Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ankylosing Spondylitis: The Facts (The Facts Series)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 27, 2005
If you're looking for an AS book with the facts then this is the one.

You will find the explanations clear.

Hopefully if you are an AS sufferer this will give you some relief. It explains that it might not be as bad for you as you first thought. It details exercises that will make real difference for most sufferers.

You should get this book if you suffer from AS or want to know more about it.
VINE VOICEon February 10, 2008
Excellent book that further explains this hereditary immune disease and the genetic HLA-B27-xx chromosone that your ancestors have handed down unknowingly. Just recently researchers have also found two other chromosones that are also linked to AS. You will find that even some Rheumatologist's will misdiagnose your disease because they either don't know enough about AS themselves or they feel the "tests" are too expensive. Therefore you may suffer in unnecessary debilitating pain until you insist upon testing. Educate yourself with the most knowledgeable doctor in this field who just so happens to have AS himself.
on April 22, 2011
This is a good book to add to your research while waiting the four months it takes to get to see a rheumatologist. And at just 140 pages you might just read it in the waiting room.

It is very straight forward, albeit dry reading. It covers exercises, sleeping postures, case histories, alternative treatments, and medications from NSAIDs to TNF blockers like Embrel.

This is written by a medical doctor so naturally all alternative treatments are dismissed as having no value whatsoever.

Regarding chiropractic care, the author states that AS patients should "avoid manipulation" because these treatments have "sometimes inadvertently led to spinal fractures".

The low starch diet is discussed and is "not recommended" because it has not been "scientifically evaluated". Of course it hasn't been evaluated, and it never will be because there's no money to be made by large corporations.

Later he admits that "AS may be triggered by gut infection with Klebsiella bacteria". Given this statement I thought the low starch diet (which restricts Klebsiella) should have been given more consideration.

Despite the dishing of all alternative treatments, this book is a good resource.
on March 10, 2012
I've suffered from Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) for more than 22 years. The only relief I ever found was in taking Enbrel, but that gave me severe nerve damage after four years of use. After I had to quit that, the pain was worse than ever. I then discovered that diet played a major role in battling AS, especially in the reduction of starch. Khan recommends against any diet modification as a therapy for AS. If I had followed his advice, I would still be in horrible pain. As such, I cannot recommend this book.
on November 29, 2011
Order this book after a proable diagonosis of AS from the Rheumatologist who wasn't very helpful on the self help and management of it. I know that there can be a wide range of patient symptoms and progression of the condition and in writing a book like this it needs to target us all. I don't need drug managment but wanted to do the best I could to keep it that way. The main thing I got that was helpful for me is it was good to work on posture correction, chest expansion, flexiablity and mobility of the joints of the spine. I have since went to a pilates based physiotherapist and got a home program that I could do daily to work on theses things. I found the book informative about diagnosis and disease progression. It is less helpful on natural alternatives and diet modification. It is written by a rheumatologist who is working within his scope of practice. Probably with more understanding on it and what we would like to know because he has the condition.
on February 8, 2014
I was recently diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis, with ankylosing spondylitis being a large part of it. I had actually read an ad in the March/April 2013 copy of WebMD and internally realized that I had AS. When I went to a new rheumatologist in summer, the rheumatologist told me she didn't think I had AS; however, as our discussion progressed, she ordered a test HLA-B27 which gives an indication as to its presence. Yes, I definitely had the marker for AS. I continued to research the topic on Google, and then checked a nearby library who requested it from another library in the system. It's a small pocket sized book, and would easily fit in my handbag. Instead, I ordered the Kindle edition and had it immediately. Now, whenever I am inclined to wait at an appointment, or read at home, I just read this book on my Kindle and highlight the words that speak to me.
One of the underlying reasons for this book being valuable to me is that the author is a doctor, and he has ankylosing spondylitis; I can learn much from him.
on March 9, 2014
Written by a Doctor with no understanding of what it takes to heal or recover or live with AS or any other form of chronic pain or disease process. After outlining the disease and its process (quite informative but very depressing) he goes on to detail the current barbaric treatment methods that are clearly worse than the disease itself. He should just say that western medicine has no idea how to treat it and can only offer you drugs that will give you horrible and debilitating side effects. What is worse he totally butchers any form of complimentary therapy as nothing more than voodoo and should be avoided at all costs! What a quack! Clearly he is living in the dark ages and has never tried any of these therapies himself or he would know that they play the most important and pivotal roll for anyone living with this disease that actually wants to enjoy their life.
He says that diet plays no role whatsoever in managing AS. Sorry but it has been scientifically proven that STARCH is a critical factor and must be avoided to halt further reactive inflammatory processes. In fact the Paleo Diet has been proven to halt the progress of AS in its tracks and let the body repair some of the damage. Sure you can't cure AS but you can do a lot more than submit yourself to the torture that this Dr recommends.
on August 7, 2006
I found this book to be a huge amount of knowledge on the subject of AS. I found information that led me to new understandings of the puzzling dissorder and I learned many things that I did not know.
on January 17, 2013
This book is a fast read. I thought it was very informative and well researched. It also has great resources for support with dealing with AS
VINE VOICEon October 27, 2010
I wish they would hand this out to the rheumatologists as I've not met one that knows anything about the spondyloarthropathies.