Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Anybody else notice the squares around the ships/death star in Empire & Jedi?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2011 6:57:40 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
I noticed huge squares around ships and the Death Star (from being edited in the old way with cuts of film I would assume) in both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Anybody else notice this?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2011 7:58:15 PM PDT
SCprogfan says:
Yes, I did! In fact, I came to the reviews here to see if anyone else mentioned it. What is the deal with that?

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 8:41:38 PM PDT
hey atleast he fixed the ewoks right?...(sarcasm)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2011 9:45:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2011 9:43:54 PM PDT
JASON M says:
Episode IV: A New Hope
In the review by High Def Digest it was stated that the coloring of the escape pod lid was fixed from blue to black. This is the scene in which storm troopers find the pod that R2D2 and C3PO escaped in, occurring at about 15min 20sec.
It appears to still be very blue from what I have seen. Has anyone noticed this also. Just wondering if it is my setup or did the reviewer at High Def Digest get it wrong.
Other things that I thought lessened the overall video presentation was :
1. the edit of Han Solo dodging Greedo's laser blast (it was just amateur in execution)
2. when they find out that Leia lied about the location of the rebel base, Darth vader speaks to the admiral and seconds later when he stops talking his hand is gesturing as if he is still speaking (way out of sync)
3. Han Solo walks over Jabba's tail in the hanger before escaping in the Millenium Falcon with Luke and Obi Wan (once again the digital manipulation of this edit is rough and stands out).
4. What is with the green flashes of light as the light sabers clash during the duel between Obi Wan and Darth Vader. This does not happen in any of the other films. It should have been corrected.

I Still enjoyed the movie very much despite these flaws.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2011 11:49:02 PM PDT
Those are garbage mattes, necessary by-products of the bluescreen process. Wiki it.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 7:36:46 AM PDT
Gus Hound says:
2. when they find out that Leia lied about the location of the rebel base, Darth vader speaks to the admiral and seconds later when he stops talking his hand is gesturing as if he is still speaking (way out of syn)
=======================
This is nothing new. It's been that way since the first release in 1977.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 8:45:15 AM PDT
Coressel says:
I changed my Panasonic plasma display settings from "Dynamic" to "Cinema," and most of the matte lines went away or were a bit more muted, especially in Episode 4. There are some very obvious mattes all through Episode 6, though.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 9:47:45 AM PDT
Ziggy says:
Coressel, you should try a Calibration DVD/Blu-ray to set up the picture settings on your TV. One of my displays is a Panasonic plasma and I can tell you the Dynamic or Vivid mode is way too hot on most of the picture settings. Here's a disc recommendation:

Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc Edition [Blu-ray]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 10:00:02 AM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
Still how come I never notice them in any other movies? They stick out like a sore thumb in Empire and Jedi. Seems Mr. Lucas should have spent a little more time making sure things like this didn't show so bad in these HD presentations. Instead he wastes time adding in unnecessary rocks, howls, eyelids, and NOOOOOs... What a hack!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 11:48:36 AM PDT
So, George Lucas is too blame because you have you tv settings out of whack? Why should he fix something that looks correct on a properly calibrated tv?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 2:28:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2011 2:35:06 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
Like I said, no other movie I have ever watched on my TV have I been able to see this kind of thing, and I watch my fair share of sci-fi epics that definitely use these same kind of editing techniques. I'm not saying that my brightness isn't bit high, as it is the same TV I use for gaming & as my computer monitor. But these squares are VERY noticeable to me, to the point that I believe they will still be noticeable no matter how my TV is set up. I am also not the only person to have noticed this. I have to ask, have YOU seen these movies they way they are on this set? If not I implore you to do so, and tell me if YOU see the editing squares or not.

Also, considering the amount of CGI he has added into the original trilogy, it's kind of ridiculous that the editing squares can be seen at all, no matter how high my brightness level is. The prequels use many of these same techniques according to the bonus features and no editing is noticeable. As a matter of fact The Phantom Menace looks absolutely flawless on my TV the way it is currently set up. Just seems to me that no further restoration was done to the original trilogy for this HD release, just more added unnecessary bullcrap!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 2:36:54 PM PDT
The stepping on the tail bit was the only one I took much notice of. I had actually first seen that glitch on the '04 DVDs, and was somewhat disappointed it wasn't rectified here.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 2:51:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2011 2:53:43 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
I'm very disappointed with the problems that get ignored, and the non-problems that are always being "fixed". Like why did it take this long for the Wampa arm to get fixed, but tons of unnecessary CGI crap was/is added constantly.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 3:34:53 PM PDT
BE says:
Never use the Dynamic setting. It has pretty color, but it is incorrect. You can burn a Blu-ray calibration disc to a DVD. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 Some players will not play Blu-ray content on a DVD though. Make sure all enhancement settings are off on your TV.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 4:33:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2011 4:34:26 PM PDT
The original episodes were pre-CGI and the special effects were done using stop motion and traveling mattes. The traveling mattes were very noticeable in the original 35mm film releases, the Beta, Laser disc and DVD versions. I have only looked at episodes 1 and 2 so far and I have not seen the travel mattes faint outlines. Some parts looks like they were redone in CGI. Oh well, George said he was never satisfied so he tweaks these films when he can. The last release of the DVD set corrected some problems and added new stuff. I don't find adding new things bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 8:30:59 AM PST
Cubs Fan :) says:
I borrowed my friend's set to watch these and yes, the pod lid was fixed but only in the early scenes with 3-PO and R2. Later, in the scenes with the Stormtroopers, no, it's back to blue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2016 9:30:21 AM PDT
Rizzo41 says:
This shouldn't be visible at all, I don't care how you set your picture on your tv.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 4, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions