Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,264 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,543 reviews
on June 15, 2013
Ok, I know I'm a little old to be playing this, but at 65 and all that is going on this country let alone the world, I can honestly say it is a great escape. It's simple, cute, fun, and creative. I have been a gaming grandma since 1981 when I was introduced to a computer game called Zork created at MIT, I believe. That game got me hooked on computers and games in general and since then with the birth of 4 grandchildren that I could introduce games too, it's been quite a ride. When I first played Animal Crossing "Wild World" I got hooked. I'm not a "shoot 'em up" gamer. I like adventure games and this game offers me that playful time of creating a town, meeting nice critters, build houses, bank "bells", and just have a fun moment where the arthritis doesn't hurt, the world is a better place and I can just be retired. As for children playing this game, they will come to understand that work has it's rewards, paying your bills brings you a better house, gardening makes your world prettier, sharing your finds with the museum in town is community service. It's just an all around feel good game for all ages. Another little caveat is I am playing it on my new 3D DS. Enjoy!!!
4646 comments| 1,029 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2014
I was thinking of giving it 4 stars because it eventually does get boring, but that's unfair, because that happens to just about every game. They end. The cool thing about New Leaf getting boring is, a few months or years later, you'll suddenly become interested again and pick it up to play as though it's new.

The improvements from Wild World are so much greater. Customization is made simpler, variety is greater, graphics hit it out of the ballpark. It's a cute time-killer game that you can manage with a few times a week, half hour a day, or hours and hours if you feel like it. One thing I do miss is all the music from the previous game though. Wish it would play on special days or Sundays or something.

Edit: When did I first write this review? It's like I said, it's been two or so years since I bought the game. I stopped playing for many months, but two weeks ago I jumped back in and I'm having fun again.
on July 14, 2015
If you find yourself enjoying games in small increments as opposed to hours-long marathons, or if you only have so much time to devote to gaming each day, then Animal Crossing is the series for you. New Leaf is the most recent entry into the now nearly twenty year old series, and features the largest amount of items and activities for you to enjoy. The game shines in its multiplayer capabilities, where two to four players from different towns can play together locally or over the internet. Unlike previous installments where visiting another player's town was either only possible in single player or disabled many of the game's features, New Leaf allows you to do almost anything you could do in single player with your friends. There's also an island that players can visit alone or in a group to play various mini-games and earn rare items. The Flea Market allows players to sell their items to visiting players, a feature that was present in the original Animal Crossing but not Wild World or other more recent titles. This allows for trade without the risk of another player running off with your items or money. Items can also be sold NPC residents. The game also features more home upgrades than previous titles, and more varieties of displayable items. There is also ample in-game storage, so your home won't become a cluttered mess of furniture or rare items that you're struggling to find space for.
on January 28, 2015
Animal Crossing! This game series does not release new titles extremely often, the last one, City Folk, came out back in 2008 for the Wii, and the last handheld title, Wild World, came out back in '05. So this new updated version for the 3DS is kind of a big deal of some people. The graphics are obviously improved over Wild World, and are slightly lower resolution than City Folk. They look really good, and almost the entire game can be played in 3D. The gameplay is similar to the last games, with a few changes, such as the addition of an island to play with friends on, a new main street that has most of your shops on it, and of course a huge number of new items and clothing options. They also added much more detailed exterior customization for your home, which was lacking in the previous titles. The game is often joked about being a debt simulator, which isn't untrue, due to having to make payments on your home if you wish to expand it. But It gives you something to work towards, which gives the game a nice solid goal. There are a huge number of events that go on inside the game, such as fishing tournaments, holiday activities, and birthdays. Some of the villagers from previous games have returned, but there are also additions that will keep the game fresh for longtime players. All in all, I think this is a fantastic addition to the Animal Crossing lineup, and will get many more hours of game play from me before it's successor is released. I would highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a fun, laid-back game.
on March 9, 2014
When I first heard about it, I thought it would be so boring and childish. Who knew I would find it so hard to put down and even challenging for this adult! You get to pick the land mass you want and where you want the courthouse and main shopping center. Then you pick the location of your house and what your name will be. You get to name the town. Then comes the furniture, wallpaper, carpet even art and special accessories like sports equipment, farm equipment, crafting equipment. There is tons of fishing, diving and bug collecting. So many varieties that you it could take you years to find them all. Then you put them in your museum so you can watch them swim, fly or crawl around. You also get to dig for fossils and buy art for the museum. You can also keep them in your house along with plants you find. You can grow plants anywhere. There is an endless wardrobe for every season and every style. Later on, you can get any kind of haircut with any color you can imagine. You can write letters to each other or the other characters and receive letters. You can choose what kind of house you want and how many rooms. Then you can decorate your town with tourist attractions like pyramid, Stonehenge and a light tower. You can play mayor. There are holiday celebrations and challenges. You can bring others into town and visit other towns if they have internet and a 3ds player. Hard to put it down! WOW! I'm the adult and I played it more then my kids did!
on January 25, 2014
I am a 46 year old female. I love handheld video games. I can honestly say this is 5 stars all the way! It is fun! The graphics are more than excellent. I enjoy the sound. If you use headphones, the sound is 10 times better even. The nice thing is that you can play for 10 minutes or 5 hours :) You just save the game. You don't have to go to it every day. You can play it one day and then pick it up 3 days later and everything is the same. I love it because you are basically building up your own town. You can buy furniture and clothes, expand your house, do community projects, find hidden treasures, fish, swim, sell, collect things, visit other people's towns who have the same game.etc. I won't give too much away, but there is a ton to do. One thing I want to note. New stuff is added all the time! You will constantly find new things you didn't know about. This is the fun part! Every day you will find new things to do, new things happening, and more choices. Your choices keep getting bigger and better. Again, don't want to give anything away. Just realize it gets better and better the longer you play. I would say this is for ages 10 and up. If you are looking for a relaxing, fun, cute game that you get to make your own, buy it!
on September 15, 2015
For original Animal Crossing lovers, this game will NOT disappoint! It brings in elements from the old Animal Crossing and reminds us why we fell in love in the first place. There are more things than ever to do and experience. It's still a slow paced game - if you're looking for something shocking and action packed, this is not a game for you. This is mostly for relaxation and enjoyment for the simple things, which is why I love it so very much. For new players, it's bound to surprise you as a game that brings entirely new elements to DS gaming and games in general. It just has a different point it tries to make - each day brings with it new surprises and things to do! Enjoy each one!

You get to be mayor in this version. Townspeople will ask the world of you, and there's a lot of things to oversee in your duties. You essentially control the town and how it works, which is completely different from the original. I enjoy the island the most, and the mini games you can play on it. I also enjoy interacting with other characters and seeing their homes in the Happy Home Academy.The best thing about this game is that it took the ideas of the original and expanded upon them greatly. For instance, the Happy Home Academy is now a physical organization that you can talk to about your home, and you can receive updates as much as you'd like about your points and others homes. You can build your home bigger than ever, and there are hundreds of bugs, fish, and sea life to catch! And you can keep track of it all in your Encylepedia.

I really adore this game and I would recommend it to just about anyone. There's something in it for everyone, especially if you love this type of cute animation and presentation. Nintendo did a fantastic job paying homage to the original without leaving much to be desired in the newer release.
on November 8, 2013
Animal Crossing New Leaf. Where do I even begin? Well first, let me talk about the hype behind this game. Pretty much ever since the 3DS came out, I heard tale of a new Animal Crossing game for the 3DS. I’ve been a longtime fan of Animal Crossing (ever since middle school), and I played Wild World to death. I eventually bought a 3DS just so that I could play New Leaf. As it turns out, the release date was constantly pushed back, and it felt that I would never be able to play the game. However, as the release date drew closer, the tension began to rise. Nintendo kept posting videos about the game, which made me want to play it even more. Finally the game released and my copy was shipped to me. I literally could not sit still while I waited for my package to arrive. I checked the tracking info every few hours just to see if it was any closer. When it finally arrived, I was ecstatic. I furiously played through the game for the first few weeks after that, and I still play it to this day.
Usually when I review a game, I make sure I completely finish the game (or get as far as I can in the game) before doing so, however this game doesn’t really have an “end,” and since it’s been almost two months since the game was released, I think it’s high time that I do my review.

Story
In New Leaf, you play as a young person moving to a new town. What you don’t realize is that when you arrive there, the anthropomorphic citizens think that you’re their mayor. The plucky secretary won’t take no for an answer, and you very shortly begin life as the mayor of this small town full of animals. You don’t even have a house, but luckily real estate tycoon Tom Nook agrees to build you a house that you can pay off at your leisure. Before the house can be built, you have to live in a tent while you complete your mayoral duties. After that, you can build expansions to your house after you pay off your loan, and you can work your way up to a huge mansion. Along the way, you can decorate the inside of your house with hundreds of different pieces of furniture ranging from the familiar to the exotic.
The characters in your town are all different kinds of animals, yet they all act very much like people. It’s often funny to read their dialogue and see just how normal they can be, despite being frogs, rabbits, ducks, alligators, etc. There are so many different possible villagers, and it’s exciting to see someone move in, because you never know what kind of interesting character you’ll get next.

Gameplay
However, this much is very similar to past Animal Crossing games. What sets New Leaf apart is your role as the mayor. As such, you can shape the town to your liking, building decorations and much more. You can enact one of four Ordinances (such as the Night Owl ordinance, which allows your shops to stay open later), to shape how you interact with your town. You can also build Public Works Projects, which can range from benches, fountains, and street lamps, to new buildings, and remodeling existing structures. Of course, you’ll mainly be paying for these yourself, and as such you’ll have to collect upwards of 50,000 Bells (the game’s currency) to pay these off. Some projects cost almost 200,000 Bells, and take a while to pay off.
To make money in New Leaf, you can sell a variety of things you find around town. You can sell fruit, which is more valuable if it’s not native to your town, fish, which you can catch in the rivers and ocean, bugs, which you catch with a net, and much more. There are loads of ways to make money, and you’ll be spending a lot of time doing so.
One of the best ways to make money in New Leaf is by going to the Island, a new feature which opens up in your first week of playing. It costs 1,000 Bells to go to the Island, but once there you can catch all sorts of exotic fish and bugs, as well as find Island-exclusive fruit. You can also go on “tours,” which are fun minigames that let you compete for medals, which you can exchange for exclusive items and furniture. You can also use a feature called “Club Tortimer” to connect to random players via Wi-Fi and play minigames with them. One thing I have to say, though, is that the island is rather over-powered, in that you make way more money from the island than you can in your town, so most players will spend almost their entire time on the island.
When you’re not catching expensive beetles, you can visit the many shops on your Main Street. Returning are series-staples, such as the Nook Convenience store (run by Nook’s nephews, Timmy and Tommy) and the Able Sisters tailor shop, where you can purchase new shirts, pants, and headgear to customize your character. As you progress through the game, however, new shops will start to open up, including a garden shop and a shoe store. What I like about all these places is that they take a while to open up. Many won’t even open until a month or so after you’ve played through the game, so it rewards you for sticking with the game, and makes sure you don’t rush through the game in a week and move on to something else. Also, many of the shops expand, so you’ll get lots of improvements to the shops that appear in your town.
You can also connect to others via StreetPass, and their house will appear in your Happy Home Association Showcase, where you can go through a copy of their house and order any of the furniture you see there. Also, once a place called the Dream Suite opens up, you can generate a Dream Code, which allows anyone to access a copy of your town in their own game. They can run through the town, cut down your trees, or anything they want, and it’ll reset once they leave. It’s a good way to let anyone see your town without actually opening your gates to them. Of course, you can always do good old-fashioned multiplayer, and have your friends visit your town via local wireless or Wi-Fi. I’ve noticed that the game BSoD’s you a lot less on Wi-Fi than Wild World did (although it does pay to save frequently). One interesting feature is it lets you register “best friends,” and only open your town to your “best friends.” Plus, the game will show you when your best friends are online, and you can send them instant messages via Wi-Fi. It’s not super sophisticated, but it does make it much easier to see who’s online and say “Hey, wanna visit my town?”
One problem I had was that there’s no way to know where a villager is going to move in until right before they do so. In previous games, there were signs around town that marked where potential houses could be, however there aren’t any signs in New Leaf, so one day someone could build a house right on top of one of your exotic fruit trees. This can be really annoying, and it really shouldn’t be a thing at all.

Presentation
Animal Crossing games have always been relaxing and fun to look at, and New Leaf is no different. The characters are much taller than in past AC games, and it makes a lot more sense. The game also looks really good in 3D, although I can really only play in 3D for a little while before it hurts my eyes. The textures seem a lot different than before. They often look rather shiny, yet a bit fuzzy. It’s really hard to describe, but once you play the game it makes sense. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, just something I’ve noticed.
The music is pretty decent, but it doesn’t really stand out, with the exception of one or two songs. I can’t say I like it as much as Wild World music. The nighttime music is especially calming, and I often find myself about to nod off as I play the game.

TL;DR
Animal Crossing New Leaf is an adorable game, and it’s an absolute delight to play. It keeps you coming back every day to see all the new things, and keeps you invested long-term in its many projects. The townsfolk are funny and adorable, and you’ll be sad when your favorite villager moves out. Basically, it’s worth all the hype, and if you’re an Animal Crossing fan, you owe it to yourself to get this game. Even if you’re not, you’ll probably fall in love with the game. It’s most definitely the 3DS’s killer app.

Pros:
- Lots of features
- Great pacing
- Something to do every day
- Expansive customization
- Great multiplayer features

Cons:
- The Island is a bit unbalanced
- No way to tell where villagers will move in
- Music is nothing special

Final Score: 9.5/10
on July 2, 2013
Animal Crossing: New Leaf doesn't have much of a story. Similar to the previous installments, you arrive in town via train. You can pick the name and design of your town before you arrive. When you arrive, you are given the title of Mayor - a title which has an impact on your town later in the game. Then, you get to pick the location of your home - and you actually get to pick the exact location this time. After the introduction, you're free to do what you want. You can fish, catch bugs, dig up fossils or treasures, converse with your neighbors, take part in town events, play actual minigames with friends or by yourself, design your home with furniture, and even expand the size of your home! (There is much more to do, by the way.)

The objective of the game is to enjoy yourself, and you'll likely find joy in the simplistic gameplay as I did. The game is easy to pick-up-and-play for all ages, the control scheme is very simple to memorize and master. The game is perfect for the 3DS as you can now save anywhere and anytime you want. The very pleasing graphics and the peaceful soundtrack compliment each other to create a relaxing experience overall. Along with the gameplay, graphics, and soundtrack, the game expands the more you play, which further immerses you into your little town; as Mayor, you can customize the town in many unique and innovative ways, like adding bridges to your river or customized signs, and much more; of course, this takes a while as it costs money to customize your town, but it adds variety.

Overall, Animal Crossing: New Leaf is a simple, fun, and relaxing video game; a great update for this fantastic series adding much more variety; this variety, in turn, may keep you coming back daily. I highly recommend for fans of the series and gamers looking for something simple and peaceful.
on July 7, 2014
I play this game every single day in the morning when I wake up, in the afternoon when I get off work, and in the evening before I go to bed. It's the perfect game for casual play, and I love it to pieces. It's not the kind of game you sit down and play all day, because there's only so much you can do in your town every day, but since there are a few important things to do every day that only take a little while, you get a nice long time to enjoy your game instead of burning out on it.

Some things I like about New Leaf:

-Better graphics than previous games
-More options for clothes, so you have a wider range of customization when picking out your outfits
-Menu system makes more sense than previous DS games.
-Same charming characters from all the old games, plus a whole bunch of new ones
-Did I mention better graphics yet?
-Graphics designed to be able to be played in full 3D mode, unlike other games like Pokemon Y that only have 3D graphics in a few select locations. It can still be played on a 2DS, though, for all those players who want to play on a less expensive console.
-Dreams! You can visit the towns of other players, even when they're offline, with the Dream Suite, and other players can visit your town as well! Players can't vandalize towns, though, which makes it a safer alternative to inviting guests in.
-Reese is adorable
-Graphics are amazing!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.