Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Another Celebrated Dancing Bear
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 19, 2008
This book, suggested in the Five in a Row curriculum, is a very sweet story about two bears who share friendship, encouragement, tea, and a love for dancing. Set in Russia, with a samovar and all, one bear encourages and helps his friend follow his dream. While Boris could choose to be jealous of Max's dancing and feel sorry for himself that he could never learn or succeed, he instead takes a leap of faith and allows Max to mentor him. A great book when learning about Russia...read over a cup of tea (Russian if you can) and Russian tea cookies and follow with a recording or DVD of Tchaikovsky.
on December 24, 2015
This is a sweet book about a bear named Boris who just wants to learn to dance like his friend Max. We used it with the Five in a Row curriculum, and although I don't see this being pulled off the shelf for any additional readings, the kids did enjoy the story, especially my 6 year old. For what it's worth, it gave us a lot of opportunity to talk about jealousy, and how Max was a good friend to recognize the problem and offer to help, without even being asked. My kids were interested in the Hussars dance mentioned in the book, so we looked up videos. The book describes the process of etchings the illustrator used, so we made our own version which was a huge hit. Since the setting is in Russia, we learned about Russia and Russian culture, and we read it in December, so that we could transition into a Tchaikovsky composer study and The Nutcracker. I love when a book had a good story AND offers a lot of learning opportunities, and this one delivers!
on May 6, 2013
We love the "freshness" of this book. What I mean is, it gives us a different type of artwork to look at (there is a "Note About the Pictures," telling you how the artist goes from etching to printing the pictures). And you get to explore a little bit of Russian culture (as well as rhythm and dancing). I have not seen any other children's picture book with these combined elements.

And the moral of the story is great, too. One of the bears thinks only his friend can dance, and he cannot. He discovers that if he puts forth the effort, he too can dance. I like that the author shows that it takes commitment; time; hard work; and humility to be taught, in order to learn a new skill.
on November 17, 2011
We are using this book as part of the Five In A Row curriculum. It was the first book that didn't connect in any way with my kids (7 & 6). The pictures bored them and the story, while very nice, just didn't hold their interest. Everything in the book is basically the same color and looked drab, even to me. It was the first book we didn't like and will probably not pick up again.

I still give it three stars because there are some good things to learn from it and its a sweet story. But as a "living book" it fell flat, in our opinion :)
on November 19, 2009
You can enjoy reading this book with your kids and then talk about what it means to help a friend and putting effort into doing something you really want to do.
on January 3, 2013
Excellent introduction to Russian culture for young kids. They enjoyed both the story of the bears and the Russian setting.
on October 28, 2014
A very charming book with a lovely story of friendship with artwork by a favorite illustrator. I think children would love this book as much as I do!
on September 21, 2013
This book is amazing! The condition was even better than advertised. Using it in our curriculum and we are very happy.
on January 17, 2015
This is a great childrens book. I used it as we were learning about Russia. My son still asks for it.
on August 30, 2014
Not a favorite although I wanted to like it. Did not purchase en bulk.