- File Size: 841 KB
- Print Length: 210 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Simply Smashing Publishing; 2 edition (March 6, 2016)
- Publication Date: March 6, 2016
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B01CO464SG
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #185,291 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Apocalypse A.I. - The Seven (Apocalypse AI Book 1) Kindle Edition
|Length: 210 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
If I was an author I would not release incomplete works that will be rated. Write a complete story then write sequels, if the reader is frustrated by the first book they aren't moving on anyway. If you must fall into the book series trap/trend then write the books to be complete stories that subsequent books build on, like S. King's Dark Tower. The vast majority of book series don't have the delicate balance of the series mastered.
As other reviewers have pointed out this is an incomplete story, the pacing is way off. It is well written and has a fantastic futuristic plot concept. I am frustrated enough not to be moving on. Pity, this has so much potential.
The book starts with the central character, clearly a military pariah due to some unspecified misfeasance, considering taking a dangerous, but critical assignment, in a war between humanity and an A.I. named DANA. He accepts, and is assigned to lead a group of civilians (and one battle-hardened cyborg) to DANA's primary server cluster to infect it with a fatal virus. None of the group has been told why he or she had been selected.
Therefore, the author devotes most of his words to characters explaining themselves in monologue. Even though he handles this deftly, it became apparent about two-thirds of the way through that there would not be enough space for all the actors' stories. That's when I felt the dread of the possibility that the book would simply end, as if it were a mere chapter.
Unfortunately, I was right. Only two of "the seven" got the chance before the writing just stopped. None of the questions raised to that point had been answered. No issues had been resolved. This was not a cliff-hanger, it was a travesty that reminded me of the last episode of The Sopranos.
As I mentioned above, the author has a gift for language, with one glaring exception. He uses the plural "they" to refer to DANA. Now, I realize it has become grammatically acceptable to use that word in the singular when the speaker is not sure of gender or wishes not to specify it. However, DANA is a machine and, therefore, neither a "he" nor a "she" but rather an "it." Referring to it in the plural creates jagged bumps in an otherwise smooth narrative flow.
I was hoping for a military sci-fi novel in the mold of the Honor Harrington books by David Weber, especially since none of the other reviews mentioned the incomplete nature of this book. Each of the novels in the "Honorverse" is standalone with most, if not all, the conflicts resolved by book's end. Not Apocalypse A.I.
Most recent customer reviews
Firstly, I ‘bought’ this book for $0.Read more
surprised it's not twice as long. Apollo is a great character.Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Cyberpunk
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Genetic Engineering
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Cyberpunk
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Dystopian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Genetic Engineering
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Metaphysical & Visionary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic