Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on February 20, 2003
This player is well worth the money, however for a few bucks more you can buy a better unit.
This unit works very well for an inexpensive DVD that is used on occasion. It falls short in the following respects:
1.) Although it plays perfect DVD's very well, it doesn't play them if they have slight damage. It will not play a DVD that plays without a problem on my Toshiba DVD player.
2.) It does not have a universal remote. The included remote is ok but has limited function.
|0Comment|Report abuse
I was wanting a 3rd DVD player, one for the bedroom, and I am pleasant surprised at this one. Great features, good solid remote (though I being a baby boomer and arms are getting too shorts would have liked bigger buttons!!)
The quality is super, the sound superior to one I paid twice for, was SHOCKED how much better the sounds was from it.
I highly recommend this for anyone wishing a DVD player. A great value especially for the low low price
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon April 29, 2002
Despite the attractive pricing, this machine is certainly no bargain. I thought it might serve as an upstairs complement to the Panasonic DVD RV31K I have downstairs. But especially in the light of recent price drops on the latter machine, it's difficult to rationalize purchase of the Apex, even if it's currently in the same price range as inexpensive VCR's. The tray doesn't slide open: it opens with a loud scrape and thunk. The minimal on-site controls (4) practically force you to rely on the remote, which features the largest number of tiny buttons I've ever seen crammed onto a tiny surface area. Unless you have laser eyes and muchkin fingers, it's unlikely you'll be able to punch one button without hitting several others. If you factor in the cost of returning the unit along with the postage you might have saved on another machine, you'll probably realize, as I have, that in this case less is simply less.
8 people found this helpful
on September 9, 2002
...Just got my AD-1500 from Amazon; it is very versatile. Plays my home burned SVCDs and MP3s well(make sure the MP3s are not VBR). Also, if the serial nr of your AD-1500 begins with A, B, C, or D, you can flash the unit with a free program (check the net), and remove the Region and Macrovision stuff from the unit. This means it will then play any Region DVDs AND record DVD on VHS tape for personal use...
14 people found this helpful
on December 6, 2001
I just purchased this player as a first time DVD user, and I am more than pleased. The picture is perfect and the sound is amazing. For those who said that the video didn't play well, I am wondering if they tried hooking it in through a VCR, as that will mess up the picture (either no picture, or a picture that fades in and out). THIS IS EASILY REMEDIED.
If you have an older TV, one with only a cable input and no video input jacks, you have to buy an RF Modulator (which the directions could have more clearly explained in my opinion), for about $30 at any (local store), in order to properly split the connection. This allows me full function of my two VCRs and my cable box along with the DVD player.
The machine is easy to hook up, is lightweight and attractive, and works very well. The directions are a little unclear, but it is a great "starter" machine, especially for the money.
55 people found this helpful
on April 15, 2016
This player stopped working after 6 months. I sent it off to be repaired for a fee that was about 2/3 of the purchase price and I believe they sent a me new one. The new one didn't last much longer and I replaced it with a Sony around 2004. I still have the Sony and it has always worked.
on January 30, 2002
This is my first DVD player purchase and the player works great so far. The first APEX 1500 I got though didn't work at all, the power wouldn't even come on. I decided to exchange it at my local Circuit City instead of returning it and the one that I have now works perfectly. It's having no problems playing my rented DVDs or my CDs.
As far as I can tell buying this player has been hit or miss for most people. You either get a good one or a bad one. I knew that I could possibly get a bad player when I purchased this but I figured it was worth a shot and I could always return it. I also knew that I could get a good, cheap DVD player if all turned out well. So I took a chance and I am happy with the product.
3 people found this helpful
on January 7, 2013
I thought that I made a good deal when buying this from the seller. Although I knew it was used, it still gave me problems shortly after the purchase. It tended to skip repeatedly when playing various DVDs. I really liked the Apex DVD Players, I was very disappointed in this product purchase.
VINE VOICEon April 6, 2002
Like other reviewers here, I could care less about anything other than playing a movie. I got this because it can play any format I've put in it. CDR, CDRW, DVD, VCD, SVCD, MP3 - you name it, this thing plays it. We've had this one a few months, but other APEX machines we have are over a year old and still going strong. Picture quality is fine and we have one hooked up to a surround sound system on which it has performed flawlessly. The price is certainly right, too.
10 people found this helpful
on November 17, 2002
I bought this simply because I'd read it could play region 2 DVDs (that is, DVDs from UK; actually, it plays any DVD from anywhere unlike normal DVDs which are tied to the country of origin). It does. But it's a clunky piece of equipment and I would not recommend it unless you need this feature. To 'get' the feature, you have to download firmware from the web, burn the firmware to a CD, then load the CD into the unit (search google for Apex AD 1500 region firmware). Once you've done that, it becomes a 'region free' DVD player (it also defeates macrovision, which means you can play the DVD through a VCR, which most DVD players cannot).
Otherwise, buy a more popular, well known brand. The picture quality is only so-so and it just looks like it was made extremely cheaply. But, I'm ordering another one right now so I have a backup, since I really need to be able to play region 2/PAL dvds, which almost no other (cheap) player does!
Note that there is no guarantee that the above technique will work, and you are absolutely voiding your warranty! Some models have a serial number that is known NOT to work.
Note also - I bought the Apex model 3201 from Amazon as well, and it too is 'region free' - without having to mess with firmware. BUT - the quality of that player is poor (locks up playing well known DVDs) and it's PAL->NTSC conversion looks decidedly worse than that of the 1500.
22 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.