Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Oxford Bookworms Library: Stage 5: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?: 1800 Headwords (Oxford Bookworms ELT)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on April 17, 2008
I bought this edition of "Androids" under the impression that it was the sci-fi classic written by Philip K. Dick.

However, when I finally received it, I was surprised to find that this edition is actually a re-write.

LIttle did I know, the Oxford Bookworms Library is a subsidiary of the publishing house that "offers a wide selection of readers that are adaptations of modern and classic fiction.... graded at six language levels, from elementary (400 word vocabulary) to advanced (2,500 word vocabulary)."

This edition is Level 5, and while it still tells the basic story of "Androids..", it is certainly not Dick's novel. It is an adaptation.

My mistake! And I certainly am glad quality sci-fi is being made available (in distilled form) to beginning readers.

Yet I am compelled to write this review because I don't feel that Amazon.com is making it abundantly clear that this is a re-written edition.

The top of this page says:
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Oxford Bookworms Library) (Paperback)
by Philip K. Dick (Author), Andy Hopkins (Editor), Joc Potter (Editor)

When it really should read:
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Oxford Bookworms Library) (Paperback)
re-written by Andy Hopkins (Editor), Joc Potter (Editor), based on the original novel by Philip K. Dick (Author).

I hope Amazon will review their description of this book or post my review so other customers aren't misinformed.
2222 comments| 1,106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2010
I have never seen bladerunner, nor have I read the original version of this novel. I wasn't aware there were different versions til after I had finished. I was amazed at how terrible this book was, until I noticed that this version is a rewrite. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Personally I plan on scouting out to find the novel actually written by Philip K. Dick. Having had no prior experience with this story, I still felt like I'd just walked out of a butchered movie showing of a potentially great book. It disheartened me to think that I wouldn't love this novel that I'd heard so much about. The characters have no depth. The story is simply told, no frills, no information. The planet is desolate, there are mentions of a WWT, and a basic story is played out. However, I felt nothing for the murdered androids, I didn't understand the quick affair between the android and bounty hunter. There were serious holes, because I couldn't tell for the life of me, why the android would kill the goat, or besides to illustrate a small point of lack of empathy, why androids would mutilate a spider. Nor was there any information on Mercer, or bounty hunting in general, which felt like huge plot points. Even for science fiction beginners, which I'm not, I wouldn't recommend the oxford edition of this book. I'm just relieved to know this story still has potential elsewhere.
on October 6, 2010
Frankly, I find it freakish that the one version of this novel available on Amazon is not written by Philip K. Dick, though it appears to be. The original is spectacular; however, this re-written version by Andy Hopkins and Joc Potter is a watered down, sanitized, ersatz-version of the original. And by the way--it is extremely hard to tell that this is NOT the original version. Philip K. Dick, however, would probably belch a dark laugh at the irony.
on June 25, 2011
This book is NOT "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Phillip K. Dick. This book is an ADAPTATION of Phillip K. Dick's classic for younger or less skilled readers. The product description is entirely misleading and I was under the impression that I was purchasing "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Phillip K. Dick, NOT a dumbed down re-write. I can only give one star until Amazon or the publisher correct this wholly misleading product description.
on March 29, 2010
I couldn't tell that this book was an abridgement of the actual novel. Do not waste your time reading this tinytown version. Looks like the novel is out of print.
on January 31, 2012
I bought this book for a class. It turns out this is an abridged version. Unfortunately I didn't notice until my class started, at which point it was too late to return it. The fact that this is an abridged version is NOT made clear in the description. Amazon needs to make this perfectly clear to its customers. I am not happy about losing my money is this way.
on July 8, 2011
I was disappointed to realize this is an adaptation of the original novel, not the Philip K. Dick version. Having never read the novel I had no idea there was anything available other than the original version.

Amazon should make this clear in the title.
on February 28, 2012
This book is not the actual, original novel, it is rewritten for children, Amazon should have made that more clear.
on June 3, 2012
This is an ABOMINATION! Why would anyone feel the need to abridge a book that is very short and written for 13 year old boys? What possible audience could this be targeted for?

Do Androids is one of the greatest American novels, DO NOT subject yourself to this atrocity. You can get the real book in the "Four Novels of the 60s" volume; hopefully they will put it back in print by itself soon.

The people responsible for this should be ashamed of themselves.
on December 3, 2011
I can't believe that I bought this and Amazon let me believe it was the real book. It's rewritten and dumbed down. This should be labeled properly. Now it's too late to return it, because I bought it in September for a class with all my other textbooks, but it was on my syllabus for this week. Now I'm stuck buying the kindle edition I guess.

Not happy.