Shop now Start your Baby Registry Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO

on June 7, 2017
OH MY GOODNESS...This is one FANTASTIC resource!!! My daughter wanted to get an animal encyclopedia for her 10yo friend's birthday gift. I researched like crazy for the perfect book and found it in this book. The FANTASTIC price made a $50 book fall into my "Friend" gift-budget. My issue with the book is that all of that awesomeness and crazy detail made it a HUGE IMPRESSIVELY book. It is definitely NOT a "tote it around and bring it into the car for long trips" kind of book. It is HUGE and would require half of the backseat to open it up!! So...I kept this AMAZING book for MY family (and plan to tell the friend's mom that she MUST get this book!) and bought the American Museum of Natural History's Animal Life book for her friend. That book is smaller and more portable, with nice photography and detail.

THIS BOOK has everything...any animal that my kids can think of is in this book. Maps (for some but not all animals), amazing detail, great photography, a great layout. It will get TONS of use throughout the years! I cannot stop looking at it.
2 people found this helpful
on August 25, 2017
We love this book and the other Smithsonian books from DK. My kids have spent hundred of hours in the book. It has great images, which keeps the kids interested. It also has great information. There is a good balance providing enough information without getting so deep that the reader might lose interest.

The book is organized by species and family group. It will give a short section for each animal with text, maps, and photos.

The only reason I subtract one star is that the binding and cover are falling apart. We have used this book heavily for about four years. We will probably buy a replacement soon.
on May 1, 2017
Our grandson, who is fascinated with animals, LOVES this book! He is 8 years old. He is able to read this easily, but REALLY enjoys the amazing pictures!! This was a great deal as well. What a Value for the price!
2 people found this helpful
on January 11, 2017
This book will make you believe in encyclopedias again! It is stunning. First had it from the library but quickly realized our family needed to own it. My son the animal-lover can find info about any and all animals he hears about. The only downside is the heft and weight, but that it also what makes it such a regal book =) Would be an excellent gift to anyone.

Note - The first copy rec'd had some of the pages not cut all the way, but easily and quickly rec'd the replacement, which did not have that defect.
on October 6, 2017
This book has great visual appeal and a lot of information. I found it even held up to a cover-to-cover reading. It is quite large, meaning that it is not exactly ideal for bookshelves. But I have found that whenever the book is laying around it is always picked up and enthusiastically examined by both children and adults alike.
on March 1, 2016
I was looking for an animal encyclopedia for my 7 year old daughter. All of the kids animal books lacked substance and were far from comprehensive. She loves this book. She is continually amazed at all the different types of a particular animal. The text help stretch her reading skills and the pictures are beautiful. The best thing is this book will last her in to high school and beyond. I would hesitate to recommend this for any one, young or otherwise.
VINE VOICEon August 3, 2015
Absolutely fantastic book about Animals, tons of photos, and a very comprehensive guide to all the animals of the world, from mammals to birds, insects, lower invertebrates, as well as other information related to the animal kingdom such as habitat, reproduction, and more. A great coffee-table book for any home and perfect gift for any animal lover or zoologist in the making.
on April 25, 2014
We purchased this book to learn more about animals. We play a game called "Rabbit" where one person says the name of an animal and the other person has to name an animal that begins with the same first letter. We were running out of animals so got this book to learn more animals. The photos are fantastic. Also, this book was way cheaper on Amazon compared to going to the Barnes and Noble store.
on February 3, 2014
Yes, this book was everything we expected it to be. We had purchased one for our grandson about 4 years ago and my parents have enjoyed it so much we purchased this copy for them. My son loaned my grandson's copy to his teacher last year because the children in her class were doing reports on different animals. She said they fought over who got to look at the book. My son bought her a copy as an end of the year gift and she too was thrilled with it.
on March 13, 2012
I did heard about the size and weight of this book, but even so i'm amazed.

The good

-an incredible amount of animal reference in just one book.
-the quality of the material being the photos, the information...all.
-the price, i don't know how this book can cost only $30, i showed to my mother and ask her to guess about the price...she said $500 (she is not ill or anything, maybe she is not up to day about prices or bokks)....my father said $80. They almost laughed when i said $30.

so you have....quantity (huge) & quality...for a bargain price.

Not much to think about it:

if you are interested in the topic,
you have place in the bookshell for this baby,
and you have 30 dollars

guest what?

Cheers

Update 20-03-2012

From all my books, this one is by far, far, far....the better in terms of price/value. What you get here for $30 just don't have relation with the real world market.
10 people found this helpful