Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(1 star). See all 67 reviews
on August 5, 2016
I applaud the author for her strength. Who wouldn't? In terms of technical writing, there are many structural and grammatical errors, in addition to an inconsistent narrative and imbalanced story. More time is spent bemoaning a flawed health care system for those with no insurance than there is an attention to the people behind the tale. And I am not attacking anyone who cannot afford health care (I've been there), but this woman takes on a solo hike, increasing her odds of injury and never considered even a temporary policy like travelers insurance? Seems irresponsible. She brags often about her world travels, so I have to wonder why that money was not invested in practicalities like insurance. This creates an undue hardship for her son (which again is inconsistent in that at one point she indicates her son will at least inherit a house if she passes and later admits she almost lost the house because of debt. So the son was going to inherit a mortgage it sounds like). I'm sorry, but as an adult I cannot help but think she spends thousands on travel, yet has no life insurance, no financial stability, and no health care coverage. She's incredibly lucky...a luck many Americans do not have.
I was absolutely blown away that her only thoughts of her son (as she believed she lay dying) were regret that he might not miss her. I have to be honest, I'd be grief stricken at the thought that I'd miss my son grow up, have a life....yet she never mentions this. She worries that he might not miss her, but not that she will miss his life. It seemed an odd focus for a parent. She never describes his reaction, concerns, fears. At one point the author casually mentions that he ran away during her recovery, but never explores his pain or role in her life.
Finally, at the end, as she's describing her horrible debts, she also mentions how she treated herself to sushi daily. Again...in one hand she seems to delegate herself as a financial victim of poverty while simultaneously describing fiscal immaturity.
The last part of the book is formatted as a list for survivors which seems to repeat everything said before while dampening any import in cliche and sophomoric narrative...the style is flowery and incomplete. Instead of hearing how evolved she has become, I would have likes to have heard how she intends to pay it forward, as it were. Did she express thanks to the many who sacrificed for her? Does she plan on helping people in the future with similar injuries? It seems this book is paced thus: me. I am cool and travel and I am enlightened yet not really financially responsible or engaged in my son. Me. I wish I had a boyfriend. Me. I'm a survivor and very tough! Me. Look how much so many have done for me. Me. I cannot pay the bill. Me. Look! Now someone else will! Me! Now I'm more enlightened."
I'd say save your money for a better "survival fiction." I cannot help but note that anyone who praises this book does not mention style, semantics, grammar, editing, or depth.
on March 3, 2014
A small portion of this book is okay. Very small. The author is quite self-centered. On the few occasions she mentions her son, she always puts him somewhere down the line, behind her cat. She has no medical insurance because she cant afford it, especially since it would interfere with her world travels. She complained about her hospital stay and her mounting medical bills with "oh woe is me, what am I to do?" Her friends donated their time and money to care for her every need in recovery (oh by the way, she booked a hiking trip over seas before she fully recovered). The state of California ended up paying some $285,000.00 of her medical bills. I guess she felt entitled since she complained that she was turned down the first and second times she applied before being given the money on the third attempt. Meaning the people of California who work and pay insurance premiums and can't travel the world forked out the cash. This infuriates me. I pay over $1100.00 a month just for health insurance on my wife and I bet the author got better health care than my insurance provides. On top of this, the book was tedious, repetitive, and way too long. If you want to read about folks who endure and overcome, why not read about our war Veterans that are coming home. As the saying goes, "all gave some, some gave all" so folks like the author can hike about freely with free medical care if she needs it.
on September 8, 2008
I bought this book as a christian, expecting an amazing story of the greatness and inspiration of God. Although, the ordeal of the writer was tragic and compelling, it does not credit traditional Christian doctrine.

I would not recommend this book to Christians seeking an inspirational read.
33 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse