Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 8, 2017
I am a Vietnam Vet. 1st Marine Division 65-66. I had to watch this film because I was watching another war film and it seemed so out of touch. I still see a VA shrink even today. Nam left a big impression on me. This film let me feel the intensity of the dark side of it which actually was very comforting in a sense. I have been told by different therapists to bring it all to the surface so I could deal with it but it is buried so deep that no one should have to hear about the dead and dying, besides they would not understand. I am actually wring this for me and if you care to disbelieve, then so be it.
1818 comments| 300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 12, 2016
Either version is good enough for what it is, but the REDUX has additional story lines not included in the other and the scenes have been rearranged. There are more supporting scenes meaning the players such as Harrison Ford and Robert Duvall have followup scenes that tie their bit to whole better. By ratio of the longer running time, Marlon Brando's performance is not as omnipresent which, in my opinion, is good thing. The combat violence and soldier talk are not gratuitous and seem natural and logical in their placement within the line of action. Still, it isn't for younger folk, but mature audiences 15 and up would probably appreciate this film. It is a solid historical replica of the era (Viet Nam War circa 1970).
on December 18, 2016
This movie has always been on my TOP TEN LIST. Francis Ford Coppola is a modern day Leonardo DaVinci when it comes to making visions of splendor and horror. And the HORROR of Vietnam is portrayed most excellently here! Along with the visual explosion there is also music interwoven with the soundtrack ( ie helicopters rotors) that pulls you so into this trip to Hell and back. Final note - a tribute to the master actor of our times - Marlon Brando. But of course Martin Sheen makes it all work.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 19, 2017
“Apocalypse Now” is an epic 1979 film by Francis Ford Coppola, which is considered to be the quintessential Vietnam War movie, and one of the greatest films of all time. Its story line is essentially an adaptation of the Joseph Conrad novella “Heart of Darkness,” and it depicts the mission of a United States Army Special Forces Captain to locate and terminate a renegade Special Forces Colonel, who has established his own breakaway colony, deep in the jungle. This Special Forces Captain embarks on a perilous and increasingly hallucinatory journey upriver, to track down the unstable Colonel, and prevent further insurrection. The acting performances are absolutely outstanding, and the stellar cast includes such luminaries as Martin Sheen, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper, Frederic Forrest, Albert Hall, Sam Bottoms, Scott Glenn, G.D. Spradlin, a young Harrison Ford, and an even younger Laurence Fishburne, to name a few. “Apocalypse Now” delivers a decidedly haunting and powerful portrayal of the horrors of war, and it is an unforgettable cinematic tour de force. “Apocalypse Now” is a gripping and spellbinding masterpiece, which truly merits a five-star rating, along with a strong recommendation.
on November 13, 2015
Though Apocalypse Now is set during the Vietnam War, it is not a film about the Vietnam War. It’s a story about the madness of humanity and a man’s journey into the abyss of his soul. The film is a nightmare that focuses on the tragedy of conflict and chaos. It is one of the few films that demonstrate a truth about the human experience through an imaginative piece of make-believe storytelling. A Vietnam soldier is sent on a mission to find a Colonel who has gone mad somewhere far along a long river in a secluded jungle who also has a large cult following. What is so extraordinary about this film is not just the story but also the amazing visual craftsmanship. There are so many scenes, so stunningly realized that they leave an imprint on the brain. Once the journey begins, Coppola weaves you in his web and doesn’t let go.
on February 1, 2016
I enjoyed the soundtrack and enjoyed the all-star cast. Robert Duvall's performance really stood out for me. Unfortunately, I had a hard time relating to most of the characters and never understood the "threat" or why the mission was all that necessary. Even if I removed my need to relate, I still couldn't make logical conclusions to why some of the characters made certain decisions in hostile environments all around them. I get some of the mental trauma that appears to be a side effect to conditions/situations found in the war, and those scenes I could at least understand the characters anguish. But some of the decisions they were making during the mission just seemed foolish or irrational to me.
So chalk it up to a fictional tale in a convincingly real and harsh environment, during a very real war-time. Now I was able to enjoy the realism of the setting and felt a genuine attempt to capture the authentic backdrop of the Vietnam War. I felt the real horrors and believed all the battle scenes could be true reenactments of real battles (or slaughters), as well as the unsettling results of human casualties. I did enjoyed the filmmakers perspective and noticed little things you don't necessarily see in other war movies. There was almost a hidden camera effect for me -- as if I wasn't meant to see what I just saw, but caught it accidentally when someone left the camera rolling by mistake! That made the movie compelling and unpredictable for me. Yes, I found this movie unpredictable due to nearly every character's mental instability, even though I watched this 35+ years after it was made.
If I may continue to ramble -- Amazon practically begged me to ramble about this movie ;-) -- Mr. Coppola was very consistent between scenes with his cinematography. He used a blending technique (I don't know what it's called) but there were basically two different shots fazed or faded or blended into each other, but either shot would linger and not resolve, like you might normally see in a transition between scenes. These shots, I believe, were there to show us the audience a physical representation of the character, while also showing the mind of the character, or perhaps an unseen trait of the character. This technique was used basically in the first shots of the movie, down to the very last. It was distracting at first, but I thought it gave Mr. Coppola a character to be played in the movie... a real behind the scenes character you didn’t realize was there. Although there was a spoken narration to the movie, Mr. Coppola added a unspoken narrative that looked past or through what was being said to the audience.
I’m sure film students could dissect this much better than me, and could probably talk more about the poetics of the film, or the colors, some similes, or how each character represented this or that… I was just impressed how this movie has held up against the test of time. Maybe due to the harsh reality and effects of war, since war seems to be a never-ending-story in our lives, but I did feel this was a very real look into the past and how America as whole maybe could not relate to what really was happening during that type war. It really gave you an inside look at the Horror.
on July 26, 2017
I am a Nam vet (1st Mar Div)and even though this was filmed in the Philippines, I think, you can get a fairly decent understanding of what we went through. Back then there was no PSDT. It was "go talk to the Chaplain". When we came back home, we weren't war heroes; we were were war zeros..."baby killers" I don't want to minimize what the troops went through in Afghanistan, Iraq, or any other wars because they went through similar horrendous situations and, fortunately, help is available for them today, however meager it may be. It took me a long time to realize that we were just pawns in some asinine board game. We used to call them the VietNam War Games and I still have my participant patch ... but I guarantee, it was not a game for most of the ones who were there. War is not pretty when you're up close and personal. Multiply this by 10 or 100 and you might get the idea. I think that people who are on food stamps and welfare should serve some time so they can appreciate the freebies they are getting.(rant over) The movie isn't that bad but is still Hollywood style.

Semper Fi
I'd seen the film decades ago but not recently and had forgotten much of it, somehow even the very disturbing sacrifice at the end. The politics of war are as relevant now as they were back then. Goes to show that nothing much has changed. I found some scenes particularly disturbing for the callous disregard for life, human or animal.

As far as Vietnam movies go, I actually preferred The Deer Hunter for its emotional impact but Apocalypse Now has its own unusual viewpoint, with a different way of looking at the mental illness suffered by the troops who went there. Keep your eyes and ears open for some now famous actors who were very young in this film and only just starting out.

Regarding the streaming, it was good quality with no problems at all.
on March 18, 2013
Apocalypse Now is Francis Ford Copella's visually stunning retelling of Joseph Conrad's anti-Imperialist novella Heart of Darkness. Set against the backdrop of America's darkest, most nebulous foreign conflict, the Vietnam War, Apocalypse Now tells the story of Captain Willard, a burned out Airborne officer is sent in country to dispatch an innovative military genius, the mysterious Col. Kurtz, who has gone native. The deeper Willard and his Navy patrol boat crew travel into the dark recesses of the Vietnam, the more the landscape and the risk of madness threaten to engulf them. As Willard witnesses the madness of war and learns about Kurtz from his dossier, he begins to question both his mission and those who sent him. The startling climax will leave both the protagonist and the viewer forever changed. I would also recommend "Hearts of Darkness," the documentary about the filming of Apocalypse Now and the effect it had on both cast and crew.
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 24, 2016
This is the 3rd time in 35 years that I watched this movie. I probably would watch it more if I had time.
I love war movies especially Viet Nam related movies.
This movie is according to people I know pretty close to how it really was at war time. Drugs, women, music, fear and death.
Martin Sheen does an excellent job, even better than Marlon Brando and Robert Duval "which was very good also.
I think if you like war time films, not a lot of war but a very good look into what Viet Nam was like, then you should watch this.
I only gave it 4 stars because 5 stars are meant for angels and gods