Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 15, 2016
Anne of Green Gables is a wonderful classic story and it gets 5 stars. This particular printing, however, is completely unacceptable. It's as if someone typed it into a document, and printed it off--no page numbers, not titled at the top of each page, the lines don't even break properly (see photo). Purchased as a gift, thankfully with enough time to purchase a better quality copy--probably for less money! A disgrace to the publishing community.
review image review image
33 comments| 232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2012
Two years ago I would have bet a bazillion dollars I would never read a "girls" book. But at 71 years of age I found myself in a house full of books only one of which I had not read. I am terrribly addicted to reading so, in desperation, I started "Anne of Green Gables". It is a marvelous book with a main character I wish I could meet every day in real life. Again to feed my addiction I bought the "Anne of Green Gables" series. Each book was a delight and I soon forgot that they were "girls" books. Maud created a character we all need in our life. She turns the mundane magical and believable. Reading them all in nearly a continous setting makes Anne "wearying" to quote Marilla since unbounded child-like wonder is hard to maintain. I wish I had read these books decades ago so Anne could have helped me through some less than happy times.
33 comments| 394 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2016
I LOVED Anne of Green Gables as a child and own the complete hard copy of the Anne series. Initially, I was delighted to find this collection of books written by one of my all time favorite authors for only $0.99 (kindle price. What a steal!) and felt I had to get the digital copy for my kindle at once. As soon as the product was delivered to my device, I began to read it since it's been years since I've visited the darling world that L.M Montgomery created.

I was very surprised to find that I kept tripping on certain sentences; the writing didn't seem as smooth as I remembered. When I got to chapter 6, I decided to compare a sentence in the digital print to my old, yellowing physical copy of Anne of Green Gables book. I realized why I had some difficulty reading my new digital copy: THERE ARE TYPOS IN THIS PRODUCT.

It contains the WORST kinds of typos. There are typos in which it results in sentences that don't make sense. There are typos with the wrong pronouns in them that make it confusing for the reader to understand which character the publisher meant to write about. I am able to follow the story because I've read Anne of Green Gables more than once with my hard copy but for new readers, these typos will make this beautiful story difficult to read and at times, understand.

I hope the digital copy can be fixed so that owners can enjoy L.M. Montgomery's work as it was meant to be enjoyed. I have given this two stars instead of one because of the fabulous price for kindle readers.
11 comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2016
The illustrations are actually random pictures that are creepy since they are in the beginning when Anne meets Mathew Cuthbert so they insinuate a romance between them. And the free audiobook is click bait to set you up to download an app and give your email address to spammers. Screen shots of the "illustrations" below.
review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 22, 2016
Don't pass on this kindle book ASIN: B01IAQI9WQ (especially given it's reasonable price) All eight of the primary stories featuring Anne Shirley are included in order of how the main character ages (rather than year published which makes more sense to me) as follows:

1) Anne of Green Gables ages 11-16 found at the 1% mark in kindle version(start)
2) Anne of Avonlea ages 16-18 found at the 14% mark in kindle version
3) Anne of the Island ages 18-22 found at the 26% mark in kindle version
4) Anne of Windy Poplars ages 22-25 found at the 37% mark in kindle version
5) Anne's House of Dreams ages 25-27 found at the 49% mark in kindle version
6) Anne of Ingleside ages 34-40 found at the 60% mark in kindle version
7) Rainbow Valley ages 41-43 found at the 75% mark in kindle version
8) Rilla of Ingleside ages 49-53 found at the 86% mark in kindle version

Need a larger font or different type for your basic kindle? Open the book, press the menu button and click on "Change Font Size" where you have your choice of 8 size settings, 3 different typefaces, 3 line space settings or you can even reconfigure the words per line.

This collection actually bested my former favorite Anne of Green Gables Collection (Xist publishing ASIN: B016CFGT2Y) by including "Anne of Windy Poplars" which isn't one you're going to find separately for free on kindle.

Don't get discouraged if when you open the book for the first time or use the "Go to" button so as to arrive at the beginning you might think that it does not have a table of contents because it does! Simply use the page back function at that point and there you will find an active table of contents for all eight books including every chapter heading (which isn't something I necessarily require).

Reason I'm giving it only 4 stars? Doesn't include "Chronicles of Avonlea" and "Further Chronicles of Avonlea" which does reference Anne Shirley when she was about 20 years of age and for me should be in a 'complete' set (tho you can pick these two titles up free for kindle). Otherwise, book is a bargain and one I would definitely recommend.
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2016
This is a great deal for all these books on the Kindle! My daughter was totally hooked on the series. Just note this set is missing Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside. We had to buy those separately.
on September 3, 2015
It bothers me immensely that these Kindle (and other eBook formats) collections state that they are complete when they do NOT have all of the books in the series. I could not find even one collection, at any price, with the complete series. The books in order are: (1) Anne of Green Gables, (2) Anne of Avonlea, (3) Anne of the Island, (4) Anne of Windy Poplars, (5) Anne's House of Dreams, (6) Anne of Ingleside, (7) Rainbow Valley, (8) Rilla of Ingleside, and (9) The Road to Yesterday. And then there are the short stories Chronicles of Avonlea and Further Chronicles of Avonlea. Upon further research, I was told by a publisher in NYC that (4) Anne of Windy Poplars, (6) Anne of Ingleside, and (9) The Road to Yesterday (which is actually a group of short stories found after her death and published by her son in 1974) are still under copyright and are not in the public domain. This is why, evidently, they are not included in the "complete collections" available on Kindle.
on December 21, 2016
This is a great book, but buying this edition which Marco Pedulla purports to have translated constitutes buying stolen property.

The book was written in Englilsh, so Pedulla has translated nothing. What he has done has taken material free in the public domain and offered it on Amazon.

Amazon should NOT support theft.
on December 7, 2016
This review is of the kindle version of Anne: The Green Gables Complete Collection and does not reflect on the L.M. Montgomery text. The Anne books have always been favorites of mine.
Buy the book, but get another edition!
First issue: Really random pics grabbed from some art history textbook do not qualify as illustrations. They are more distracting than I would have imagined. Why didn't they leave the totally unrelated images out?
Second issue: This is some new definition of complete that I am unacquainted with. This is Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea only. None of the later books are included.
False advertising. A text I am being pulled out of by unnecessary distractions. There have to be better options. I am going in search of one.
How glad I am that I grew up before "reading experts" decided that a young reader can enjoy only books which are "relevant" - in other words, books which act as a mirror to the child's own circumstances. I don't remember reading a single book when I was growing up that resembled my life as a 1950's kid growing up in a working class family in a suburb in a medium-sized Southern town with parents and siblings and pets. I was living that life. Why would I need or want to read about it?

To me, reading was (and is) escapism and no adult ever tried to tell me otherwise. I assume they thought that reading about other times and other cultures would add to my knowledge and sharpen my imagination. I read Nancy Drew and Tarzan and historical novels and romances and biographies and a copy of 1984 that I found in the attic. And I read and loved the "Anne" books.

The poignant story of an orphaned girl born fifty years before I arrived on earth was as real to me as my own life. The setting on a farming island community in Canada was quaint, but the themes and characters were familiar. Which is another way of saying that they were universal and timeless. The people in the Anne books dressed differently and talked differently, but I had no trouble recognizing and understanding their dreams and aspirations, their anger and pettiness, their generosity and jealousy.

My sisters and I read and loved and shared them and 60 years later we sometimes say, "Do you remember when Mrs. Lynde said....?" or "Doesn't that remind you of the time that Gilbert and Anne....?" We had no trouble at all "relating" to those books and I wish that the author knew how much enjoyment they gave us.

I can (and do) still read them and in some ways my enjoyment is deeper. Although the author was a relatively young woman when she wrote the earliest of the series, she had grown up with old relatives and was capable of painting them realistically and lovingly. The generations weren't segregated as they are today and children and old people were often close companions and allies. What a wonderful way of life.

When I first got my Kindle, I down-loaded a collection, but it lacked ANNE OF WINDY POPLARS and ANNE OF INGLESIDE, which are two of my favorites. I know now that the author wrote the first book of the series (ANNE OF GREEN GABLES) in 1908 and (following up on its popularity) continued with ANNE OF AVONLEA (the story of Anne's two years as a village "school ma'am") in 1909, ANNE OF THE ISLAND (the story of Anne's four college years) in 1915 and ANNE'S HOUSE OF DREAMS (the story of Anne's early years as a wife and mother) in 1917. Two books that dealt primarily with Anne and Gilbert's grown children (RAINBOW VALLEY and RILLA OF INGLESIDE) appeared in 1919 and 1921.

Then the author left the series for more than a decade. It wasn't until the 1930's that she went back and told the story of Anne's three years as a high school principal (ANNE OF WINDY POPLARS) and the story of her young family growing up (ANNE OF INGLESIDE.) Those two books are not yet in the public domain and I don't know why they are offered for free in this collection, but I'm glad to have all of the books together with a fine interactive chapter of contents.

I re-read WINDY POPLARS and I still think it's a delightful book. Times have changed, but there are still wealthy, influential families who think they are above the rules and children from poor families struggling to over-come huge obstacles. There are still teachers who pour their hearts into their jobs and resentful ones who wish they could be somewhere, anywhere, else. There are tragedies and frustrations and some people deal with them wisely and others foolishly. Lucy Maud Montgomery had her own problems in life, but her belief in the value of doing your best, cheerfully and generously, shines through her stories. Her observations are sharp and humorous, but never vicious or unkind. These books are not out-dated, but as relevant today as when they were written.