Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on June 8, 2015
Just a silly great slapstick movie. Nothing intense. It's a no stress zone when watching this movie. Just lots of laughs. And if you remember the '70's you will laugh harder. I love the cameos of some different stars. That was an unexpected plus.

If you are expecting a plot or anything drama related you will be disappointed. Think of it like a modern day 3 stooges a la Will Ferrell.
on April 11, 2014
I welcomed the news that another Anchorman had been commissioned and was really looking forward to checking this out on blu-ray. The first Anchorman was funny, uniquely charming (in a politically incorrect way) and was one of those rare comedies that one appreciated more and more with repeat viewings (I think the correct way of describing such a movie in the industry is that it had "legs").

Unfortunately the humour in Anchorman 2 seemed a little forced and quite a few of the jokes fell flat. I think they missed an opportunity where some frugal editing would have created a infinitely better product and removed a lot of the needless subplots that did not work or add anything to the story (such as the Brick courting scenes that were horrible).

Despite the sequels obvious flaws I would still recommend it to fans who enjoyed the original. Just don't expect the same level of quality. There are quite a few belly laughs but I also found myself cringing as they drew humour and jokes directly from the same well as the original... jokes that were funny the first time around... just not for the second helping.

Here's hoping that if they decide to add a third edition to the franchise that they learn from the mistakes made with this sequel and keep it lean, mean and work a little harder on the humour and pace.
on April 3, 2015
I really enjoyed the first Anchorman making this one all the more disappointing. Granted, sequels are rarely good but this one is particularly bad. The plot is decent enough for the first half of the movie, although it seems like every random thought made the cut. The idea of Ron leading the charge for 24-hour news is humorous and satirical. However, once he has his "down fall," the movie falls as well. After a brilliant back-alley fight scene in the first movie's offering, this effort went horribly wrong. They played up the outrageous and larger-than-life angle and it just didn't work. I actually felt embarrassed for Harrison Ford's part in the scene. It's a shame, too, because they were so creative with the first. Well, I guess the lesson remains: sequels will let you down.
on June 9, 2015
I loved the first Anchorman so I was really looking forward to this one. But it's a let down. I chuckled at a few jokes here and there. The premise seemed interesting though: Ron Burgundy as an anchorman at a fictional 24 hours new channel. It was funny to see Ron supposedly coming up with ideas that are now so prevalent on the news channel nowadays. But it was just a bunch of vignettes strung together. His costars were on the sidelines most of the time, not as funny. The worst part was the romance between Brick Tamland and an office worker played by Kristen Wiig. I don't get the love for Kristen Wiig. As far as I'm concerned she ruins everything she's in. But if you love Ron Burgundy, it's not a bad way to spend 90 minutes I guess.
on May 1, 2014
While this film doesn't come out feeling as fresh as the original (but that's the real problem with sequels like this, isn't it?), Anchorman 2 does have a fair amount of good comedy – less of it involving Brick than I expected – and some surprisingly good drama. Let me just get this out of the way and say I hated the characterization of Ron's son. The kid was all over the place and never felt as tied into the story as (I assume) he was supposed to. However, I enjoyed James Marsden's villain (why isn't he in more movies right now?). I kind of wish his team was more memorable, but he was like a shining star right there as it was, so that may have detracted from it, so I will forgive them for that.

I'm waiting for the alternate cut to come out to pass judgement, so I'm going to be generous here. I would give it three-stars if I knew that this was all that was coming, but if the alternate cut turns out to be filled with some better gags, I'm prepared.
on May 16, 2014
So I was totally unsure how this movie would turn out because I heard so many people say it was horrible.
I really liked the first one and was dying laughing in theaters with everyone else, so I was a bit reserved.
The movie definitely had some funny parts and while it retained a lot of the same formula, it was no where near
as verbatim as The Hangover franchise. (This is a good thing) SPOILERS!!!!! So in a weird way it ended up twisting more
into a twilight room-ish romantic comedy with less emphasis on the vulgar potty boy humor, (although there's still plenty of it) and that was something I didn't see coming. It was entertaining, but it will never replace the original film. Try it out and see if you like it. I enjoyed the second round of Anchorman, but found it less funny and more romantic comedy than the first.
on April 11, 2014
Like the subject line says if you liked the first one you'll like this one too. It's like reliving the first movie but unlike some movies like Hangover, etc - this sequel isn't just the same thing as the last one.

Most importantly though - the special features on this DVD are fantastic! There is a 2-part gag real that's very full and hilarious, there are several line-o-ramas as well. But even better than that, there's 2 DIFFERENT versions of the movie! Not just a longer/extended version or whatever, the Super Sized and Theatrical versions are actually different - they used the improv and line-o-ramas to actually change many scenes!

Very happy to see a movie that actually gives us those type of "extras" - everyone should do it. So disappointed any more especially when I buy a comedy and there's no gag real or anything with it. This movie isn't just a great movie, it really gives back to the customers and makes you feel like you seriously got your money's worth for the first time in a long while.

-D
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 6, 2014
When I first watched the trailer for this movie, I had a sneaking suspicion that the only funny parts were being shown. I was hesitant to rent this, but I absolutely loved the first Anchorman movie, so I thought I'd give it a try. Like with most sequels, it didn't live up to the first movie. There were times where I was laughing - Brick Tamlin played by Steve Carell was actually the saving grace, that kept me from not absolutely hating the movie. It was almost as if they were trying way too hard to make it funny. I am a big Will Ferrell fan, but this felt like a stretch for him.

There were also a few cameos that were funny - Will Smith, Harrison Ford, Jim Carrey, and Vince Vaughn, to name a few.

I probably won't buy this DVD. I'm kind of regretting that I rented it, but that's part of it all.
on April 23, 2014
The first 'Anchorman' was goofy, quirky and hilarious. This sequel doesn't even imitate the successful elements of the first film; it's just convoluted, kind of offensive (with the over-the-top, overly repetitive "she's black" comments about his female African American boss), and not creative or clever at all. Even the dysfunctional "news team" personalities lack any energy or humor this time around. In the first film, the news team fight in the streets a la "West Side Story" was unexpected, cute and funny. In this film, that scene is just repeated on a larger scale and not funny at all because we've seen it before and it's just unnecessary and goes on way too long in the sequel. I really was excited to see this and wanted to like it, but I do not recommend it at all.
on April 6, 2014
"Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" was an inspired spoof of Seventies culture and network news affiliates anchored by the title character who was equal parts pompous, haughty, chauvinist, and dimwitted. This follow-up has its moments but it has more of a class reunion feel than a proper sequel. My favorite bit is Burgundy (Will Ferrell) having family dinner with his African-American girlfriend and spouting out virtually every negative racial stereotype. Film is almost stolen by Steve Carell as Brick Tamland, the double digit I.Q'd. weatherman. Kristen Wiig as Brick's equally stupid love interest is a nice addition to the franchise. A little bit of a disappointment because of the uneven nature of this installment but has a fair amount of laughs to give it a marginal recommendation