Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 312 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 546 reviews
on October 23, 2016
Addictive, compelling, one of the best books I’ve ever read. Kept me up at night reading. This is the second book of the “Cemetery of Forgotten Books” series.

**SPOILER ALERT**

How much is real vs. what is all a product of David Martin’s tortured mind is up to the reader to decide. This is part of the magic and fun of the book. Compare the scene on p.106 with Cristina displaying the photo of a young girl holding the hand of a man, walking on the beach. She finds it in her father’s possessions after he passes, and she says to Martin: “I don’t know. I don’t remember that place or that day. I’m not even sure that man is my father. It’s as if the moment never existed…” Then, go to the end of the book on p. 529 where Corelli says he is punishing David with bringing Cristina back to him as a child. The moment comes full circle!

David is introduced to The Cemetery of Forgotten Books and “Lux Aeterna,” by D.M. draws him in. When he begins reading, he realizes that the mysterious mansion he’s been renting was also the former house of “D.M.,” and that very likely he typed it using the same typewriter that David had recently been using. Creepy!

There are too many story lines and characters for everything to just be in David’s head, I think. But, what about all the deaths – his previous publishers; Pedro; and Cristina? Did David do it? If it is all in his head, how do you explain what happened to the previous occupant, “D.M.,” and all of those interwoven stories?

A story of a madman or a story of man who made a deal with the devil? I don’t know. It’s beautifully complicated. I’m halfway through “The Prisoner of Heaven,” the third installment. Maybe I will know more by tomorrow night!
on November 14, 2016
The Cemetery of Forgotten Books trilogy written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon has been my favorite find of 2016. The stories are riviting, the characters are complex and engaging, and his wrtiting style has a classical poetic lyricism to it. I flew The Prisoner of Heaven, The Angel's Game, and The Shadow of the Wind in record time. The stories aren't dependant on one another so you can start them in any order and the only real cohesion between them are the visits to characters that we know or know of and their connections to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a bibliophiles fantasy of a secret underground library containing thousands of the rarest books that have ever existed, looked after by a robed victorian figure who walks its sacred halls by lantern light.
on December 31, 2015
I loved the witty sarcasm of the characters, the winding and mysterious plot, and the supernatural (or not?) elements of the story. What a delicious tale! Most of the people who gave this book one star did not read it to the end, which is a shame because the whole plot comes together at the end. Right after reading The Angel's Game, I started reading The Prisoner of Heaven (I am currently on page 126) and with reading this book I appreciate The Angel's Game even more. Zafon's story is like good wine, it gets better as it ages and you can discern all the different flavors embedded within. Fantastic trilogy!
on April 1, 2017
Love can make one do many things; two being protection and devotion beyond acceptance. The first part of the story bringing back a visit to "The Cemetery of the Forgotten Book" and the description, I could imagine myself there. The main character seems to get lost after that due to not making good choices until it is almost too late. Didn't really understand the ending. However, I recommend the story then you can make up your own mind. Read book 1 first.
on February 5, 2015
At some point I think I began to understand what was happening in this book. I'm not sure when the message clicked, but I do know that not everyone will pick up on it. That feeling stayed with me all the way through the last sentence, when I felt the strangest sensation, something like holding up a mirror to a mirror and wishing I was looking at something else but knowing full well that the endless reflection is exactly what I should have expected from David Martin. I know that doesn't seem to make any sense if you haven't read this book. That's fine. If you read it, you might understand what I'm talking about.

Anyone interested in supernatural mysteries (oddly, in general I don't fall into that category) should read this and Zafon's other Cemetery books, without hesitation.
on April 9, 2016
A story of love, loss, tragedy, and revenge that can rival Duma’s Count of Monte Cristo. This story will take you on a roller coaster ride and leave you exhausted when you close the book. It is not a story for the faint of heart, but I would recommend it for anyone over the age of 18.
on August 21, 2017
Zafon is my new favorite author. Like Neil Gaiman, the vast capacity for imagination meets articulation, the clear rendering of the impossible as highly probable. Mystery, horror, fantasy, and character all rolled up and streched out.

My only thought beyond praise is that the Epilogue could have been another two books. But I suppose that's good all the same because I need to go to bed.
on September 25, 2015
I love this authors writing. Reading the words he puts on the page are as delightful as ice cream. So descriptive that you feel like you are in the story. Talk about twists and turns and surprises. But they don't feel contrived. I can see the characters and all the surroundings. It made me want to back to Barcelona and find all the streets mentioned in the book. And if you loves books you will also appreciate the adoration of books that are woven throughout the story. A great read.
on March 11, 2017
Absolutely love his writing. I feel every breath and see every color. Can't wait to start the next one. Barcelona comes alive in mid 20th century- dark and foreboding as it was in that time. The characters are like some kind of macabre cast from a Poe poem. The whole story reads like it really happened yet when you try to summarize what it is about,it is remarkably fairytale-like
on September 6, 2012
Like most people, I picked this up after being totally blown away by 'Shadow of the Wind'. I was under the mistaken impression that this novel was a sequel, but its actually a prequel. Either way, the novel is excellent. Comparing it to Shadow is impossible, as this is a much different type of book. But Zafon's writing style is still as compelling and hard hitting as usual. In contrast with Shadow, this book has much more supernatural and unexplained phenomena, so don't expect the end to be wrapped up in a nice neat little package, I had to end up reading the end twice to really get it. Any book like this is going to be open to interpretation, and I think you can drawn different conclusions of the storyline than perhaps someone else would. I must admit that I was a bit surprised at the body count, this is where the book takes a sharp turn from Shadow in my opinion. Shadow had just as many murders as a murder mystery needs to keep the reader interested, and to make the ending vengeful and satisfying. I felt in Angels, the shear body count near the end was unnecessary. This didn't take away from the story, I just felt it was a bit heavy on the killing. I think if you like Shadow, you will enjoy Angels at least as much.