Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,067 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,506 reviews
on December 31, 2015
I prefer this story both as a book and the movie. Way better than the DaVinci code, which I think was written after this book. Dan Brown not my favorite writer by a long shot but this is full of twists and turns. Even though I've re-read it and seen movie a couple of times still great story.
on April 15, 2015
I did not finish the reading yet. So far, it is a very nice reading. I saw the movie based on the same book before having the chance to read it and even though I keep flipping the pages enthusiastically as Dan Brown`s writing style is smooth while keeping the story thrilling and fast paced. I am not a native English speaker and I read kindle e-books very often to practice the language. The device is really great as it's easy functionality and it`s English/Oxford dictionary helps a lot to grow fast my vocabulary. The only con of this e-book is that the version I bought from Kindle store did not allow for the text-to-speech/audible narration, a feature that is certainly very interesting when my eyes are a bit tired and a pair of earphones would allow them to rest a little without preventing me from moving ahead in this thrilling story. The audible narration feature is also a helping hand for the ones intending to learn how to pronounce the words previously unknown. I definitely recommend Dan Brown, who is an amazingly creative author/writer that makes use of a writing style that is sophisticated while accessible, his book Angels & Deamons and its Kindle version.
Have a nice, and far from boring, reading.
on September 20, 2014
I finally got around to read this. I'd give it a 3.8, but I rounded up. I believe it predates Da Vinci, but that's not clear with this ebook release. It sure seems like that. Da Vinci showed some plot savvy; this one not so much. Especially at the beginning where somehow I was reminded of Moby Dick and its detailed exposition of butchering whales and turning their blubber into lamp oil. Of course, I don't share Langdon's fascination with symbols and Church history either.
From the sci-fi POV, it's clear that Brown doesn't know much science. This is a trend, though--maybe he was responsible for starting it? I'm talking about "soft sci-fi" which nestles up to and often crosses the line into fantasy. If you're a purist, you'll stay away.
Even with his 2D characters, though, Brown spins a good yarn that lets us peek into the machinations and intrigues of the Catholic Conclave. He says all the history stuff is "true," but he said that about stuff in Da Vinci too--and was proven wrong.
You can't argue about success, though. Like with Harry Potter, readers often reward bad writing. That usually means they enjoy the novelty of the tale. I'll admit I enjoyed this one--maybe more than Da Vinci, because it has enough twists and turns to be called a mystery, or sci-fi/fantasy/mystery--a mixed bag of goodies, to be sure.
Yes, Dan Brown has written a very captivating page-turner, and yes, I read the whole darn thing. Since I am not a frequent flyer of the fictional airways, I may be over reacting, but my God... this is the most unbelievable thing I've ever read! The plot begins well, but the addition of a romantic twist between the hero and a georgeous yoga master scientist whose father has just been BRUTALLY murdered is just too much sometimes! I believe that had I experienced such a loss as Vitoria, I would most certainly have been emotionally distraught and "shagging" Mr. Langdon would have had to wait until I got my father buried! Please!

But on the bright side, Brown has done his homework!!! His knowledge of the Vatican and the related works of art and history is fantastic! It is worth the read just for the refresher course on the Vatican's impressive collections of art and historical artifacts.

All in all, it is a catchy plot.. sometimes very catchy.. and worth the time if you want a fun, fast paced read.
on September 7, 2016
Like many others, I started this series with the DaVinci Code, and after learning about Angels and Demons I tried to read it. The first time I failed and was never able to get into the story. Finally I found the time and inspiration to sit down and finish this book. I was pleasantly surprised. It is not necessary to read this book before reading the DaVinci Code since the story's are quite separate from each other, but after reading this book I was able to understand some of the comments that were said in the second book. I like the way that Landon was written, and the story progressed. I felt as if the story kept me guessing and wishing for more.
on June 8, 2015
As always, Dan Brown does not fail to entertain and keep the reader on the edge of their seat. Angels and Demons, although written first, was just as exciting as the Da Vinci code. I read this on my Kindle and I was surprised by the number of chapters - 137 - and page numbers were not synced with the paper edition. But, nevermind, the length, it was a page turner and the short chapters did make it go quickly. I read this while on vacation and it was a great way to make a 4 hour plane ride go quickly. It has been a while since I saw the movie, but I think that the movie script did not follow the book as closely as the Da Vinci Code did and there were some minor differences with the characters, but the overall plot was the same. If you are looking for an exciting book that makes you think, gives factual information that maybe you didn't know and thoroughly keeps you involved and entertained, then this is the book for you.
on November 10, 2016
I had never read any of the Robert Langdon novels before. I also had never seen any of the movies. With Inferno getting ready to come out into the movie theaters, I finally decided to read the books and view the movies as well. I really enjoyed Angels and Demons as a novel. If you are a fan of the movie, I certainly believe that you will enjoy the novel even better. I did notice that the book and movie also ended with quite a few differences. I did overall enjoy that twist at the end, I will say that I never say it coming.

I am looking forward to beginning the da vinci code now.
on January 28, 2014
This is a great suspenseful, intelligent, thriller that has been well researched by Mr Brown by going to the actual Vatican city in Rome as he does with all his Robert Langdon books, which I also highly recommend. I started with The DaVinci Code and then went on to read the others in the proper order. It doesn't really matter which order you read them in honestly because they're all their own separate adventures that don't really need you to know what happened in the previous books because Mr Brown doesn't make any reference to them in each book but believe me when I tell you if you like to read a good intelligent adventure novel and don't mind that it teaches you a little history while you read it then you'll love Angels & Demons. This is the first book in the Robert Langdon novels and has to do with religious scholar history and symbology throughout but now in a boring way at all I assure you. It sets a pretty good pace in the storytelling so you don't feel like you're struggling to get through the book. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. The next book is the DaVinci Code then The Lost Symbol and finally his newest book which was released in 2013, Inferno. All great books and all very well researched. A lot of people like to go to the different countries mentioned in these books and see the actual piecesbof art and landmarks mentioned in these books because they're real. Mr Brown has been there. Actually researched these things in person to give the reader a sense of realism like no author I've ever come across. He's the real deal and I think any intelligent reader would love his robert Langdon series.
VINE VOICEon February 2, 2004
Dan Brown, author of the humongously successful "Da Vinci Code," scores well with this story written before his international best seller
Incredibly, the entire 500+ pages of action occurs over a six-hour period. As in "Da Vinci," the action takes place in and around the Catholic Church -- literally. The bulk of the book involves Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon and his attractive Italian co-sleuth Vittoria Vetra racing between the Pope's office, the Vatican's secret archives, hidden Middle Age passageways, the crypt holding St. Peter's remains and various churches in Rome in an attempt beat a midnight calamity that threatens to destroy the Catholic Church at its very foundations.
The nutshell: CERN, the world's most formidable collection of physicists, has produced and contained anti-matter, that theoretical substance present at the Big Bang. Despite elaborate security, a vial of the anti-matter has been stolen by a resurgent Illuminati -- that cryptic group dating from the Middle Ages that purported to represent and defend scientific inquiry against the forces of a Church desperate to stamp out anything even remotely calling into question Rome's vision of the earth, man and their divine creation.
After waiting four centuries, the Illuminati have a chance to extract their revenge upon the Catholic Church. The vial of anti-matter will escape containment when a battery mechanism allowing its suspension turns off at midnight on the day bereaved cardinals are gathered to select a new pope. Anti-matter, when coming into contact with any matter (even air, or the sides of a container) produces an explosion so great that a pea-sized drop of the stuff could wipe out a mile square area. And, the vial has been hidden someplace in the recesses of Vatican City.
Langdon appears because his specialty -- symbology -- makes him the foremost expert in possible clues to the Illuminati plot and the hiding place of the vial. The beautiful Vetra appears because she was teamed with her father in the production of anti-matter at CERN -- her father being a catholic priest/physicist who was attempting to prove the existence of Genesis with his work (he adopted her when she was an orphan).
Breathless describes this novel. The entire story, except for Langdon's educational lectures on the Illuminati, various aspects of Vatican lore, and Middle Age Italian artists and architecture, takes place between the time most allow for dinner to follow lunch. The action never stops -- it is ceaseless.
It is also very entertaining. Anyone attracted to history, secret societies, church politics past and present and a whiff of physics as backdrop to a ripping good yarn will appreciate this book.
on January 13, 2004
I loved The DaVinci Code, so I had to pick up Angels and Demons. What a surprise to find this one is even better than its ultra-popular sibling!
When I was privileged to sing for the Pope outside St. Peter's Basilica, I had the strange thought that the Piazza di San Pietro would be the perfect scene for a taut thriller involving a mass assassination or something like that. I envisioned a Tom Clancy-esque plot, with the hero coming in to save the world from destruction at the last second.
Here Dan Brown has taken a similar idea but with an unlikely hero, the scholarly symboligist Robert Langdon, who also appears in DaVinci Code. A noted physicist who was renowned for his work linking the world of science with the world of God is brutally murdered, and all signs point to the Illuminati, a secret society created by the likes of Galileo, a society thought to be long dead. Along with the physicist's daughter, Langdon must solve a series of bizarre clues to save the Catholic Church from complete devastation.
Those familiar with Rome will find themselves looking for the clues in their travel albums or the recesses of their minds and will be astonished to find them there. Like The DaVinci Code, the reader sometimes blurs the line between fact and fiction and is left wondering "What if?"
If I could give this book 6 stars, I would. I cannot remember when I last read a book I enjoyed so thoroughly. If you like your thrillers tautly written and impeccably researched, you owe it to yourself to read Angels & Demons. Really.