Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,749 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,802 reviews
on January 29, 2013
This card adds teriffic USB3 speeds to a computer with one caveat. If you try to operate more than one USB 3 device at a time, it will slow down significantly. If you have a USB 2 device plugged in, the entire card slows down to USB 2 speeds. If you want to run multiple USB 3 devices without any slowdown, you will need a controller card that has a separate controller chip for each channel and a PCI-E 4 or 16 port interface. An example is the RocketU Quad USB 3.0 Card. It is about 4-5 times more expensive as this card.
1212 comments| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2016
This USB expansion card uses the VIA VL805 chipset. Under Windows 10, it worked fairly consistently without me having to install any extra drivers from any manufacturer website. Under Windows 7 however, the story is rather different.

I downloaded the VIA driver from Anker's website, which by the way is identical to the driver offered on VIA-Labs Taiwanese website as what is basically a "proof" of concept driver... Anker didn't do anything to personalize this installer for their own company/branding at all. That's not that big a deal though, but the install experience was... well... it only half worked.

When I ran the installer, it installs a driver and some other piece of software to allow for faster 3.0 communication, in which case, the card begins to detect plugged devices and work, but then the installer calls for a reboot. When I allow the installer to reboot the machine, neither the card or any of it's plugged devices are detected following windows start up. Then I tried re-running the installer, which results in telling me the actual hardware is not found. So then I try to remove and reinstall, still same scenario. Searching online, I found that some other people with this particular VIA VL805 card have had similar problems, and the only way to make it work again is to actually shut off the machine, and then turn it back on.

So I shutdown, wait 5 seconds, and power/boot again. Oh look... in the device manager, there's a USB controller now with no driver installed. I run the installer yet again, and again the card and plugged devices are detected, installer calls for another reboot. This time, I cancel the reboot and do a SHUTDOWN of the PC. When I start the PC again, the device is still up and working as it should. I have since rebooted the machine a few different times without losing connectivity to this device, but I guess the important takeaway is not to let the driver installer reboot the machine.

If you lose connection to this device, a shutdown, power off, and back on again should clear that issue, but I kinda wish it just worked 100% of the time. It was cheap though, I guess you get what you pay for. I'm trying to like Anker as a manufacturer though.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 20, 2015
So far so good. I did have an issue plugging in the Molex power connector.. it just didn't want to go in. I think one of the pins was malformed so I used some needle-nose pliers to re-shape it. Minus 1/2 a star for that since it was probably a fluke.

Windows 8.1 had no problem taking care of the drivers for this.... I didn't have to install anything.

Just keep in mind that this devices uses the VIA VL805 chip which has a PCI-E 2.0 x1 (backward compatible with PCI-E 1.0) interface. PCI-E 1.0 X1 is limited to 250MB/s one way, and PCI-E v2.0 doubles that to 500MB/s. USB 3.0 supports 625MBps (5Gbps) ... so you will probably be lucky to get near the full theoretical USB 3.0 speed from just one of the ports due to the PCI-E 1x limitation... but most devices don't support that kind of speed anyway. If you need a lot of speed from multiple USB 3.0 ports simultaneously then look elsewhere... but this card is great for the vast majority of people especially given the relatively low price.

Overall 4.5 stars and rounding up to 5.
on August 23, 2014
This is an excellent and inexpensive card. It provides four USB3 ports on the back of my computer, so I bought two of them so that I could install one in two different computers. In one computer, I removed a slightly flaky two-port card in and installed this Anker card in its place. The other card had only USB2 ports, so this is the first opportunity for that computer to have USB3. Both these Windows 7 computers had no problem finding the card, then reading the drivers in from the included CD-ROM driver disk. Upon re-booting, both computers and these USB3 cards work exactly the way they're supposed to.

In addition to plugging into a PCIe port, the Anker card requires a feed from the computer's power supply. As I said, I bought two of these cards, and I needed to use the included power adapter cable to supply power to the Anker card in one computer. In the second computer, it already had sufficient four-pin power connectors, so I connected one to the Anker card. The card works perfectly in both computers, and it now gives me a way to read big video files into my computer using USB3 instead of much-slower USB2. I really appreciate the faster speed with these big files.

I would definitely be willing to buy this card again. It's a good value in USB3 cards.
on November 20, 2012
The card arrived quickly. My only wish is that there were instructions. The driver mini CD seemed to not have any auto start files so I had to look at the disc contents in Windows Explorer and guess which file of several executable files were the right choice. Not a big deal as setup.exe worked and was my first choice. I installed the card and then the driver. I would have installed it the day it came but I had to get a couple of power adapters. My year old Dell didn't have any of the older style power connectors that I had been use to seeing since my first computer (286-16). Really nice to have 4 usb 3.0 ports now. Super fast transfer with my newer 3.0 equipped external backup drives.

Update: I've found the driver for this card can be a bit cantankerous with certain drive configurations. It sometimes unloads the driver right in the middle of a file transfer. I have the latest driver according to the website (search Anker). I still need to try moving this to another slot and more research before I give up on it.

Update 2/2012: Erin from Laptopmate called me after reading my review to see if she could help. She was great! Sent me a brand new card that arrived in two days. This time it came in new packaging marked "Anker" and with the correct SATA to Molex connector. I installed it and everything seems to work perfectly. I have 3 various USB 3.0 drives hooked up which seem rock steady and fast... really nice. I'm totally impressed by this company's level of care and service.

Update 5/5/13: I give up! Tired of messing with it. I guess these cards or drivers just aren't compatible with my machine. The second card seemed to work reliably at first, but then became evermore unreliable just as the original had done. My drives would quit working like the driver was kicking in and out. Just can't depend on 'em that way. Tried everything I could think of such as uninstalling and reinstalling etc. with no luck. So I reinstalled an old 2 port 3.0 card I had in the first place and it's rock steady again. Darn, I really needed those extra 3.0 ports.
The enclosed instructions were generally just mechanical installation and not software installation. However, the software installation was quite easy to perform. A miniature installation disk was included. I have this connected to three Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 ProBox 4 Bay Hard Drive Enclosure with USB 3.0 & eSATA disk arrays with a USB 3.0 interface. So I have 12 HGST Deskstar 2TB 3.5-Inch CoolSpin RPM SATA III 6Gbps 32 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (0F12117) disk drives in the the Mediasonic enclosures to store all my various movies, home videos and other media with a lot of room for expansion. On the fourth USB Port I have a very useful Cirago USB 3.0/SATA II Dual Hard Drive Docking Station that isn't available on Amazon. I got it at Newegg.

So needless to say, I have a lot of disk drives connected to this 4 USB 3.0 PCI-Express card. I was pleased that they included a power cable for the power, but it was too short to use in my computer case. Fortunately I had a longer cable in my collection of spare cables. The power cable will probably suffice for a small case, but not a larger case like my Thermaltake mid-tower.

I have purchased two other dual USB 3.0 PCI cards in the past. I wish this had been available at that time. This is a good bargain at $20. I paid 50% more than this for the dual USB 3.0 circuit boards. This is the best card for the money in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong buying it - cheap and quick and easy to install plus it works!
on October 26, 2015
This is a really nice USB 3.0 4 port card. It did have a slight damaged power connector when I got it. One of the arms that plug into the card, and thus lock it in, was broken off, thus I imagine it possibly could work itself free, put using this for a desktop the type of constant movement that would require that type of disconnect, just isn't going to happen with the setup I have. This card did not actually work until I installed the driver that came with it, which actually somewhat surprised me. Win 10 I thought would either have the driver or go get it but that didn't happen, even after several reboots. The drive did install though very quickly without any issues and I have plugged in a USB A/C WiFi adapter and I am getting a very nice throughput with it. This is a very old, 9 years Gigabyte board, and I am upgrading some of the components so I can still use it.
on July 13, 2013
I wanted to add a USB 3.0 external backup drive to my PC which didn't have 3.0 connectors. I got this one after getting another brand at a local electronics store that my PC just wouldn't recognize regardless of the drivers I installed. The card installed easily into an open PCI-E port (be sure to check that you have one) and .... wasn't recognized when I loaded the included drivers. Needless to say I had fears of another false start. As with the other device, I looked for updated drivers. I went to the Anker support pages and found the device and the driver for my operating system and downloaded it. It loaded quickly and I could now see my 3.0 drive.

If you add stuff to your computer very often you've likely run into the out-of-date drive issue before. Loading updated drivers is kind of normal so I didn't drop a star on the rating. The fact that the driver worked (unlike the other brand) is good enough for me. I like my new drive and the access speed is great though this 3.0 port.
on February 24, 2013
The "Superspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E Express Card with 4 USB 3.0 Ports" card comes with a defective (or not encoded compatible) Driver CD that would not work in a Multimedia Optical Drive or a DVD-ROM drive. I did get it to work in my old computer's CD drive and copied the setup utility to a flash drive (memory stick). Once the drivers were installed, the USB card came right up. There is NO technical support as their web page displays as "Välkommen till Lars Lanker
Här är min hemsida på nätet. Jag håller just nu på att utveckla en ny hemsida, så det står inte speciellt mycket om mig här. Lite mer info hittar du på ”Relaterade länkar”
Välkommen tillbaks senare!" which translates to "Welcome to Brian Lanker, Here is my website on the net. I am currently developing a new website, so it is not very much about me here. A little more info, see the "Related links" welcome back later!" and there is no support to obtain drivers. The requested URL /support was not found on this server.
on October 2, 2012
Quit saying there are no instructions. The instruction are on the back of the box, at the bottom. Here's some help:

1. Plug the card into the motherboard, and also plug a 4-pin (Molex) power plug to the Uspeed board. The Uspeed board needs power. If you don't have a 4-pin Molex connector available from your power supply (unlikely), then you'll have to buy a Y adapter, often called a "twofer."

2. Run the provided tiny CD. If it doesn't start automatically, then go to Explorer and 2click "Setup.exe." Let things proceed to a finish, and done.

In other news, I just wanted some more USB ports, the 3.0 is a bonus for me. I don't even have any 3.0 devices. But the Uspeed card works fine with 2.0, and the wide spacing between ports is another bonus because it allows airflow to USB flash cards. Electronic devices hate heat, and love airflow that dissipates heat.

I saw some comments on the quality of construction. The board itself seems of pretty standard quality to me. As thick as any, and no more flexible than any. It's a small board so maybe it appears weak, but I don't see that it really is.

The 4-pin Molex receptacle is a plastic piece attached to a circuit board, so it obviously is not robust (nor are any). Hold the receptacle, not the board, and wiggle the connection together as gently as you can. "Gently" is not going to be very gentle because Molex plugs tend to run tight, but the idea is to hold the connector itself, try not to stress the joint between the connector and the board. This is so with all circuit board connections.

Don't plug the Molex in backward. Two corners are cut away to indicate correct plug orientation, but it's possible to force--really force--things together backward. This causes smoke.
44 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse