A-H 3 Piece Measuring Cup Set because I broke my Pyrex 2-cup measure recently. In reading the reviews of the Pyrex cups, I learned that Pyrex is no longer making their cups from borosilicate glass, so they have lost their famous hot/cold capability. Also, people complained that the new Pyrex spouts were too small, causing dribbling. Some of the A-H reviews said that the spouts were larger, making it easy to pour.

Why I'm disappointed: I have no idea whether the A-H cups are made from borosilicate glass because it doesn't say anything about it on the package. I don't think that the spouts are any larger than the Pyrex spouts, and that means you just have to pour slowly to avoid dribbling. I am most annoyed that there are no one ounce marks on any of the cups, even the 1 cup measure. Would it have cost A-H any more to put them on? Finally, my 2 cup measure came with a chip that I didn't notice until I had thrown the packaging away. If I had noticed it when I opened the box, they would have gone right back to Amazon, but now I will <long suffering sigh> live with it.
on November 25, 2011
The two unbroken cups are great. I'm not sure why the company packs these so carelessly. Unfortunately I had purchased this as a housewarming gift and the broken pieces were thrown away before I discovered the mess so I could not return it but instead had to repurchase a new set. The product is very nice but the packaging leaves a lot to be desired.
on November 10, 2014
Its my fault, I didn't read the negative reviews. I Can't review the product yet, I'm still waiting. It took 13 days to get here and it got here BROKEN even though it was wrapped in bubble wrap, in the manufacturer's box and had air pillows. I could hear the glass tinkle before I even opened it. The biggest cup had chips on the spout. There were NO fragile/glass warnings on the outside box anywhere. I'm returning it and reordering, but they estimate the replacement might take up to another 55 days. Really, 55 days? That's insane! The listing says its in stock, and I really need these to start my Holiday cooking. If it doesn't get here soon, I will give up and go buy at retail. This will be the first time in many years that Amazon will have failed me. Not a happy shopper right now. :(
on June 9, 2016
After around 10 washes, these measuring cups are now completely clear. The measures washed off completely. I was replacing a Pyrex set I had since I got out of college, 30 years ago. These lasted a week. As other reviews report, my first set arrived with a chipped lip, and Amazon made return easy. I simply cannot imagine how such a ludicrous failure made it past the scrutiny of an otherwise respected brand.
review image
on March 18, 2010
This set was just perfect for me, but when I took the Anchor Hocking box out of the Amazon box, it went clink-clink. Upon opening it, I discovered the middle cup had a chunk of glass taken out of the top of it.

Anchor-Hocking is replacing it for me, so I'm super-happy about that, but given the choice, I'd rather buy this item in a store so I don't have to depend on the post office handling the box with more care than they did this one.
on May 5, 2016
I thought I would save a few dollars and order the Anchor Hocking version of these measuring cups over the Pyrex branded version and now I know why they are cheaper. Never in the all of the years that I have used glass measuring cups have I had one shatter when used in the microwave. I melted one stick of butter in the 2 cup Measuring Cup, removed it from the microwave, walked over the counter, swirled the butter in the measuring cup and then "POP" with the whole cup shattering into dozens, if not hundreds of tiny glass shards. it didn't even break the way tempered glass should. I have never seen this happen before, ever. But then again, I've always used Pyrex glassware. Now I know why. Save your self possible hassle and purchase the real, Pyrex version of these.

Anchor Hocking 3-Piece Measuring Cup Set
on November 24, 2015
I needed multiple sized measuring cups, and that is what I got. However, the largest cup came chipped with a sliver of the lip broken off in the box. I really needed these so I didn't send them back, but I am disappointed that they could possibly break so easily. I've had similar products before that were much more heavy duty. Another issue I have had with these is when I put them in the microwave it acts as if there is metal inside. It sparks and pops, and the only thing that is consistent is using these measuring cups, not what food I'm microwaving. Strangely though, it doesn't happen every single time. So who knows, maybe my microwave is taking a dump. I just hope other buyers receive their cups in one piece!