Angels With Dirty Faces
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1938, with newsreel, musical short "Out Where the Stars Begin," cartoon "Porky and Daffy," and theatrical trailers
- New featurette: "Angels with Dirty Faces: Whaddya Hear? Whaddya Say?"
- Audio-only bonus: radio production with film's two stars
Top Customer Reviews
But it is Curtiz' direction that runs the show. Curtiz moves seamlessly from the crowded streets, to the claustrophobic tenements, to the glitzy gambling joints. And his mastery of shadow and light cannot be overstated, as historian Dana Polan points out in his insightful commentary.
All these elements combine to create a great movie, and not just a great gangster movie. The complex relationships between Rocky Sullivan, the kids, and Fadda Jerry (O'Brien)--and the astounding ending to the film--make it as poignant and widely-appealing as any other movie of its time or any other time.
James Cagney is "Rocky" Sullivan, who as a kid was driven to a life of crime by an arrest. Cagney gives what some consider his definitive gangster performance, which was awarded by the New York Film Critics as best actor, but was not awarded by the academy. Pat O'Brien is his childhood friend Jerry Connolly, who is now a priest. He is concerned with Sullivan's involvement on a group of kids, believing that he is influencing them in a life of crime. He vows to fight organized crime, even if that means crushing his friend.
Before he was a major star, Humphrey Bogart was a supporting player who made a major impact. In here, he plays Sullivan's lawyer, who tries to knock off Rocky after his release from prison. There is also Ann Sheridan as Laury, a love interest to Sullivan, and there are also the Dead End Kids (Led by Billy Halop as "Soapy").
I will make this short and sweet. You must see this movie. If you want more, you must own this movie. Thank You.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
If you're a fan of classic films, the first thing that will amaze you is seeing young versions of James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, Humphrey Bogart and lovely Ann Sheridan. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Jack E. Levic
One of my all time favorite gangster movie! The ending is amazing. Must see!!!Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Animation
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Sports
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Musicals & Performing Arts