Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Animosity
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Audio CD|Change

HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon February 28, 2003
I was first introduced to COC with 1994's "Deliverance" album and the only knowledge I had had of any kind of hardcore COC past was on the remastered "Blind" album. When I had heard "Technocracy" later on, I realized I had been missing out. Then not too long later, I came across COC's "Animosity" in a bargain bin, and I was so surprised when I heard the utter musical anarchy of this album. Before Pepper Keenan ever reared his head, this lineup featured Mike Dean singing and playing bass, Reed Mullin drumming and doing some lead vocals as well, and Woody Weatherman on guitar. All three churn out pure punk/thrash/hardcore metal at a frenzied pace (the album clocks in at just under half an hour long) and while Dean and Mullin's venom spewing voices are an acquired taste, "Animosity" is still one fine album. "Loss For Words", "Mad World", "Prayer", and "Kiss of Death" are personal favorites of mine, and if you can find this album I strongly suggest snatching it up.
on March 26, 2004
This was arguably THE "crossover" album of the 80s, one of the crucial slabs of vinyl(remember those?)that "brought punks and metalheads together". It seemed like metalheads heard the S.O.D. album and went right out and grabbed this along with D.R.I.'s "Dealing With It", another "crossover" classic(that word always bugged me). What you get here is basically fast Black Sabbath with a healthy dose of heavy, rhythmic Black Flag action. You can bet Lars Ulrich was listening to Reed's drumming and wondering if he(Lars) had arthritis, and I remember fanzines proclaiming this record to rival Slayer or even top them(their most recent piece at the time was "Hell Awaits", so that's definitely fair comment, and remember C.O.C. were a three piece!). Anyway, the world and the human race is thirsting and hungering for this record to come back out, remastered with bonus tracks. If the first two Cryptic Slaughter albums get that kind of treatment, the Exploited, Broken Bones for crying out loud, why not Animosity?
P.S. you know if two or three popular regional hardcore bands stole their names from C.O.C. song titles, there's something good going on here. Yeah!
on January 1, 2004
Short, sweet and simple. The lineup on this album smokes, the compositions on this album smoke, the playing on this album smokes. You should get this disc.
on March 19, 2007
I got the cassette for Christmas from my grandparents in 1987. I remember thinking, "How ironic it is that the most brutally intense hardcore album I own has been given to me by my grandparents." Oh well, it was on my list. I read about it in Thrasher a couple of months before.

Animosity was mind-blowing. Upon the first few listens, it was almost too crazy for my white, suburban 16-year old mind to handle. The guitar feedback, the way-over-the-top drumming, the distorted vocals (that a thousand bands would go on to copy in coming years) ... it was like I had discovered another country. At the time, it was all Whitesnake and Def Leppard on the radio and MTV. Even my collection of Dead Kennedys and Black Flag albums didn't hold a candle to this mayhem. And it was all done with talent to boot! I couldn't believe what I was experiencing.

And what an impression it's left on me. To this day, after I come home from work and my 10-month old starts fussing because he's hungry, the lyrics go running through my head ... "looking for answers laughed hungry child!" I mean, what does it take for a song to leave that kind of impression on you 20 years later???

Obviously I'm an old man, so this album may sound much differently to most of you reading this review. But I listened to it again recently and I've gotta' say -- it's stood the test of time for me. If you're into Mike Patton, Hatebreed, Snapcase, Fear Factory, Pelican, Mastadon, Killswitch Engage ... whatever it may be that led you here ... in my humble opinion, this is where it all began.
on May 27, 2015
I was a freshman at Ohio State way back in '86. I was open to new music, and after picking up Slayer's Reign in Blood I snagged this. Both have been with me ever since.I can't say this is groundbreaking, or anything like that... 'cause I simply don't know....all that I care about is that I like it... I like it a lot back in '86 and I like it now. The fact that I'm willing to buy it (again) some 30 years since it was originally released means either I'm a moron, or it really resonated with me...

At the end of the day... I like it a lot..and am glad I stumbled into that mystical record store on High St that one fateful afternoon... it turned out to be one hell of a good day. :)
on February 9, 2004
This album is simply a thrash powerhouse, this is one. COC along with DRI represent what crossover is all about. If you like Black Flag with a little Metallica thrown in, you would like this.
on November 25, 2009
This is an awesome effort, one of the best albums to blend hardcore punk and metal at its time. Wit this record Corrosion of Conformity took the hardcore punk influence they were drawing from the likes of some Washington DC's more manic bands like United Mutation, Void, and Malifice with the thrash metal chops of early Slayer, Sodom, and Metallica. That might not sound like the most appealing mixture of styles to the single minded metalhead and/or punks, but hardcore punk and metal have some common roots and overlaps, for better or worse, and this is one of the better ones. Its a perfect blend of both genres that a few other bands did on their albums during the mid 80s did like G.I.S.M. on "Detestation", Amebix on "Arise!", and the Cro-Mags on "Age of Quarrel". But thats neither here nor there, this album is simply essential!
on November 7, 2004
...and i tell you the truth. Simply said, this album represents the quintessence of the mid-eighties hardcore-crossover : it's raw, brutal and with meaningful and political lyrics... With its ten songs in less than thirty minutes, it was, to my opinion, the ideal hardcore counterpart of Slayer's masterpiece, "Reign in blood"... Musically, it appears to be more 'sophisticated' (I mean better produced) than their earlier album, "Eye for an eye", but don't get me wrong, "Animosity" is still a brutal one without a single compromission. Too sad this band didn't become mainstream or more popular... Believe it or not, "Animosity" is now a classic and, nearly twenty years (!) after its release, it rocks even more... They were unique! I really hope you won't pass this one...
on January 8, 2007
This is an amazing album. I strongly recommend this for any fan of speed metal. The drummer is amazing -- he adds a lot of detail to the songs which give the songs a lot of heaviness. The songs are extremely memorable and are always a pleasure to listen to.
on November 5, 2014
last of the good hardcore from this band.buy it, and the first if you love hardcore. Was before the metal crossover.