Andrew P. King
Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Andrew P. King
Andrew King is a teacher, author, father of 2 and former camel owner (it's a long story!). He has many years of experience in teaching at university level, both in the U.K. and internationally. He currently works at King’s College London, teaching Biomedical Engineering students courses on computer programming and statistics. His writing is informed by his experience of teaching students with an interest in the biomedical applications of technology, and his books represent accessible yet thorough introductions to key topics in biomedical engineering, motivated by real-world biomedical examples.
As well as his educational activities, Andrew leads a research group with a focus on medical image analysis and machine learning.
Group home page: http://kclmmag.org
Customers Also Bought Items By
Titles By Andrew P. King
Statistics for Biomedical Engineers and Scientists: How to Analyze and Visualize Data provides an intuitive understanding of the concepts of basic statistics, with a focus on solving biomedical problems. Readers will learn how to understand the fundamental concepts of descriptive and inferential statistics, analyze data and choose an appropriate hypothesis test to answer a given question, compute numerical statistical measures and perform hypothesis tests ‘by hand’, and visualize data and perform statistical analysis using MATLAB. Practical activities and exercises are provided, making this an ideal resource for students in biomedical engineering and the biomedical sciences who are in a course on basic statistics.
- Presents a practical guide on how to visualize and analyze statistical data
- Provides numerous practical examples and exercises to illustrate the power of statistics in biomedical engineering applications
- Gives an intuitive understanding of statistical tests
- Covers practical skills by showing how to perform operations ‘by hand’ and by using MATLAB as a computational tool
- Includes an online resource with downloadable materials for students and teachers
MATLAB Programming for Biomedical Engineers and Scientists provides an easy-to-learn introduction to the fundamentals of computer programming in MATLAB. This book explains the principles of good programming practice, while demonstrating how to write efficient and robust code that analyzes and visualizes biomedical data. Aimed at the biomedical engineer, biomedical scientist, and medical researcher with little or no computer programming experience, it is an excellent resource for learning the principles and practice of computer programming using MATLAB.
This book enables the reader to:
- Analyze problems and apply structured design methods to produce elegant, efficient and well-structured program designs
- Implement a structured program design in MATLAB, making good use of incremental development approaches
- Write code that makes good use of MATLAB programming features, including control structures, functions and advanced data types
- Write MATLAB code to read in medical data from files and write data to files
- Write MATLAB code that is efficient and robust to errors in input data
- Write MATLAB code to analyze and visualize medical data, including imaging data
- Many real world biomedical problems and data show the practical application of programming concepts
- Two whole chapters dedicated to the practicalities of designing and implementing more complex programs
- An accompanying website containing freely available data and source code for the practical code examples, activities, and exercises in the book
- For instructors, there are extra teaching materials including a complete set of slides, notes for a course based on the book, and course work suggestions