Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Halo 3 - Xbox 360 forum

Anybody else tired of the Halo overhyping?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 10, 2007, 11:42:08 PM PDT
Jason J says:
Not cutting down the game at all. The first one was fun to play at LAN parties. The second one was good, but felt more like Halo 1.5 than a true sequal.

What gets on my nerves is the overhyping done by the Halo fanboys.

Look one game will not bring down the PS3. its going to take a long string of games to do that. A gamer will still buy a PS3 if they want to play FFXIII or MGS 4 regardless of when Halo 3 comes out.

Also the Halo series has been as great as most fanboys would like you to believe. Its not original in any way. As a long time FPS I can see where they basically cloned bits and pieces from all the other popular shooters. Basically its in reality part Unreal, part Doom, part Half Life, part Counterstike clones when you get down the core of the gameplay. While that may sound good it doesn't help the gamers getting sick of playing the same tired cloned shooter over and over again under a different name.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2007, 5:16:27 PM PDT
Leon Evelake says:
I agree halo is extremely over hyped and while very successful could not single handedly bring down a system with a promising future (despite what 360 fan boys want to believe) though it is popular enough to make the 360 successful. The game is fun but is in no way original I merely take the best other shooters had to offer to make a fun game, and while I intend to buy it just to have a game to play with friends it nowhere compares to some of the other great game series.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2007, 8:48:39 AM PDT
MVP says:
Sorry, I would have to disagree. I've played lots of shooters over the years, including Doom, CounterStrike, Unreal, etc. They were all very fun games, but they never fully captivated me the way Halo did.

In 2001, I was a college party guy who didn't play many videogames. I had more important stuff to do (drinking, women, more women, more drinking, etc). I always made fun of my dork of a roommate who played videogames non-stop. In late 2001, he bought an XBOX at launch with NHL 2002 and Halo. One night, he convinced me to sit down with him and play through the first couple of levels of Halo, and I was literally blown away. Something about it was just special. The musical score, the pacing, the feel of the weapons, the beautiful environments, the vehicles - it all just came together to create a totally immersive experience. No other shooter before or after Halo (with the exception of Halo 2) has hooked me like this. Now I am just as big of a videogame dork as my old roommate, and I credit it all to Halo.

That's why I personally don't think the Halo games are overhyped.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2007, 2:34:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2007, 2:36:36 PM PDT
M. Hammond says:
Jason Jordan, from reading your entry one could change "Halo" and put in almost any other shooter form recent memory. Most of what you say is a genre problem not a Halo problem, the goal in most shooter is to, well, shoot your way to victory. It's not that deep a gaming genre. Your other comment that Halo borrows from other games is probably true, but they all do that - they sometimes change who, why, and how you shoot, but in all the games you mentioned you progress through the game by shooting! When you throw in co-op play and online or multiplayer play, they don't diverge too much there either. As an honest recommendation maybe you need to not play shooters for a while and try other types of games?

As for over-hyping by fanboys what does that matter? If a million raving lunatics sign up to pre-order Halo and have great enthusiasm for the game, how does that really affect you (I'll come clean and admit I preordered and prepaid)? If we're happy and giddy with anticipation and you're not, that's ok. I will admit in our media saturated culture each company attempts to out shout the other to get attention and "buzz" - and MS will do everything to maximize this, but I guarantee if Sony could do this for a PS3 game they would and probably will for Heavenly Sword (p.s. Sony you absolutely need to hire better commercial writers).

As for the one game won't doom the PS3, I agree - but I also think Halo will hurt the expansion of the PS3 installed base until after this holiday season. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Halo, unless it absolutely sucks, will be the largest selling game this holiday season. Halo, BioShock, and Mass Effect (maybe) will really push the 360 into the publics mind and probably have good media spin and support - so I can see the 360 tying up the hardcore market (I also think the Wii will be the overall winner and snap up all the "casual" gamers and that market). If this holiday season helps the 360 build an even larger lead it might really force Sony into some serious decision making (cut the PS3 price to under the 360, etc) which will hurt the PS3's long term business model (heard some rumbling about this with the latest price cut) [as a side note not sure the bait and switch price cut to clear out the 60GB inventory was a great PR move - you can see MS responded with a minor across the board price cut - just to say they had one and that it applied to all models].

Sony has some really good looking games with Heavenly Sword and to some extent Ratchet and Clank, Unreal 3 (6 Nov 07 - smart move by EPIC BTW), and maybe PS3 home - and these games will help sell PS3s. But with a number of good/great games coming out for both consoles at the same time, including: Jericho (23 Oct 07), Blacksite Area 51 (5 Nov 07), Guitar Hero 3 LoR (29 Oct 07), Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (5 Nov 07), and the complete Lego Star Wars Saga (5 Nov 07), the PS3 will have to share the spotlight on these and could have an identity crisis by not differentiating itself enough from the 360. So the PS3 will do ok but my guess is it will lose ground and sell less units then the 360 based on games alone.

Last point, I could be 100% wrong on the game/console sales this holiday season and so it will be fun to watch!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2007, 10:19:37 PM PDT
Jason J says:
I agree with most of your post.

I still like some of the shooters and can see openings to bring it into new grounds that have been unexplored. Problem is that developers like Bungie and others choice to borrow from what was done before. In the end you get this deja vu feeling about ten minutes into the game.

The problem with the overhyping is that it makes a good game feel dissappointing. When everybody is running around screaming how groundbreaking and how Halo is the best game in the world. You can't help to feel dissappointed when you first play it and its nothing as the screaming fanboys have proclaimed it to be.

I don't mind people looking forward to a game. Xbox fanboys seem to for some reason overdo the hype to the point that it turns you away from the games. That is the Halo series biggest problem. You got this 18 months before the game comes out of hearing about how amazing its going be. I really think that hurts the game in the long run.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2007, 8:45:31 AM PDT
M. McFly says:
M Hammond-

Great post.
A few random points - Once the $499 PS3 runs out it will be very interesting to see what Sony does with price on the 80gb $599 version. As great of machine the PS3 is, $599 is to high to reach a critical mass. Plus the compeition is priced at $349, and to a lesser extent $249 for the wii. Or more alarming for Sony is the fact you could buy a PS3 for $599 or a 20gb 360 AND a wii for the same price. ($249wii + $349 xbox =$598!)
Of course Halo is going to be overhyped, MS wants everyone hearing and thinking about the 360, not the Wii which has all the buzz. Wii wins this holiday season easily, its half way thru August and you still can't find them in stores, the holiday ramp up hasn't even started yet. MSFT and Sony in the USA should be pretty close, with Halo I give the edge to MSFT....
Either way I 100% agree it will be fun to watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2007, 11:06:55 AM PDT
have you heard anything about a november release of the wii ?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2007, 2:52:42 AM PDT
Jason J says:
I'm hoping to get a PS3 soon.

The Xbox 360 needs more variety in its lineup to really compete with Sony and Nintendo. That has always been a strong point of the Playstation and Nintendo lineup. You get a little bit off everything in the lineup. When your in the mood to play something else you can.

Another strong point for the PS3 and Wii is the strong single player element. While online is fun when the game is popular. When the people move on the the next big online game you lose all replay value in the game. With the strong single player element you have more longevity in the game.

Then you get to the Xbox where 85% of the titles seem to be shooters and sports games. I don't want to play anymore WW2 shooters. Saving the human race from aliens is so overdone its not that interesting anymore. The only thing that has left me interested in the Xbox 360 at this point is the Xbox Live Arcade games since its about the only place to get a decent mix of different genres to choice from.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2007, 3:02:40 PM PDT
Raul Duke says:
you're views or somewhat flawed, Jason. heres why.

Blue Dragon
Two Worlds
Mass Effect
Eternal Sonata

all are very epic RPGs that will be on 360 in the next couple weeks and not PS3. any one of which minus eternal sonata should be long enough to keep anyone busy for hundreds of hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2007, 6:10:00 PM PDT
Me says:
answer to question:
no =D

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2007, 2:35:19 AM PDT
Jason J says:
No offense Duke, but none of them titles ring a bell.

Mass Effect sort of does, but thats only because Bioware is making the game. The others I wouldn't exactly call system sellers either.

You still can't hide the fact that the shooters still vastly outnumber the other genres.

What I like about the games coming out to the PS3 is the variety. You got a bit of everything for different gamers like Ratchet, Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and Devil May Cry.

While some gamers may be heavy on shooters. Most gamers like to mix it up from time to time. You have to have something different so you don't get burnt out on that one genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007, 2:58:07 AM PDT
Andrew Cho says:
Yes Halo is overhyped but many of it's players haven't played shooters on PC before. You gotta start somewhere.

I can say with a good deal of confidence that Crysis due out later this year for the PC will blow your little halo-worshiping minds.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2007, 8:17:25 AM PDT
I would like too point out that shooters/action/sport games will ALWAYS out number RPGs simply because they cost less too produces and are garunteed too sell (and generaly sell well). Lets face it, ALOT more work went into Oblivion than Ever went into, say, Ghost Recon (GoW too, but there it is less noticable).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2007, 1:23:31 AM PDT
Jason J says:
That still no excuse for trying not to push the genre with each game if possible.

Honestly how many times do we need to see the same game under a new name. With the shooters its mostly all "just like Doom" or "just like Half Life" or "just like Call of Duty".

Most of the developers don't bother to even try to change the formula at all.

I hate to say it, but to truly start seeing a change in the Shooter genre gamers just have to stop buying all the garbage fillers that are pushed out. By doing this you will force developers into trying something new since they are going to be forced to change things up to get sales. Right now they have no reason to change.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Halo 3 - Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Aug 10, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 18, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Halo 3 - Xbox 360
Halo 3 - Xbox 360 by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
4.3 out of 5 stars (1,063)