Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,836 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,985 reviews
on December 15, 2016
Anne of Green Gables is a wonderful classic story and it gets 5 stars. This particular printing, however, is completely unacceptable. It's as if someone typed it into a document, and printed it off--no page numbers, not titled at the top of each page, the lines don't even break properly (see photo). Purchased as a gift, thankfully with enough time to purchase a better quality copy--probably for less money! A disgrace to the publishing community.
review image review image
33 comments| 213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2012
Two years ago I would have bet a bazillion dollars I would never read a "girls" book. But at 71 years of age I found myself in a house full of books only one of which I had not read. I am terrribly addicted to reading so, in desperation, I started "Anne of Green Gables". It is a marvelous book with a main character I wish I could meet every day in real life. Again to feed my addiction I bought the "Anne of Green Gables" series. Each book was a delight and I soon forgot that they were "girls" books. Maud created a character we all need in our life. She turns the mundane magical and believable. Reading them all in nearly a continous setting makes Anne "wearying" to quote Marilla since unbounded child-like wonder is hard to maintain. I wish I had read these books decades ago so Anne could have helped me through some less than happy times.
33 comments| 391 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2016
I LOVED Anne of Green Gables as a child and own the complete hard copy of the Anne series. Initially, I was delighted to find this collection of books written by one of my all time favorite authors for only $0.99 (kindle price. What a steal!) and felt I had to get the digital copy for my kindle at once. As soon as the product was delivered to my device, I began to read it since it's been years since I've visited the darling world that L.M Montgomery created.

I was very surprised to find that I kept tripping on certain sentences; the writing didn't seem as smooth as I remembered. When I got to chapter 6, I decided to compare a sentence in the digital print to my old, yellowing physical copy of Anne of Green Gables book. I realized why I had some difficulty reading my new digital copy: THERE ARE TYPOS IN THIS PRODUCT.

It contains the WORST kinds of typos. There are typos in which it results in sentences that don't make sense. There are typos with the wrong pronouns in them that make it confusing for the reader to understand which character the publisher meant to write about. I am able to follow the story because I've read Anne of Green Gables more than once with my hard copy but for new readers, these typos will make this beautiful story difficult to read and at times, understand.

I hope the digital copy can be fixed so that owners can enjoy L.M. Montgomery's work as it was meant to be enjoyed. I have given this two stars instead of one because of the fabulous price for kindle readers.
11 comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2016
This is a great deal for all these books on the Kindle! My daughter was totally hooked on the series. Just note this set is missing Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside. We had to buy those separately.
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2016
Novels written during this time tend to rely heavily on lengthy descriptions of flowers, trees, sunsets, etc. but these novels are above and beyond. You might find yourself skipping 2 or 3 pages at a time without losing any of the story line. Still, I believe the books are enjoyable other than the relentless cheerfulness. I understand that is the nature of the books but when even funerals have a bright side it's a little too much. The final book is, in my opinion, the best. WWI is a sad part of history but this was dealt with very well without being overly cheerful or morbid. Some characters were sadly dropped after Anne's marriage (Davey, Dora, etc) but the addition of Mary Vance and Susan is reason alone to keep reading. "And that you may tie to" as Susan would say.
on December 2, 2016
This CLASSIC English literature story has been a children's best seller for decades. Amazon is selling (and we bought) knock-off copies print versions of the book - they are scanned and re-printed - probably overseas - by amateurs (not publishers) ,- they are hoping to make a buck or two. Therefore the first copy we bought was badly printed and reproduced with no thought to page numbering, editing, etc. Just scanned and thrown out on paper with no regard for the literary content. (We got our money back - thank you Amazon) The second copy we bought was slightly better - albeit titled "Anne Green Gables" with no idea of the actual title. It still appeared to have been scanned and reproduced. This classic deserves better treatment than this - a good quality hard copy version of the book would have been a better gift to our granddaughter.
on December 20, 2013
The product is good, the problem is getting a new copy. A few days ago there were 8 vendors claiming to sell a new copy of the 1992 trade paperback edition (a set of better quality than the 1998 edition). After some direct inquiries 7 sellers have removed their links indicating that they in fact were selling the 1998 edition and the final "new" vendor has yet to respond to my inquiries so I would recommend getting confirmation of the edition you are buying, especially at $99 (the last vendor's price).
on December 19, 2013
Disappointed. Anne of Green Gables is one of my favorite books and was looking forward to listening to it while traveling week. The book is read by the man who directed the popular movie with Meghan Follows.
What I did not like about the set:
Some of the wording is changed to match the movie
Out of the 38 original chapters in the book, there are only about 25 of them read on this audio book.

The reader is OK, somewhat animated (but I wish he was a little more so). The quality was good, but overall disappointed because it is not the entire book.
on October 11, 2014
Never read this set of books as a young girl--have no idea why. I was fascinated with Harriet the Spy and Pippi Longstocking and Cherry Ames' books, I guess.

I am utterly CHARMED by the Anne of Green Gables books. Sweet story, even if it's set 100 years ago in a place I've never visited. She's a strong young lady with a brain, yet she struggles with self-esteem and with her impetuousness. Yep, I'm Anne of Green Gables!

Loving reading the books before bed. I might be pushing 60 years old, but this set of books has made me smile.
on April 16, 2017
I love these books and wish fervently that there were more of them. I am building a library of them for a young friend of mine who loves and treasures beautiful things. A child can never have too many books. Get rid of all of that electronic stuff, parents!