Amazon Vehicles Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Lady Gaga Shop Cycling on Amazon
Customer Discussions > Carnival Games - Nintendo Wii forum

Anyone having problems with the Carnival Game Software??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2007 6:04:26 AM PDT
S. Bray says:
Is anyone having problems with the new Carnival Games software locking up, going blank (dark screen) with a loud screeching noise or looking very distorted? I've had all these things happen with Carnival Games. I'm not sure if there may be a software glitch or if there could be something wrong with our Wii system and not the software.

The first carnival games software became so distorted and making such a terrible loud noise, I had to return it because it scared my kids. I was able to exchange the first one with no problems. Got the second carnival game home and it seem to be working just fine... UNTIL... after about a little more than an hour into playing, we started to have some of the same issues as the first carnival game we had (just not as bad). The screen would go blank and freeze up and when we would reset the game at times it the pictures would look distorted.

I would hate to have to take yet a second game back; just to get a third one that end up doing the same thing. We tried everything to trouble shoot the problem. We would reset the game, we would take the disc out shut the wii down unplug it, wait about a minute and reboot everything back up. Made sure the disc had no visible scratches and dust. This would help for a little while, but the carnival game would eventually stop working again. We also made sure the remotes were charged. I started to think maybe something was wrong with the Wii console instead of the game. We have 7 other games, so we put a couple of the older titles in and they seemed to be in good working order. So I'm a little stumped now.

Could I have simply gotten two bad copies of this game or should I get my wii checked out? Any suggestions before I run back to BB for the third time????

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 11:32:14 AM PDT
V. Kwok says:
Yes. It did lock up twice in my Wii, too. But not that serious as you. When I click the blue street sign (top one - sorry forgot the name of it), my Wii is frozen and have a very loud noise coming out! Can't reset it at all, therefore, I just unplug the power supply and plug it back. Other than that, everything is fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 3:29:11 PM PDT
J. Cooper says:
I haven't had any noise or black screen problems. However, I have not been able to get the Wii to recognize the second Wii-mote. I am beginning to think it may be a software issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 6:24:00 AM PDT
Paul Stuart says:
While my copy of 'Carnival Games' seems to be (knock on wood) glitch-free, you folks are very much not alone. A basic Internet search will uncover several posts akin to yours describing random bugs/crashes in this title.

My suggestion would be: stop torturing yourselves!

Simply return the game, pick up a new copy. (Nearly every mainstream gaming/electronics outlet allows a questions-free swap for the same title.) Odds are, a certain press run left the factory iffy -- this happens more often than you think with any CD-based product. Hopefully the swapped version will be off a different press run, problem solved. If you can test the new copy at the store (eg a Gamestop/EB Games), try to recreate the glitch/es as to not waste your time.

Worst case scenario -- and it requires a bit more patience -- is to swap through the company directly. Every game (check the last page of the instruction manual) has a 30-90 day warranty upon purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2007 1:18:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2007 1:19:06 PM PDT
A. Brockman says:
I started having the same problems with my copy today. It worked fine for the first 4 days or so. Now, three times today it completely locked up and we had the shrill noise and the blank screen. The only thing I can do is shut off the power supply and re-start it after a few minutes. Argh!!

The Ring Toss game also dosent work half the time???

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2007 10:17:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2007 10:20:03 PM PDT
pikachu says:
Same happened to me after about 1 day's play. The lockup and the noise seem to happen after I have had some prize and score stored in my Wii system. Also the errors don't always occur in the same area for me. After exchanged a new disc with BB, the same errors still exist. So I deleted all my carnival game data on Wii and started new. The game was OK for a while, but now I have played more, the errors occur again but not as bad as before since I didn't bother to create my own characters and customize any features. It looks like certain combination of game data triggers these problems (I think it is software problems). So if you still have problems with you Carnival games, try delete your game data and use default characters for your play, maybe it will help.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2007 11:40:24 PM PDT
Korianto says:
I've read on other forums that there has been software problems with Carnival - especially when a specific street sign is clicked on.

I'm guessing certain lots were affected. So if you bought one in a specific store - and bring yours back there - ask if the new one is from the same shipment/lot. If it is, see if you can check it out before leaving - or if you can even wait until the next shipment comes into the store. (in my opinion - that's what I would do - who wants to take a chance of getting a bad disc from the same batch a second time!)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2007 9:56:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2007 11:25:23 AM PDT
I cannot get the multipule controlers to work. Anyone know how to solve this problem? I am frustrated and have been told that I am basically SOL if I want my money back. i am on my 2nd copy becuase the first one had one of the lanes show up as black and white distored and flashing images.

After posting this, we found additional problems with the game. I called Best Buy corporate who basically told me tough crap and they would not refund my money. I explained that they should be the advocate for the comsumer and in the case of a design flaw, should offer refunds to those that ask. They were rude - VERY RUDE. So, we went back to the store, traded it in for a game we really didn't want, and will never go back to Best Buy. My kids are very disappointed that the Carnival game had to be returned. So am I. It was fun (when it worked) and the kids and I were having a lot of fun together (the point of the game right?). Buyer beware of this game right now. Until I am assured the flaws are fixed, I will not even attempt to buy this again.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007 11:03:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2007 11:19:01 AM PDT
ShawnA says:
Yup same exact problems, at least 3-4 times everytime I play it it will lock up, usually when clicking a sign, say claw alley for example, and sometimes after being awarded. Obviously a bug or a bad batch I hope. I will be contacting the company to find out cause other than that its been pretty fun. Oh and I used to get all whacjed graphics on one of the areas but it stopped one day.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007 9:25:05 PM PDT
Korianto says:
I have yet to have a problem with single controller use.

ARE all your problems occurring when you use Multiple Controllers?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2007 6:11:12 AM PDT
A. Brockman says:
I actually had the problem both with one controller and multiple. Although I have not had any problems for about 2 weeks and I havent done anything differently??

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 2:49:36 PM PDT
Jayce Rose says:
i've had tne noise too.. i just got a new disc hope it works.. now as to the 2nd wii mote.. are you correctly choosing the right multi-player selection? there are two ways to play.. 1st multi using 1 wiimote
and 2nd is multi using multi wiimotes

good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2007 5:05:18 PM PDT
John says:
I just got the game and have the exact same lock-up issue. I just left a message with Global Star Software. Has anyone contacted them yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2007 5:30:39 PM PDT
I got the following email from them, stating that it is the Wii and not their game. I find it hard to believe that we all have defective Wiis and there is no problem with their game! Here's their reply to me:

From what we can tell so far, the game has revealed a fault in your Wii System Memory. The Wii System Memory is the flash memory inside your Wii that stores saved games and that can be used to cache data files.
Technically we are supposed to tell you to send your system into Nintendo to get it serviced because the flash memory in your system is faulty. Carnival Games uses the flash memory in a way most games do not, so most games would not exhibit this behavior. In the interest of avoiding this issue in the future, we are working on an update to the game that avoids using the flash memory for disc caching. Unfortunately it is going to take a 3-4 weeks before this update makes it through test and is manufactured. Once it is available, we can send you a replacement. It will not fix the problem with your Wii, however it will stop using the faulty part of your Wii. I'm sorry that we don't have a better solution available at the moment. Please send us your mailing address (in writing) and we will send out the replacement as soon as it is available.

Cat Daddy Games

Attn: Pat Wilkinson

14715 Bel-Red Road, Suite 100

Bellevue, WA 98007

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007 6:48:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 8, 2010 10:58:26 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2007 9:08:24 PM PST
BobaFetch says:
I've had my wii serviced because of the optical drive problem.

I still have a disk lock up problem w/ this specific game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2007 9:08:57 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 12, 2007 9:09:47 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2007 4:18:17 PM PST
Joey's Girl says:
I bought a newer Wii system and mine has NEVER ONCE locked up playing Carnival Games, and I have played it more than 30 times. However, my brother bought a Wii on it's launch date and his DOES lock up with this game. I agree with the letter that it is the Wii system and not the game, especially seeing that so many people got several copies of this game and had the same problem over and over. I think the newer Wii systems, like mine, which were manufactured over the summer may have addressed this bad memory issue. That's only my opinion though, as I have not spoken directly with the companies to confirm this. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2007 10:25:59 AM PST
A. Riggeal says:
I had the same problem with my Carnival game. I called the company that makes it and they said it was my Wii, so I called nintendo. They said it has to do with the way the game saves. I guess the Wii isn't flash memory or something like that, and it is causing the game to glitch and freeze. You should call nintendo.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 6:22:08 PM PST
W. Chang says:
after you enter the game, do the following: (must admit it took me some time to figure it out)
1. hit on home button on wii-mote to bring up wii menu
2. choose remote setting and setup the extra remote(s) you want to use in the game
3. now your extra remote(s) are recognized.
you can now go back to the game and choose multi-user mode

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2007 5:54:14 PM PST
momof3 says:
We had the same problem. I did not like having a game that made the Wii scream and the only way to get it to stop was to unplug the system. I took mine back yesterday and exchanged it for another game (they didn't have the same game, which I am glad).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2007 11:22:21 PM PST
Will says:
For adding the extra remotes, Read the Wii instruction manual.
There are 2 ways to add remotes, from the menus, and using the red buttons on the wii and the remotes..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 11:50:28 AM PST
We bought this game as soon as it was released....never had a problem...the kids favorite game. Looks like you have two defected copies...just look up a manufactuar number and talk to someone...they will verify your copy and most likely replace it with one that works. Sorry about your bad copies :( Third times a charm ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008 8:59:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2008 9:00:15 AM PDT
B says:
I rented this title, and while it had the typical rental scratches, it started up fine. BUT... whenever I did hit the street sign, about 25% of the time, the screen went crazy and my Wii made some crazy screetching sound. Had to power it off by holding the power button. Weird and not nice to see or hear.

Sounds like this really IS a budget title. I'll wait for them to fix this before I shell out more $ on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2008 10:33:45 AM PDT
David Allen says:
I've been playing for serveral weeks and have had no such issues. Sounds like a Wii is dying to me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  25
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Sep 3, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 29, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

This discussion is about