Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Happy Feet (Widescreen Edition) forum

Animated films for children?.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 3, 2007, 10:04:58 PM PDT
I actually disagree that Disney films were made for children. Today, to see Bambi's mother being killed --well, suggested, since we never see it, which makes it more powerful-- would be inadmissible, as well as when Dumbo's mother is jailed, and Dumbo himself gets drunk and sees "Pink Elephants". Fantasia wasn't made for children either.. but for all audiences. Later on, "all audiences" was understood "for children only". Animation, as proved by Japanese, can be for adults too. I wonder why the French animated film Renaissance wasn't shown in USA, for instance, An animated thriller for adults. In fact, I think that to constrain animation just to the child world is to box the technique. Miyazaki's films are not necessarily understood or are too violent for children, but not for teenagers or adults. So, the same there are live action films for children or adults, let's make animation a genre for everyone were directors can express their free say in either medium. I am dying to see a horror film --not necessarily for children-- in animation. And I don't mean Monster House, where I wasn't impressed at all.
To me HF is an interesting movie because the main character doesn't have an arc. Unlike many Hollywood theorists about screen writing who claim every character has to have one. Mumble is the same
through the entire movie, only curious about what is happening or enjoying himself, not buying the politics or the criticisms of anyone around him. Not saving, being a victim or criticising anyone.
He is just himself, while the others do have arcs, and change to follow Mumble. There are other characters that come to mind that are like him. Forrest Gump, or James Bond or Mr Gardener in "Being There".
HF to me, is a beautiful film to watch. It has flaws, like every film, but it's an enjoyable piece all around. It was a nice surprise over the other standard animated films out there.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Apr 3, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Happy Feet (2006)
Happy Feet (2006) by Jackman Hugh (DVD)
4.4 out of 5 stars (1,798)